Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1931 Dodge 3W coupe build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bostonhemi, Dec 4, 2012.

1. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm a middle aged guy who has chosen to relive part of my youth. As you may have guessed, a car is part of this story; not just any car but a 1931 Dodge Brothers 3 window rumble seat coupe DH6.
    A little about myself. The first time I remember when the car bug bit me was when dad purchased a new 60's Mustang light green automatic. A few years later he was considering trading it for a Mustang Cobra II which I thought was the coolest car around LOL. A few years after that I landed a job at a local garage in the greater Boston area sweeping floors, fixin tires, etc.. The head mechanic had a 57 Chevy 327 4speed. Then, I attended vocational high school where I nearly bought my teachers Model A project until I opened my big mouth and told him I was going to hot rod it. Now I know better. All that ended in the early 90's when I attended college. Now here I am about 20 yrs later been saving as much as I can to start a new project.
    A little about the car. The engine is a 1955 Chrysler 331 hemi industrial short block with 60 over 9 to 1 pistons. Cam; not sure what make was told its 514 lift at the spring but I dont understand what that means exactly. The heads are 51 331 heads with new 2'' valves. The tranny is a 700r4 with a 2200-2400 stall converter. The rear end is an s-10 with 4:11's. so I found a local shop to install the mustang II front chassis n box the frame and BOY AM I PAYING FOR IT! My intent is to keep the body stock looking except for the smoothie rims with baby moons. I will be unable to paint it soon as the shop has already taken half my budget. But when I do I will either paint it all black or grey with black fenders and stripping. (only 2 choices) Some input from you guys would be appreciated. TY.
    Here are some photos of the project. I'm not sure when I can post next time money is getting tight. TY all for sharing your fine machines (mo-sheens) with another car guy.

tb33anda3rd and 1927graham like this.
  2. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here are some pics.

Attached Files:

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  3. john walker

john walker

who supplies the timing cover and water pump?

4. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hot Heads research. Alot of engine parts came from them.

CapeCodBob likes this.

5. indyjps

indyjps

Well no one gave you shit about the mustang2 yet. Full fender car will hide it anyway. Welcome, car looks great, I'd run the paint that's on it. Lot of times the stock resto guys hide a lot of garbage bodywork.

Hardcaliber and CapeCodBob like this.
  6. indyjps

indyjps

What's the engine swap timeline, are you doing it?

7. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I having the chassis shop install the motor mounts with mock up block. Not sure about the firewall to notch or replace. I'm leaning toward notching it for now. I dont have a garage so I may get a car tent for the backyard n finish off the easy stuff myself in the spring.

8. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

welcome bostonhemi! and fellow Dodge Brother mines a 29 5w coupe, also with a hemi

9. Gremlinguy

Gremlinguy

That is a good looking 3 window!

10. expavr

expavr

I had to move the firewall back 3" and notch it to fit the 392 hemi under the hood and side covers on my 33 Imperial. Something to think about if you're planning to run with the sides on.

Attached Files:

afaulk likes this.
  11. Going to be a great looking ride! Looks like you'll have plenty of motor. Just curious what shop you used. I'm just up the road from you in New Hampshire.

12. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Expav, did you fabricate a firewall or buy one? I would like to know from who n how much TY.

13. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

TFoc, Its Camco. (custom auto machine) They are located in weymouth, mass. This is the 5th engine Dana built for me. He has built many Hemis but this is my first Hemi build. They race under the name The Hard Guys. (video on tube) TY

14. Man, that,s a nice car to start with. Unwanted original parts should sell off easily.

15. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Couple more pics.

Attached Files:

nunattax and tb33anda3rd like this.
  16. noboD

noboD

Interesting statement. Bostonhemi, you have me confused. First of all welcome to the HAMB. I've read all the drama on AACA website when you attempted to sell the original parts. Those A-holes had no right to beat you up the way they did. If you paid for the car it's yours, whether they, or I, or anyone else agrees with what you are doing. BUT I've seen the parts, and car for sale several places. Are you building it for sure or not? You are starting with a very good car from what pics show. I hope it all works out for you.

CapeCodBob likes this.
  17. Here are a few coupes from my 1931 Dodge DH6 file....

Attached Files:

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  18. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The car is NOT for sale. You may have seen some old adds. Only the drivetrain and maybe some odd parts. I am definately going to get this done or at least driving by next summer. I sure feel more at home here. TY

CapeCodBob likes this.
  19. noboD

noboD

Good for you! There's a ton of GOOD people here.

CapeCodBob likes this.
  20. expavr

expavr

Fabricated it. I tried sending you photos responding to your IM last night, but there was no way to attach them. The photos below show the before and after firewall. That shiny plate at the bottom of the firewall is the offset steering box I mentioned in last night's post. The hole in the floor is for the brake pedal. No clutch -I'm using a Dodge 518 OD trans.

Attached Files:

21. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mocked up 331 Hemi pics.

Attached Files:

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  22. farmer12

farmer12

What a great project! Love it. That mock up Hemi looks right in place. Looking forward to the next progress report!

23. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ty farmer. Here are a few more pics. I typed description but lost everything says wasnt logged in.

Attached Files:

24. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hardened shackles ford 1 3/4''. Bushings 55-57 jeep. o/d .88 rear spring inner diameter shackle .49''. Steel tubing welding shop scrap. need to ream bushing to fit correctly.

Couldnt ream bushing so I rolled it over the belt sander until it was .88 on the digital gauge.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  25. hallrods

hallrods

Nice choice can't wait to see another 1931 dodge with a hemi are you keeping the fenders?

Attached Files:

26. hallrods

hallrods

31 Dodger that's a picture of my car when I bought it off ebay.

27. Yep.....I have a LOT of 1931 Dodge photos. I have quite a few of bostonhemi's car before he owned it, too. Here is a buddie's '33 DeSoto with a HEMI....

Attached Files:

28. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes hall i'm keeping the fenders and the side panels of the hood if possible. Nice desoto Dodger.

29. expavr

expavr

Have you tried the side panels over the engine mockup with the valve covers on? What trans are you running?

30. drflex

drflex

nice project

41rodderz likes this.