Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Model A Coupe seat ideas?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rods&cycles, Dec 4, 2012.

1. rods&cycles

rods&cycles
    from Iowa

Just getting my '29 hot rod coupe project underway. While I'm waiting on the new chassis to arrive I thought I'd turn my attention to the interior, column length and location, pedal location and seat.
    I've already removed the package shelf and I'm curious what folks are using for seats? Minivan, buckets, OEM or aftermarket?
    Thanks in advance!

2. bustingear

bustingear

Center seat minivan
    Some are too wide
    Just measure

3. Brandi

Brandi

Made mine from a cut up stock seat riser, plywood and foam.

4. 117harv

117harv

5. pincher

pincher
    from Saginaw

I recently picked up a center seat out of a 1990 Dodge Carivan for my 27 T coupe. It fits great........PINCHER

6. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

I've seen plenty of the Caravan seats used and they fit just fine. I have one from an Aerostar in my rpu (temporarily) and I had to peel the foam up and narrow the front of the frame a couple inches, might not have to on a coupe. Has the fold down arm rest on the passenger side though.
    A friend of mine found a way cool set of leather buckets in the second row of some kind of 90s GM Van. I can't say the name but it was one of those ugly-assed Oldsmobile variations. He has those in his speedster.

7. 5window

5window

I'm using '84-'85 Fiero seats. Nice seat, just fits- a bit high but that's fine-still fits with my 3.5" chopped '31. These are the years that have stereo speakers in the headrests-unobtrusive way to hear the music if you are old with a noisy car. MrMike.com sells leather reupholstery kits and mine came out well at about 2 hours labor each.

8. A Boner

A Boner

If it's chopped and channeled.....just put a pad on the floor.

9. rods&cycles

rods&cycles
    from Iowa

Thanks for the input everyone!
    I think I'll hit the salvage yards this weekend now that I have some direction.

10. Mr. Rooster

Mr. Rooster

I made mine out of an old bus seat. Leaned it back a bit. Plan on cutting back down a bit when I re-upholster.

11. ADReese

ADReese
    from spokane

Its been mentioned on here before, but the older Mazda mpv seats are amazing. Just about the same dimensions as a caravan but they have sliding tracks and recline. Have one in a model a sedan, works great!

12. The Olds was called a Sillouette or something like that. The one I got a look in had modular seats with rounded tops that would look right out of the 50s if you put the right covers on them.

13. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

I looked at every seat in the junkyards, but nothing turned me on. I used a set of cool old '29 sedan front seats in my coupe. They mount different than the coupe bench, but they look really good in there.

The best part is, the backs lean forward for some storage behind the seats.

14. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Yeah, those and I think they are only 19 inches wide so they fit in tight spaces too. I've been watching for a set but most of those vans are long gone to the crusher around here.