Register now to get rid of these ads!

Solinoid doors and push button starters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34 Hound, Dec 5, 2012.

1. 34 Hound

34 Hound

I'm planning on solenoid operated doors, no ext. handles, and therefore no need to lock/unlock. I'd also like to install a push button start.... Proximity fob system with a start button on the dash.

The istart (Ron Francis) unit allows you to unlock the doors with a fob button and then start the car with the dash button (keyless), but I don't think you can open each door separately with the buttons on the fob. The fob runs the unlock for BOTH doors at once (??) and popping both doors open every time won't work too well.

Question: Is there a unit that has buttons for each door separately AND the proximity sensor for the dash mounted start button?

Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  2. chaddilac

chaddilac

You can run the unlock to one door and the lock to the other door... it's just pulsing a negative ground, if you use a relay it could work. You're better off to have a system that has a constant trigger, meaning you hold the button and it gives a trigger as long as you hold the button.

What you need is a system that has multiple additional remote functions.

Here's the switch you need...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  3. Lowrders

Lowrders
    from DUBUQUE IA

I've wired up door poppers using just a regular old Keyless entry system, use LOCK for drivers door, UNlock for passenger.. Ever thought of that? Or does the kit only come with unlock button. The prox sensor should have more or less an output for something when you get close enough to it. If That were my setup, i'd have the prox sensor "unlock" an external button that you hide in a wheelwell or something, and ditch the fobs all together. (If that makes any sense)
    I've never messed with the aftermarket Prox sensors, but I was pretty damn interested for my own car. $$ got in the way once again. Good luck. Let us know what you figure out.

4. Lowrders

Lowrders
    from DUBUQUE IA

Damn you Chaddilac, beating me to it while I type! HAHAHa

5. chaddilac

chaddilac

hahahaha...

I was about to reply again and say to use the keyless entry to unlock the doors and run a button somewhere handy.

I've got a couple waterproof buttons in the classifieds. It's not hard wiring them up, it's pretty easy!

6. 34 Hound

34 Hound

Actually hiding a button under the fender (or wherever) sounds like a great idea... no need to push a keychain fob button at all.

Better yet.... how about rigging a touch sensor to the rear view mirror? When the prox sensor detects you close enough - touch the mirror to open the door.

Thanks for the idea for using 'lock' for the pass side. Good one.

7. I have talked to the fella at Hotronics in CA a wile back regarding his door kit. He was very helpful. Might give him a call FWIW.

8. Just do the driver door and reach across for the other door. That's how the real custom guys used to do it.

9. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

If you want really trick you could put a magnetic switch somewhere in the roof. Wear a ring or something with a magnet and casually brush your hand in the right spot. Plus it's not as easy as a button.

10. chaddilac

chaddilac

Until you rub the paint off in that area! :eek: :D

11. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I had a custom mini truck back in the day. Hid a button inside the gas filler door. The remotes were a pita back then. But, I'm guessing technology and reliability has prolly caught up since then.

12. chaddilac

chaddilac

Nah.. they are still made in china! :D

13. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

It's called patina. How else do you age the fade on your rat rod whip yo?:p

14. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Just make sure you run a manual cable to someplace hidden in case you lose power.

15. 34 Hound

34 Hound

Just got off the phone with Ididit. Their Touch and go system seems to do both doors (4 channels/buttons) and the button-start dash button thing.

Now I need to figger out a soft-touch switch to pop the door when I touch the mirror.

16. Harell Los Angeles

Harell Los Angeles

17. 34 Hound

34 Hound

Thanks. That's another great idea. I'd put 3 switches in easy reach on the driver's side. Driver door, pass door and trunk.