Register now to get rid of these ads!

Your favorite magazine issue

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Dec 6, 2012.

1. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I have many favorites, but the current top of the list is R&C August 1990. Ganahl was still editor, and he did several historical reviews: One on the best features in R&C history, one on the all-time top 20 rods & customs, and one showing every AMBR winner to date. There were also several good car features, including a blown Chrysler-powered turtledeck T that still shakes me.

Let me know if you want to see any of the contents here on the board.

2. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

The Tri-5 issue was an annual deal throughout most of the seventies and into the eighties. Think it started in '72 maybe?? I remember the first tri-five issue had a butterscotch yellow straight axle 55, with panel paint, flames in the panels, lots of chrome.

3. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

Feb 75 HotVw's.
    trj #36.

4. BOOB

BOOB
    from Taylor, TX

I hope someone can tell me the issue number....TRJ had an interview about Don Garlits and the first time he played with the 426 Hemi. It was absolutey beautiful! The best story I have ever heard (read)!!!

5. the Infamous Cal Look issue - a fave here as well. I was working for Auto Haus at the time, with quite a few DKP members!

6. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

7. firingorder1

firingorder1

The mag is out in the garage but its 1957 (not sure of the month) issue of HRM which featured Tommy Ivo's T. Since then I've been looking to see a better looking hot rod. Still looking.

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

One of my favorite ads was the army recruiting ad with Knutsons Novel-T. Hot damn!

9. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

January '70 Car Craft, the article on street racers day at Detroit Dragway, with Addisons car before it was silver, & John Baumanns '62 with the black steel rims on the back and skinny Keystones on the front, Randy Rehlings blown GTX...DAMN!!!

10. primed34

primed34

Nov. '73 Rod & Custom did it for me. Chopped tops were pretty rare at that time.

11. maybelene

maybelene

May 1976 Street Rodder. "The American Graffiti Cars - Complete Behind the Scenes Story" Cindy Williams is propped against the Coupe and a cowboy hat is on the hood of Falfa's '55. I had been waiting on the info since I saw the movie. Made my day. Also How to Stop Bump Steer and How to rub out paint.

12. MY fav is when 'The Horse' put my bike in their magazine.:)

13. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Oh ya, the red '23 "T" bucket with the blown Hemi on board and the "composite" Halibrand wheels... Bitchin' car and you betcha I wanna see it!

14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Got that one and damn near all the others over the years, but the one that still gets me was about '82s HVWs "Cal Look issue" with the red and black Ghia on the cover in front of the "Whaling wall" in Laguna...

15. ardyboy

ardyboy

So far, the latest issue of Gasser in my favorite.

Attached Files:

16. NHRANUT

NHRANUT
    from Western PA

One of my favorites too. :) But have you seen the new Gasser Wars magazine? It's my #1 now.

17. This one. But I might be biased.

[​IMG]

18. Muttley

Muttley

A bunch of pictures of old Hot Rod covers.

19. Bdamfino

Bdamfino
    from Hamlet, NC

January 78 Hot Rod, not for the V6 Buick cover, but Baskerville's The Hot Rod Story part 1, June 1966 Hot Rod, not just for my birthmonth but the illustration of Barris' tv cars on the cover, Hot Rod August 1982 for the Deuce fiftieth, Rod and Custom July 67 for having all the Early Times rods on the cover, man too much paper in the closet!!!!

20. ardyboy

ardyboy

gonna hafta find one Bob--thanks

21. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I just had that one out of the collection the other night Dean. I was trying to explain to the girlfriend how cool it is to have been reading this stuff over my entire life and now via the H.A.M.B. be able to sit and converse with guys like you that I have looked up too for so long.

22. silent rick

silent rick

i seem to remember an annual or best of magazine that had a channelled deuce coupe with a blown big block on the back cover that i used to stare at for hours. i don't know what i did with it.

23. jesse1980

jesse1980

May 1963 hot rod.

24. Hey my Cal-Looker was in HVW around 2004 at the Michigan Bug Out leaving the line. I know many of the current DKP guys today and had lunch with Bill S a couple of sumers ago when he came to visit his Wife's family. Of course the Feb 75 issue is the one to have

25. My personal favorite is June 1965 HOT ROD.

Not long after I went to work at the magazine in 2006, I was at the Wilshire Boulevard offices going through the back issue library, doing some story research, when I came across this issue.

When I looked at the cover, I realized that this was the very first issue of HOT ROD I had purchased myself as a little kid, using my own nickels and dimes at the local drugstore. It was sort of a moment. I had read this issue all those years ago, and now I was reading it again -- at the HOT ROD offices as a HOT ROD editor. Small world, or something.

[​IMG]

26. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just ONE? You're kidding, right?? :D

27. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ya, I might have narrowed that down a bit tightly... If you noticed in the next paragraph I mentioned "top six or so" but even then that's gonna be tough!

28. 5window

5window

My favorite is next month's. I've already read the rest,saved the best. Next month';s is like Christmas Eve:anticipation. Never disappoints.

29. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

1955 or 1956 Custom Cars Annual by Trend Books. It's the best of the best in customs of my favorite era!

30. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Scan some and throw them up here!