Register now to get rid of these ads!

Penetrating Oils and Rusted Nuts Torque Test Results

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rob68, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Rob68

Rob68

Came across this at work today. Thought it interesting.

A small magazine recently published an article on penetrating oils. They tested popular penetrants for break out torque on rusted nuts. These are the results.
    Penetrating oil average torque load to loosen:
    No oil... 516 pounds
    WD-40... 238 pounds
    PB Blaster... 214 pounds
    Liquid Wrench...127 pounds
    Kano Kroil...106 pounds
    Acetone/ATF Mix...106 pounds (Acetone mix is 50/50 and you can use lacquer thinner in place of acetone).

I assume pounds is refering to foot pounds not inch pounds but then I'm not that smart.
    Any thoughts on this or penetrants not listed?

2. Cali4niaCruiser

Cali4niaCruiser

Seems like it would be a difficult test to run a control. Ya know, all stuck to the same degree? PB has always been my penetrant of choice!

3. hd4unm

hd4unm

4. Squablow

Squablow

I got a can of Seafoam Deep Creep and have been super impressed with it, makes an awesome cutting oil for drilling out spot welds. It's expensive, but damn, it seems to work really well.

I also wonder how they were able to control those results, seems like every one would be different, you'd have to have a HUGE sample size.

5. Rob68

Rob68

"I also wonder how they were able to control those results, seems like every one would be different, you'd have to have a HUGE sample size."

I wondered the same thing.

6. slammed

slammed

7. Tweed Deluxe

Tweed Deluxe
    from England

I've seen this before somewhere. From memory, they weren't testing threaded fasteners. They pressed pins into holes and let them corrode, then measured the force to press them out again.

8. Gman0046

Gman0046

WD-40 is NOT a penetrating oil. Its purpose is to displace water thats why its called WD.

9. NickJT

NickJT
    from S.E. PA

10. 117harv

117harv

I use WD-40 for cutting purposes mostly and as a penetrating lube when needed. I just bought some Gibbs, I got it to use as an anti rust coating for bare steel, however it works REALLY good for freeing rusted parts, much better than WD-40.

Some of the others I have not used, what about Marvel Mystery Oil for freeing rusted parts and as a bare metal protectant?

11. I think I'll mix some acetone and atf.

12. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

pb blast works awesome..

13. parklane

parklane

I've been using acetone /ATF for a couple years, and its the best and cheapest stuff I ever used. Just make sure you shake it before using, cuz the ATF settles.

14. lawman

lawman

Good info Guy's !!!!

15. Jpriebe66

Jpriebe66

I always swore by CRC556, but I can't find it any more?

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

16. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

We had our garage door service company working on one of our 22 foot wide doors. They use a roller that has a 10 inch long shaft that goes through two bushings. The lowest one was rusted and wouldn't move. They were spraying PB Blaster on it for 2 hours and couldn't get it to move. They told me they were going to have to order a new hinge and roller. I gave him some KW Knocker Loose to try and in 5 minutes he had it freed up and was asking me where to get more of it.

A PB Blaster rep came around with their air tool cleaner and demonstrated it on one of our 3/4" drive air wrenches, which promptly locked up while he was cleaning it.

17. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

They now make a rust release penetrant. I haven't tried it yet.

18. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

how strange..I've loosened up seized engines with pb...

19. 50/50 atf acetone mix or beeswax!

20. dad-bud

dad-bud

21. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

i used to love "liquid wrench" but in california, i seems like they re-formulated it. i does'nt smell the same or work as fast. i go out to my dads and he must have bought the bulk 1gal. because his small squirt bottle with the long hose that he has had from back the 60's was still full, smelling right and working fast! i ask him to "will" it to me. damn you e.p.a., a.q.m.d.,c.a.r.b, and anyone else who had a part in screwing things up here!

22. Yeah,but I did gleen some new info:D

23. X2 on the gibbs oil...I tried it on some stuck, rusted parts and ti worked great.

24. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

X3 on Gibbs Brand. Once you've tried it you'll never use anything else. It is a little on the expensive side but the best usually does cost a little more. Most of the bigger police departments and the FBI use it exclusively on their firearms.

Frank

25. gas pumper

gas pumper

Liquid Wrench......The source of liquid wrench was a byproduct of manufactured city gas. A process that distilled coal into a gas. Remember them big huge gas pressure towers in every city and town years ago? This liquid would condense out of the gas as it travelled thru the system.
    Still to this day the requirement for "drip legs" before every gas appliance still stands. The liquid residue in the drip legs was "liquid wrench"

Now we use natural gas instead of manufactured gas so the source of the liquid is gone.

Acetone and brake fluid, 50/50. And used brake fluid is free.

26. ibarodder

ibarodder

A 50/50 mix of ATF and kerosene works pretty well ,
    plus its cheap ..

27. derbydad276

derbydad276

I had a piston with rings rusted to it soaked in atf 2 days ... rings peeled right out

28. GREASER815

GREASER815

Best I have ever used is Case IH Industrial strength rust penetrant, foams, and will creep upward into rusted parts.

29. jambottle

jambottle

that`s interesting,i tried gibbs by grinding the paint of a piece of body metal and sprayed one piece with gibbs and the other left bare. after a little rain the gibbs and bare metal both showed rust.lps rust procter seemed to work best but i never tried painting over it.it must be our acid rain here in nova scotia that does the gibbs in.

30. Bryan G

Bryan G
    from Delmarva

The PB formula got changed at some point. I first discovered the stuff in the early 90s when I saw the little demo on the side of the can showing how it would melt a foam cup. Had a lot of fun melting cups that day! (more fun with laquer thinner) Anyway, apparently it doesn't melt styrofoam anymore, or at least not like it used to. I found that out from a salesman for some other product whose name I can't remember.