Register now to get rid of these ads!

Radiator over flow tank, what is everyone using?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 47.Poncho, Dec 3, 2012.

1. 47.Poncho

47.Poncho

Over the summer, on hott days, the 400 sbc would get pretty hott(Around 200, usually 180 on a cooler day). I found after a couple days of the hot weather, I would be down on coolent due to it pushing out the over flow tube but not returning due to no over flow tank.

What kind of tank are you guys using? Thinking some old to keep with the times. Something glass would be cool if I can keep it from breaking. Let me know what you came up with.

2. Old Ford Coupe

Old Ford Coupe

I use the Moon Tank on the front of my `32 five-window.

Attached Files:

3. 416Ford

416Ford

What is Hott there? 85*
    200 does not seem that hot even for Michigan. Hot but not boiling over hot.

4. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

5. Canuck

Canuck

Make sure the tank is not too small.

Ran a small one, about 16 oz. out of a import and it would fill up and overflow. Replaced with one about double that size and end of problem. Easily runs at 210-220 on a hot day still, don't worry untill it starts going over that.

Running a 406 SBC with 700r4 behind a Hi-efficiency 4 core custom rad, following parts new heads, waterpump and rad and 7 blade fan and had the same problem.

6. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

[​IMG]

I have used a section of a Corvette driveshaft or half-shaft for an overflow tank.

7. Malarky

Malarky

I used a small metal paint thinner can with a peel off label. Drilled a hole in the cap and used a rubber grommet. The can was a little weathered, blends in nicely. You can treat the inside of it to be sure it doesn't leak.

8. chaddilac

chaddilac

One of these...

[​IMG]

9. I use an old spray gun, took the gun off, added a fitting . In my case I left the paint on it ,but it is all alum. so you could polish it.

10. JEM

JEM

A piece of 3.5in OD x .060 wall aluminum tube (Ford Explorer or Crown Vic cop-car driveshafts are 3.66in AL and a bit thicker if you've got access to one to cut up...) closed off top and bottom with a piece of 3/8-ish AL tube welded in and extending to the bottom of the tank (necessary for the coolant to be sucked back in to the radiator as it cools.) Notch the top of the big tube, bend the 3/8in tube about 100 degrees, weld it into the notch at the top and weld the edge of the small tube to the wall of the big tube about 1/2in up from the bottom, then weld on the top and bottom caps. Add tabs and brackets to bolt it wherever you want. You'll need a little vent tube at the top too just in case.

You can make it as tall as you need/have room for.

Use what you want for a cap at the top end, it ain't period but '90s Chevy Luminas have a one-piece little plastic assembly that'll snap right into a (2.75in?) hole in the top plate, with a cap attached by a lanyard that pops in and out of the piece snapped into the AL, costs basically nothing, requires no fabrication, works fine...

If you're looking for vintage...well, I've seen everything from milk bottles to those squarish Italian olive-oil cans, make sure to check your quart-size rummage-sale whatzit for leaks and 212degF+ temperature resistance before spending a lot of time plumbing it.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  11. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

12. Here's mine. It's made from a fuel pressure reservoir off a Huey and mounts on the spring hanger for the front suicide axle on my Modified using airframe clevis joints from a DC3

[​IMG]

13. 6-bangertim

6-bangertim
    from California

How can ya beat the price of a 24-oz. PBR can??? Drink the beer as you fab a holder for it!:D - Tim

14. I use a Harley Davidson beer can, circa 1986.

15. robber

robber

H2O bottle:D ...robber

Attached Files:

16. HotRod55

HotRod55
    from Omaha,NE

Using one of these. Filled with antifreeze it gives it an eerie green glow.

Attached Files:

17. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

:eek:

Attached Files:

18. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Dang it! Now there's Dr. Pepper all over my screen.

19. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Plus, the Vodka that comes in it makes a tasty beverage! :D

I wasn't so clever, I used an old brass fire extinguisher on the '36. Which I can't find a picture of...:rolleyes:

20. n847

n847

Well Ive used a boy scout canteen but now I use a non traditional Jazz over flow bottle...

My question is...what is hot? Everyone seems to have a different opinion. I was brought up with my dad telling me a SBC should never run over 180. He proved it to me many times over even with some pretty ballsy street/strip motors. I was coming to grips with the fact that mine wanted to run at 200 till i replaced the over flow can with one that would recirculate and it hasn't broken 180 since then. So i dont see how people can be ok with cars runnin 210-220.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

21. HotRod55

HotRod55
    from Omaha,NE

Who has a rat rod? Not I. I have a 60's style drag car tribute, traditional style that happens to have a skull catch can. I wanted to be different than every guy with a PBR can.

22. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

200 isn't hot................what pound radiator cap are you using?

23. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

What he said.

24. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

RAT ROD??? pashawwwww.
    I have a skull, but I'm still usin it.
    I have a PBR can with the ends cut off and slid over my coil.
    Thats cuttin edge right there.

25. DaddyO's..Deuce

DaddyO's..Deuce
    from Missery

Why not use one of these from Speedway? Been using one for years, only problem is the rubber o-ring is starting to deteriorate.

Attached Files:

26. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

This was made for those hot Canadian summers.

[​IMG]

27. I'm using just a simple aluminum tank from speedway mounted standing up next to the rad. And 200 ready isn't that hot.it's pretty warm but not hot.mines gotten to 220 in traffic before I made a shroud

28. Death Proof

Death Proof
    from Miami, FL
    1. Florida HAMBER'S

I've been holding on to one of those to use on my truck too!!

29. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

if you want to make an overflow, a good start is a round dryer from an AC system, they aren't any good anyway once they are exposed to air, cut off the top, machine a new top and tig it on. the entire bottom part of the tank is already made by doing this

30. NEWFISHER

NEWFISHER
    from Oregon

Not my pic's, but here is what I used. Found at the local antique stores, some come with the original brackets too and in different sizes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]