Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Searching for 1948 Tucker photos

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tucker Fan 48, Nov 26, 2010.

1. what happened to dean cruze's car after the auction buisiness went belly up?

2. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

Let me know what city it was in and I'll see if I have it.

Cruse owned #1003 for a short time.

3. I've seen Cruse's car at the labor day auction, at Auburn, In. It was on display. In the late 90's, My Classic Car used to have a big car show here. The show is produced in Evansville, In. there was a dark green one there one year. A young guy from Chicago owned it. Said he had another one at home. Real nice guy, I talked to him for an hour.

4. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

I had better luck with Whitey. He let me go back a few times. It always seemed like most of his cars could be driven out of the yard. I know his parts cars were better than what I was driving.

Do you remember Sid's Auto Parts? It was over on Radission Road and about 98th. It is part of the airport now. Sid always had late model stuff that looked like it was just driven in off the street. Turned out it was as Sid was "borrowing" cars and selling off the parts in his yard. I think he got 5 years in Stillwater.

5. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

I don't have anything on it. Send me an address and any names you might have connected with it and I'll do some checking.

6. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

I'm thinking this may have been early 90s? #1048 was in that area until 1995.

7. if your talking about dean cruse that was '06

the one at "my classic car" was about 97 or 98.

the address is 529 south green st. henderson ky. 42420 i don't have any names, but, might be able to get some.

8. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

What color was the car at Cruse's? The one in 97 or 98 is puzzling. Very few owners had a second car. Out of the 8 original green Tuckers only 5 are still green. None are linked to Chicago. Detroit maybe?

9. gyronaut

gyronaut

From 1951: The "first production model" appears to have been displayed by John Woytonovich (Woytovich, sp???) of Irvington, New Jersey.

[​IMG]

It was in this publication (pics by Walter Miller, eBay):

[​IMG]

10. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

This 1948 Tucker is serial #1001 and was owned by John Woytowich. Originally a maroon car, it was green by the time he bought it in 1950. It stayed in the Woytowich family until 1972 when it was sold to Dave Cammack its present owner.

11. sub006

sub006

I just saw the Barrett-Jackson catalog for the auction coming up in Scottsdale. A blue two-door "converted" Tucker will be on the block.

12. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

I'm glad that you mentioned that. I have been wracking my brain trying to remember where the show was that I saw the Tucker. Since you reminded me, now i recall that it was for sure at Greenburgs. There was also a chromed out 427 R code 64 Galaxie at the same show that I was very impressed by

13. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  14. My father worked for Tucker and he owned #1024 for years.

Ted Tallent

15. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

Ted,

I have Jesse as the first owner of #1024. Do you have any photos of the car from that period? Any idea who he sold the car to? I know where it was in 1953 but didn't know if your family had it from 1948 until then.

16. Squablow

Squablow

My girl and I rented Cry Baby this weekend and I noticed on the back of the box, the cast is posing with a flamed black Tucker, even though the car in the movie is a '51 Ford. The flames look pretty clip-art to me, but the car looks real, whether or not they actually posed with it for the picture, I don't know.

Anyone know which car this was, and if the pic was actually staged or completely photoshopped together?

Interesting at least, one more pic for the Tucker collection, I don't think anyone has posted it yet.

Attached Files:

17. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

I did a little research and found that the photo is of Tucker #1008 from several years back. The flames were added and the people in front were photo shopped in. Thanks for posting it !

18. I don't know the name of the person to whom my father sold the car but that 1953 timeline is about right. There is only one existing photo which my sister currently has. As best I can tell there have only been 5 owners of the car; my father, the man from Dallas, the owner of Dominoes Pizza, the Gasts at the Strasburg, PA museum and Bill Smith the current owner.

19. Tucker 48 Fan,
    So, I'm at a museum in Hershey Pa around 1971-72 and I see a tucker sitting there (blue I think) and next to it was a spare engine. I only remember this because at the time, I thought it was a corvair motor.:D The only thing I remember about the car, (the engine interested me more), was noticing how the door cut into the roof and how that roof line reminded me of a 63 vette. Any idea which Tucker that was?

20. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

I'd love to see the photo if you can get a scan of it sometime. You are correct on the ownership although there were a few different members of the Burns family that owned it during the period from 1953 to 1986. They were from Wichita Falls TX

I'm curious to know how your father ended up with the car. It was listed as a Tucker Corporation asset on 3/3/1949 and was to be auctioned off in October 1950 with the rest of the assets. I do not see your father listed as either a registered bidder at the auction or buyer. There was only one bidder from Texas and they were from Houston. Do you have any information about it?

21. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

22. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

There were several in Hershey over the years. I'm going to guess it was #1008 since you mention a spare motor. The owner at that time had a couple extra motors and lived not far from Hershey.

23. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

Attached Files:

24. noboD

noboD

Was the museum named Zimmerman's?

25. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

Gene Zimmerman's Automobilorama at the Holiday West Motel was located on U.S. 15 just off the Pennsylvania Turnpike's Harrisburg West Shore exit in Harrisburg PA. Zimmerman owned Tucker #1049.

Harrisburg is less than 20 miles from Hershey is that is a possibility. Tucker #1049 was painted an aqua color at that time. It was not an original Tucker color but #1049, #1045, and #1010 all ended up wearing it for awhile.

During the time Zimmerman owned it he had a sign on the car that said it was one of only 19 built. Several Tucker historians at the time tried to get him to change it but he refused insisting he was correct and that there were only 19 Tuckers.

26. noboD

noboD

I know the building well. Somehow I missed going while he had it a car musuem, don't know what I was thinking.

27. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

Finally figured out exactly where this place was. All of his advertising and news articles say US 15 at the Pennsylvania Turnpike or Pennsylvania Turnpike at the Gettysburg Exit. I know the building no longer exists but I love to pin down former Tucker locations. I understand it even had a golf course.

It was located on the SE Corner of the interchange. Originally it was the Holiday Motor Hotel. A 1956 photo shows it was the only thing out there.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  28. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

29. noboD

noboD

IF48, I'm pretty sure the building is still there. Only time I was in it it was an indoor flea market for antiques. I don't remember a golf course, could have been one.