Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 51 chevy :)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RICKY~RICARDO, Jan 23, 2012.

1. radconjon

radconjon

Looking good! Thanks for all of the pics. It helps to see where some of the little trim pieces go. When I got my '51 all the trim was off. Do you have a pic of what holds the chrome bezel on the clock housing? Thanks in Advance
    Jon

2. 1950heavymetal

1950heavymetal

Just found this build, looking good man! Subscribed. Question for you though, how much room do you have between the steering and the headers? Looks like the LS takes up a good portion of the engine bay. Have you had any other fitment issues installing the LS? Also, I have similar holes in the floor of my 50 fleetline and I am wondering how you leveled the car before you welding in the new pieces? I can see in some of the pics that you used floor jacks underneath the front of the car, did you use them in back as well? Thanks!

3. Well gee.. once again I'm late to the party! I love your build and it's going to be interesting to follow along. GM sure got things right with the '49-'52 models!

I have a question: I noticed the replacement door sills/rockers look pretty straight from the supplier (although in this first pic they seem to have a slight bend - camera angle?) - were the originals not curved a wee bit? How do your doors fit the contour? I ask because a buddy ran into issues with his Merc build...

Nice car, nice build, great thread!
    Dave

4. RICKY~RICARDO

RICKY~RICARDO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milwaukee

Thanks for checking it out.
    OK first things first i used 4 jacks and leveled the car i left the doors on when i did this also i braced the body when i did the left rocker.

The LS is easy to install just like a small block 350 the biggest thing will be finding headers that fit great. Rite now i am using headers from 98-02 Camaro they are hooker headers they fit good but need some persuasion with a hammer. I think i may have an issue with the rack and steering connection with these headers "very tight may switch later in the build "

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  5. RICKY~RICARDO

RICKY~RICARDO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milwaukee

Thanks Jon.
    The clock has 2 or 3 prongs on it you push the clock into the housing if you look at the housing you will notice a small hole near the bottom that is for a Allen head set screw that locks the clock in place.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  6. RICKY~RICARDO

RICKY~RICARDO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milwaukee

Thanks for checking out my build.
    The doors fit nicely the rockers are a good fit i don't know who makes them they were included with a parts car i had bought.

7. BadLuck

BadLuck

Lookin' good buddy, keep at it!

8. TMunster

TMunster
    from Las Vegas

Great progress, looking good!

9. RICKY~RICARDO

RICKY~RICARDO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milwaukee

Thanks guy's

10. radconjon

radconjon

Awesome!! Thank you so much! I am using an aftermarket clock so I will have to do it different but now I know that I am not missing anything. Did not realize that the clock had the prongs on it. I attached a pic of mine mocked up. Wish I had the original in working condition. I really admire all of the work you are doing and wish I had the skills to do all the body work.

Attached Files:

11. RICKY~RICARDO

RICKY~RICARDO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milwaukee

Thanks and your welcome, i wish i had skills to do body work i want this car to come out nice so i am going to pay someone to do the bodywork and paint hahaha.

12. 1950heavymetal

1950heavymetal

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it! Looking forward to watching your build!

13. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

Ricky welcome to the 1951 Chevy 2 Dr Ht club. Looks like you are doing a great job on your car. Good luck on the build.:D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  14. RICKY~RICARDO

RICKY~RICARDO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milwaukee

Your welcome!

Thanks That is a sweet 51 yours?

15. 1950heavymetal

1950heavymetal

Total NEWBIE question: what year, make and model side trim is on this car? This car is amazing and motivating! I'm not trying to hyjack your thread Ricky, just curious!

16. 4rod

4rod

That's how it gets done, one piece at a time...doing a great job, keep it up

17. RICKY~RICARDO

RICKY~RICARDO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milwaukee

Finally getting ready to assemble the rear suspension UPS drop't off my order from speedway i ordered the TCI rear suspension kit!
    so now i get to play in the garage again :)

18. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

coming along nicely. good progress..

19. RICKY~RICARDO

RICKY~RICARDO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milwaukee

Finally more progress:)
    I have finished with the front end and finally finished the rear install :)
    I used total cost involved ordered from speedway the kit ran me 540 and only 8 bucks shipping that is a deal i could not pass up .
    i did not tack or weld the perches i want to wait till the frame is back under the car, that way i can make sure the wheels are centered.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. RICKY~RICARDO

RICKY~RICARDO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milwaukee

Pinion angle was neg -3 at the trans and positive 3 degrees at the rear i hope that's correct.

21. HUSSEY

HUSSEY

Sounds right, making them equal and opposite will allow them to cancel one another out. Your progress is looking good, that LS motor looks bad.

22. RICKY~RICARDO

RICKY~RICARDO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milwaukee

Hey thanks man,i will be happy once i can join the frame and body together. this will free up a lot of space in the garage!

23. chaddilac

chaddilac

Really nice work!!

It's funny how those frame don't have any kind of X member in them!

24. RICKY~RICARDO

RICKY~RICARDO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milwaukee

I am going to ad the rear shock cross member hopefully that will also help stiffen things up a bit.

25. chaddilac

chaddilac

Cool! I'm running a two link so I'm going to make a solid cross member with some supports to help make it stronger. I suppose that's why they had all those body mounts?!?

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

26. BadLuck

BadLuck

roger that..did the same on mine :)

27. sololobo

sololobo

Ricky Ricky, your plans so fine, thats about how I would do mine!! Sorry for the poetic burst, glad you dig stock trim, it has a new meaning to me as I see all these sculpted flat sided blobs coming from the makers these days. Good luck with this cool rig bro. ~sololobo~

28. RICKY~RICARDO

RICKY~RICARDO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milwaukee

Hahaha thanks sololobo

29. Ricky,
    Love these cars (49-54) and love the direction your heading. I've had most every body style made in 51 except the Bel Air. Keep up the good work and I'll check in every now and then!
    Tom

30. RICKY~RICARDO

RICKY~RICARDO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milwaukee

Thanks tom :)