Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects WOW an Update (#2) My '37 Chev truck build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by K13, Sep 26, 2011.

1. See post #57:D I don't have any pictures(I can get some) but it sounds like you are trying to move it out from where I have mine so they may not be much help. Let me know.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. nhmikel

nhmikel
    from NH

May I ask what is the rough dimension from
    top of battery post to top inside of floor?

3. nhmikel

nhmikel
    from NH

Good job on the metal prep
    What color you leaning towards?
    May I ask what is the rough dimension from
    top of battery post to top inside of floor?

4. Thanks
    I am leaning towards a maroon color but I have changed my mind about 100 times.:eek:

The bottom of my battery tray sits about 10 1/4" from the bottom of the floor and the battery I hope to use is about 7 1/2" tall so I have about 2 3/4" of space above it.

5. The Big M

The Big M

Great build. Excellent job on the bed floor and I'm digging those gas tank straps. Subscribed!

6. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Is this thing painted yet??

I love your truck and the kustom touches youre doing to it.

The Appletons will look killer ;)

7. Not til next year now :(

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

Attached Files:

8. koolkemp

koolkemp

ewwww whats that whit shit!!

9. LOL that's the 40cm of snow we got on Wednesday:( And to make it worse it wasn't even our normal dry light stuff it was Maritime style heavy and wet.:D

10. We got the light fluffy stuff down here,
    but it hasn't stopped falling for the last two days!
    The older I get the more I hate winter!

11. Well the weather has sucked balls for doing much fabrication wise. I really need to get the cab off the chassis to finish some loose ends on the chassis but snow and cold weather has made that pretty much impossible for the last month so I have been playing around with some upholstery. I have never done anything like this before so we will see how it goes. Don't be too mean with your criticism.:eek:

I am doing a dark blue/white color tuck and roll interior. I decided to go with cloth inserts (dark blue color) because I found some material I liked that was reasonable and I don't think it will get as ripping hot as a similar color of vinyl in the summer.

Sorry for the shitty cell phone pictures it was all I had with me at the time.

This is the start of a door panel. I started by laying out my pleats.
    [​IMG]

Sew up the pleats.
    [​IMG]

Add the welting.
    [​IMG]

Sew on the white vinyl. Not sure what happened with this picture but it makes the pleats look like they are going all over the place they are pretty straight in real life and will be straight once mounted on the door panel.:confused:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

That is as far as I got because I need to get some more welting cord and some panel clips before I do any more. Thanks for checking in.

12. Great job - nice and neat, great blue color gives a nice contrast to the white vinyl.

Did you use anything to back up the pleats to give it the "pleated" look before sewing?

13. Thanks!

I used a 1/2" sew foam to do the pleats. Top stitched it and then stitched it from the backside to hide the stitch. Technically it is not tuck and roll.

14. n847

n847

Awesome work...what kind of sewing machine did you use? It looks great. I would be proud to hang that on my door!

15. Thanks guys!!

I have a Pfaff 1245. I got it for a really good deal from a local workshop that employs handicapped people. It is a clutch style machine and was too much for them to learn on. It was WAY too much for me to learn on but I changed the drive pulley on it and slowed it down. You would have seen my fingers sewn into that panel if I hadn't.:D

You definitely need a compound walking foot machine to do this type of work. By the time you get a couple of layers of 1/2" foam and 4 layers of material down you are sewing through a mountain of stuff and this machine just blasts through it.

16. LOOKS KILLER! Very nice.

17. Thanks Paul!

18. Well I tried to mount my Appleton again with a little more success. Took quite a bit of docking around and I am going to have to close up some holes but this is as good as it is going to get. The inside mount is going to be a bitch and I may have to do something with door panel.to keep it from rubbing but we will see.

Attached Files:

19. Well here is a bit of an upholstery update. I have to give a big thanks to Beachbum Jim on the HAMB for anwering a ton of my questions about things. Anyways here we go.

This is the completed upholstery for the door panel. It is not mounted yet but the sewing is done. I have actually completed one for each door.
    [​IMG]

The pleated section will continue into the kick panel and will finish off like this. The white still needs to be added.
    [​IMG]

And I have started on the seat. You can kind of see it at the bottom of the first pick of the door panel. but here are some other shots. It still is in pieces and needs to be sewn together.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Looking good Ian, keep up the good worK!!!

21. lawman

lawman

Very Very nice work !!!! Love those 36-38's.

22. Looking good K.It takes balls to just do your own interior when that isn't your trade.Keep up the good work.

On the spots did you try drilling from the inside at all ? Just curious.

23. Thanks guys!

Thanks Jeff I actually just ended up going from the outside and then adjusted the hole on the inside once I was through. Both holes are kind of a mess and will need some cleaning up and rewelding but doing things over is nothing new. It's the price you pay when you really don't know what you are doing :). Glad I didn't try it once my car was painted like you did it would have been a disaster.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

24. Well I wasn't smart enough to do em while the car was in bare metal.Now that I think of it.....I dont think I had the spots until it was already in color.

25. First time I have seen this post. Very neat truck and clean work. I like the direction you have taken on this. There is one of these truck in my neighborhood but I have projects already. Very tasty.

26. Thanks Curbspeed!

27. So it looks like you got that stitching figured out,
    and you live relatively close,
    hmmm, got to keep that in mind :D
    Looks good!

28. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

wow very nice...