Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford’s 2.0/2.3/2.5 litre engine family guide

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kenneth S, Dec 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nickleone

nickleone

I have a PONY RAM manifold carbs and the engine it was on in 1974.
    I was looking for another carb for my 62 rambler 6 cylinder custom manifold to make a "TRI POWER" out of it.
    Found out the carbs are made from "unobtanium" just like you.
    Thanks for the hygrade kit info. I may one day put the 2.0 into something.
    The PONY RAM gave the 2.0 more top end speed. In fact at about 105 mph the wipers floated off the windshield of the 71 Pinto LOL.
    I bought that car new in 71.

Nick

2. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

Look for a late 1970's-early 1980's Ford Courier with a 2.3. some had C4's in them (if you find one grab the flexplate, and torque conver also). There is also an adaptor to fit the 2.3 to a small block Ford bellhousing. http://www.cididit.com/adaptor_plate.htm There is also flywheel for a manual trans to small block Ford bellhousing. http://www.stinger-performance.com/suspensionparts.html There is no flexplate for this setup.

3. Phil1934

Phil1934

Quick Time has an SFI C4 bell.

4. Third DodgeBrother

Third DodgeBrother

Ken, Phil

The guys at my local yards laugh at me when I ask for anything pre-1990. Shoot, they chuckle if I say C4!

Pintos came with 2.3/C4 in the mid-seventies. I think I have one of those bells, if not, there's one on Ebay, also lots of flexplates for the Pinto app.

Question now is: Will late starter/pinto flexplate/ACC 12" converter combo work? Hope you guys can tell me before I spend $50 -100 to find out!

5. Phil1934

Phil1934

Flexplate need to be a c-4 one.
    Bellhousing will carry a casting number of D42F7976AA.

6. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

Alot of the 2.3's had the very weak C3 automatic behind them. It kinda looks like a C4, but it isn't.

1oldtimer likes this.
  7. wild.stuff

wild.stuff

8. Rokhound

Rokhound
    from iowa

does any one have the specs on this set up. Its Turbo26t's ride

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7183820&postcount=174

answer my own question a bit:
    What has been done on the inside cam and port polish those kinda of thing??

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  9. GirchyGirchy

GirchyGirchy
    from Central IN

My '79 Pinto had a 2.3L/C3 combo. Slow as hell, but certainly durable.

10. banginona40

banginona40

I was wondering what would be the best donor vehicle to make a 2.3 T-5 swap?
    Rather than mix and match parts and have the shifter in a good position for a '33 Ford pickup. Thanks.

11. I bought another Met a few months ago, a 61 convertable. Has a 2.3 (1992)
    Have a 58 with a 2.0 (1972) in it also.
    In doing some reading, I found the 2.0 has 86 to 90 hp & the 2.3 has 105 hp. The 1992 is fuel injected with all the wiring & sensors. I'm wondering if its worth the extra wiring work for 15 more hp. Oh well, the engine is already in, so guess I'm stuck with it:rolleyes:

12. Because, if you look at the first post, this thread is about the "Lima" 4 banger and to a certain extent the EAO 2.0 motor that begat the Lima, not the newer and more modern Duratec.

13. metalshapes

metalshapes

The Pinto is in the gray area of being off topic too, but with a thread like this one, where a lot of Users have invested in it with a lot of knowledge, its grandfathered in.

With the Duratec, its no question.
    That one is way too new, and Off Topic for a site that concentrates on Trad Hot Rods and Trad Customs.

( the Pinto was introduced in '70, the Duratec in '93 )

Its also typical that people will start complaining about their deleted threads on other threads that they feel has are similarly Off Topic.
    Instead of asking the question in the Q & S Forum, which would be the right place for discussions like that...

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  14. Kamp

Kamp
    from Peoria, IL

This is realy interesting information. I've always liked the 2.3 for various reasons, and had one several years ago. 11.5:1 compression, roller cam, ported w/ big valves, holley 390 4 bbl, etc... Most of the parts were Racer Walsh and Esslinger, and that little guy ran GOOD. Kept up with a brand new (at the time) LT1 6 speed Camaro - I was impressed for 1/2 the engine and 2 fewer gears.
    With a 3.73 gear, no O.D. and some really short tires, it still got like 18 mpg.
    I still know where that engine is.... and have been trying to get it back for years :rolleyes:
    I want to put it in a 'glass T track nose body, tube chassis and all lightweight parts... try to get something that's 300 hp, 1500 pounds, and 25-30 mpg to drive as my "econo-box"

15. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

Another thing with the duratec (besides being too new) is the fact that you can't easily "de-computerize" it, and just stick a readily available distributor in it, along with bolting on a readily available carburated intake manifold for it like you can with the lima engine.

A duratec powered hot rod would be more suited for the http://www.dogfightmag.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?2-The-DOGFIGHT-Forum

16. What is a good replacement for the stock carb? Any bolt on replacements? Or do you need to get intake and carb combo?

17. Very common swap is the Weber 32/36 progressive carb. Try Redline, they carry them

18. Black Primer

Black Primer

Dosen't a holley 350 bolt right up to a stock intake?

Anybody know if any ford dipstick tube will fit a 2.3? Mine is broken off at the block and I haven't had much luck locating a used one. Thanks

19. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

If you have the stock 2bbl Weber craburated intake just remove the adaptor, get a 1/2" thick aluminum spacer, and bolt a Holley 350cfm, or Motorcraft 2bbl carb on it. After a little tuning it will run better than it ever had.

20. Today I bought an 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe with 5 speed, 5 Turbo Engines, one T-5 transmission and three turbos. Got all of it for $1,000. It feels like Christmas.

21. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

You should be arrested!! That's a steal!!!

22. I thought so too. It had been posted on TurboFord for several months. The kid needed money (2 babies and a 3d on the way).

I paid his asking price. I think I am going to give the car to my son Wes.

23. Rokhound

Rokhound
    from iowa

hey guys i just pick up one of these motors looking to build a n/a motor looking for any help would be great i would like to put a bigger cam in it (which one something like an offroad cam maybe??) and different carb on it. Its out of a 79 zepher so what else can i do to make this thing a little more peppy

looking back a couple post:
    just remove the adaptor, get a 1/2" thick aluminum spacer, and bolt a Holley 350cfm, or Motorcraft 2bbl carb on it. After a little tuning it will run better than it ever had.

what aluminum spacer and where do i find one?? esslinge racing maybe thanks

24. I like this plan. What about all the , EGR, and the waterlines that go to the stock carb's choke? Also, can I remove all the emissions vaccuum lines and the emmisions stuff attached to the manifold. Or, what is a good carb/manifold combo I can buy? Will a 350cfm be too large for a stock engine? Thanks for helping me out. I have a '74 Mustang II (quit laughing) I am going to start driving daily, and want a little more power in the old 4 cylinder!

25. I have heard that the intake manifild on my 2.3 is a good one to use, after the emissions is removed and plugged. Is this true and what all do I need to remove and plug without totally screwing something up? I plan on removing the adaptor plate, egr, and carb and replace with a 2barrel ford 350.

26. Picking up the Aluminum Head from Esslinger either today or tomorrow ~ can't wait.

27. Which Esslinger head are your getting?

I sold an ARCA, but I may be getting it back.

28. the Aluminum D Port Street head

29. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Just was GIVEN another 2.3 Ford today by a friend out in Apache Junction. It's complete with the head removed and looks to be in pretty good shape over all. I see this one getting a head gasket and timing belt and going into service in my full fendered "T" roadster.

30. farcus1

farcus1

As for shifter position, this link to a sister site has good info.

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91594

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.