Register now to get rid of these ads!

baggin a 56 buick special

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by joecactus, Dec 3, 2012.

1. joecactus

joecactus
    from calgary

i just picked up a 56 buick special any tips on baggin this thing? everything stock just replace coils with bags? fatman frame stub? 4 link in the rear? any info would be great
    thanks

2. FatDaddy53

FatDaddy53

swap the stuff out... 4 wheel coils

3. joecactus

joecactus
    from calgary

if i just swap out the coils do i need to notch the frame in the rear or cut into the trunk? wanna leave her as stock lookinn as i can

4. Window Licker

Window Licker

a buddy of mine just did truck arm rear suspension with the stock track bar and mid 80's g body rear end and a 700r4 behind the nailhead. it has turned out fantastic. with a 4 inch frame notch it lays on the ground in the rear, im not positive what hes going to do for the front, but i believe he is using stock suspension with bags and a drop spindle.

5. joecactus

joecactus
    from calgary

is your buddy on here? he have any pics? what did he use for the tranny adapter?

6. Window Licker

Window Licker

7. Century

Century

You can replace all springs with bags. I would use Slam Specialties - I'm running 6" all around, not sure if you'll be able to fit 7" in the front. I had Air Lift Dominators in mine, but they bellowed and rubbed. In the front, use a plate on the a-arm for the lower bag mount. You will need to relocate the shocks in the front as well.

I took the bump stops out at all four corners. It sits nice and even when aired out. If you were to installed fatman lowered uprights in the front, you'd need to do some work in the rear to get it lower. But as it sits, I have no issues with the torque tube or driveline.

[​IMG]

8. joecactus

joecactus
    from calgary

hey century, from toronto my home sweet home. i only ever use slam bags i have never had a problem with them and have been using them for years. how close is yours from laying frame? and if i were to use the lower uprights what kinda work are we talkin for the rear? frame notch is no biggie i just dont wanna cut into the trunk if i dont have to but i wanna get her as low as i can

9. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

i can help you with all your air ride needs call us i can put something to gethere
    408 561 5744
    we deal in slam bags , contec , and accuair ..
    we make the bag blates and brackets
    thanxs
    alerx

10. Century

Century

Well, in my picture, the frame is resting on the rear axle, so you'd definitely need a notch. You'd probably need to raise the tunnel as well. I'm not sure if the torque tube can handle such steep angles, but perhaps.

11. joecactus

joecactus
    from calgary

i guess i will have a better look at it when i start pullin it apart, thanks guys keep ya posted

12. CenturyScott

CenturyScott

I have a 56 2 door that I'm going to bag out. Do you have a picture of the front end and how it looks with bag plates installed? Your ride is sweet, I just love it! Does that one have the Fatman uprights?

13. Century

Century

I don't have any pics yet, but all I did was drill out the two inner rivets, cut a 1/4" plate to fit on top of the lower a-arm, and bolted it in using bolts where the inner rivets were. I left the outer rivets untouched.

I'm running the stock spindles. There are two bump stops in the rear - one tall and one short. I took the tall one out. The short one is about 1/2-3/4" thick, so left it in. The axle rests on the short one when aired out. As you can see, it's level, so I didn't bother with Fatman spindles.