Register now to get rid of these ads!

Before and After – The Sad Story of the Packard Plant

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by T-Head, Dec 5, 2012.

1. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We have put together a post on The Old Motor using photos above from the Detroit Free Press showing the past and the sad state of
    affairs at the Packard Plant today. The situation that whole complex is in, remains very serious and it now appears that the great
    majority of it may end up being razed. Take the time to stop by and see many more photos of the plant at its prosperous times and
    today, close to death after being taken off of life support.

You can also see the many incredible photos and a video that we have linked on the Detroit Free Press website that YOU NEED TO SEE.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  2. janbuick

janbuick

I hate it when I see a great building going down
    It's sad to see

3. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Yup, thats real sad.
    And thats the better side of Detroit!

4. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Everyone needs to follow the links from The Old Motor to The Detroit Free press and see the rest of the INCREDIBLE photos and coverage there.

5. Garage Dog

Garage Dog
    from Doghouse

Wow, Thanks for posting that, the photos and the video are something everyone on the HAMB needs to see.

6. lawman

lawman

So sad !!!! A lot of history gone.

7. As goes Detroit.... I've always loved Packards. Nothing more classy in my opinion that a an early 40's 160.

[​IMG]

8. The only thing constant is change!!!

Sux huh?

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

Working on a '37 Packard in the shop, nicely built car. I need a starter button for one to put in my Roadster. Bob

10. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

A drive around Detroit's older areas certainly makes you sad for what could of been, if not left unchecked.

11. NickJT

NickJT
    from S.E. PA

It is sad and another example of the decay of Detroit, especially for such a proud name as Packard. The zombie apocalypse seems to have hit there.

Locally, I'm reminded of the Packard Motor Car Building on Broad Street in downtown Philadelphia, which at least was saved and renovated with some sensitivity to the original architecture. Every time I see it I'm reminded of the heyday of the glorious Packard motor cars. I'll just paste this comment in here about it that is on the developer's website, although I still wish they were selling classic Packards there:

The Packard Motor Car Building dates back to 1910, when Packard Motors commissioned acclaimed Detroit architect Alfred Kahn to design a showroom and assembly plant in Philadelphia. This grand limestone and terracotta trimmed building with hand-carved cornices and oversized windows, was unlike anything the city had seen before.
    Today, the Packard Building is even more impressive with its newly designed, 2-story lobby, an inviting social center and new designer kitchens with stainless steel appliances, granite countertops and ceramic tile floors. You can try but you’re not going to find another Philadelphia apartment building that comes anywhere close to the distinctive luxury features this beautiful landmark residence offers.

12. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

13. NickJT

NickJT
    from S.E. PA

sure enough, T:

Here's my screen print from Google maps, looking south on Broad St. toward City Hall in the background with Willilam Penn standing on top; the cool building next to the Packard building is Roman Catholic High School:

[​IMG]

I like this one with the old Packard sales ad overlayed on the front of the building since the rentals now cost more per month than a new Packard back in the day:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While surfing the 'net about this I got a hightened appreciation for Packard's role in supporting the war effort. They had a very significant role in powering aircraft and PT boats.

14. dustdevil

dustdevil
    from illinois

I got to take a tour of the plant last year with Kevin Carter. He has been going there for a long time now and knew where to take us and see some cool stuff. Its sad for sure what condition it is in now!! We walked it for about 2 hours or so. Went to different levels and most of the building. There were a few others like us meandering around checking it out. I would definetely NOT go in there without someone who knew what they were getting into. I am just glad I had the opportunity to check it out before its all gone..Sad to see...

15. borntoolate

borntoolate

Here's the Nashville dealership.

Attached Files:

16. stingbean

stingbean

If I remember correctly, the "Nashville Retrospect" newspaper had a pretty good piece about the old Packard Dealership awhile back...I'll see if I can find it. That whole block was demolished earlier this year to make way for a new hotel.

17. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

I saw the plant a number of times when I lived in Detroit and was working at WDRQ-FM (1972-1973).

It was a classy, magnificent, and, majestic group of buildings...just like the cars Packard produced.

Jonnie www.legends.thewwbc.net

18. metal man

metal man

19. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Hey Nick.....Thanks for posting that, what a beautiful building!!

Anybody else have any neat Packard history to add to this thread and keep it going??

[​IMG]

I should have added it earlier.....You can see many pages of original factory photos as you can see here of early Packard cars.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  20. NickJT

NickJT
    from S.E. PA

Packard afficianados would probably know about this library of Packard information but it was new to me: http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/article/

What a coincidence that you mentioned that, Nick! I was also just finding info along those lines. There are some good tidbits in here: http://www.outlawpulling.com/PDF/Packard Marine Engine.pdf