Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Nasty motor swap into a 50 plymouth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lono, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Lono

Lono

So I've picked up a quiet little Plymouth. She lacks drivetrain and just by chance I have a rebuilt 429 (one thousand over) hiding in storage.

[​IMG]

I am thinking of putting it into this sleeper. I'd like to hear from anyone who has done this in the past. Anyone done it and enjoying the fruits of your labour?

2. 1.000 as in one thousand thousandths over or .001 over as in one thousandth over? or .010 over like in ten shousandths over or ??? 1,000 over is a little confusing.

You're talking Ford 429 in a '50 stude? I don't know that it is a real popular swap but I am sure that it would be a neat swap done correctly (as in clean swap not just cobbed together).

3. Bounder

Bounder

Hey Beaner I'm betting he means .010 over. Was a machinist for 40 years and I still get confused with numbers. Me and Jethero have trouble cifferin.

4. tedster

tedster

How did you come up with 50 Stude?

5. Lono

Lono

Yes, I'm thinking big nasty Ford.
    The motor was my nephews, it came out of a Tbird. he had it rebuilt prior to putting it in his truck. He had new pistons forged for it and admitted to spending way too much rebuilding it. He drove the truck for maybe 4 years putting on about 10K.

Now I need to find an auto for it.

6. Drugs????

7. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

My friends have one of those little '50's, grandson has it now, gram & gramps bought it new, all still stock. Haven't looked at it in a while, but seems like it was pretty roomy under the hood, and with the length of the original six, length of the V8 would hopefully not be a problem. Might take a little engineering on the exhaust? Considering the Lima came in a lot of different vehicles, there should be a few different manifolds to try. Best friend now is your tape measure, and a C6 for a 351M-400-429-460 bolts up

Studemouth? Plymabaker? Disco Bisquits??? :eek:

8. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

The only issue on those chassis Mopars is the location of the stock steering box.

I put a slant six into one by offsetting the engine to the passenger side.

I have heard the smallblock mopar is damn near a bolt in when using the early A-body driver's side exhaust manifold as it curls perfectly around the steering box/column.

I put a 383 big block Mopar into a 1952 Plymouth Business by chopping off the front half of the frame, using a solid axle and a truck steering box. It also required chopping up the firewall something serious to keep the fan/radiator relationship happy.

9. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Extras??

10. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

11. Never had extras but there has always been enough to go around. :)

12. Lono

Lono

Thanks folks. Sadly they're both out of my reach right now and I wont have them in the shop till early in the year so I cant start measuring. It's a killer motor to trnsplant, I just hope I can screw it into there. It's a case of use what ya got.

13. sunbeam

sunbeam

I'm thinking you will have to move alot of stuff to make the ford fit.

14. 73RR

73RR

While the 429 might be a 'nasty' piece to have, I do believe that it will be a major job. It is not a small engine. And from some of the threads here on this forum even the Ford guys have issues swapping them into other Ford cars with larger engine bays.
    You can get around the steering box issue with a rack&pinion but it will still be a very tight fit if it is even doable.
    Trade it for a 360; it will save alot of trouble.

15. brewster55

brewster55

how big is a 429 when its "one thousand over"?

16. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Be a great combination as long as you don't drive it. For sitting at car shows waiting for oos and ahhs it should be great. For driving on the road, not so much.

I'm not even going to get into the question of whether the motor will fit or not. I've been shot down too many times for that. So I will assume you have a fully equipped shop, plenty of training and experience, and lots of money, and that changing out the engine, trans, driveshaft, rear axle, front suspension, steering, radiator etc will not be a problem for you.

17. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 429/460 is a very large engine. And the front sump doesn't help. I have a rebuilt 460 that I considered swapping into my '47 Hudson. But it didn't take long to see that it's just too big to install without major mods. And I think I have a larger engine bay than you do. Seriously consider selling the 429 and installing a smallblock engine. In the long run, you'd probably save time, effort and $.

18. GTSDave

GTSDave

A "B" series BB Mopar fits with the stock steering but it is a lot of work and not for the faint of heart. LOTS of mods needed to make it all work out.

I drive mine all the time but want a power rack because of the heavy feel of the manual box with all that weight up front. Especially when I am trying to keep it between the ditches with the power on.....

I am going with the rack conversion similar to the one fatmanfab sells http://fatmanfab.com/ifstrick.php

Keep a Mopar in your Mopar if you can. I love mine.....

-Dave

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. George

George

You'll need to make it rear sump if it isn't already, but I'm thinking the truck ones are any way. You'll have to do some inner fender trimming for sure, even a 318 will take a little on the pass. side.

20. Edsel58a

Edsel58a

Pull off the hood and lower the 429 into the engine bay. Look at what may need to be done, then make a decision.

21. Lono

Lono

No, I'm not into sitting around at car shows. I may look around at them but I dont sit at my car like a turd on log. You can assume I can build cars yes and that no, I dont have a machine shop. I was trained at the school of hard knocks and if you're uncertain ask. I have experience in a lot but haven't done this or I would have never asked and I'm not afraid to learn. I dont know it all and dont try to come off like I do.

Thank you to everyone giving some great answers and direction, thats what the HAMB is all about.

22. Lono

Lono

Dave, did you do the exhaust that way for clearance or to look bad ass, like it does? Pretty wild looking for sure.

23. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

GTSDAVE, Real kool ride. Got to keep all Mopar for sure. I believe LONO is talking about the fender well exit headers. Lono, got to keep those pipes all the same length

24. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

Gonna be cool. Just get it in there

25. Go for it,and take pictures. Yes it's unusual, but if thats what you have, then make
    it work. Not every car needs a small block Chevy.

26. It was a real squeeze putthig a sbf in my 49. and that was with some major modifications to the frame and steering.

27. charlieb66

charlieb66

I have a 351 CJ Cleavland/ C6 in my DeSoto. No problem with front sump or fit in the engine bay. I clipped the original frame at the firewall, built a new frame with Chrysler Cordoba long torsion bar suspension and brakes. I think maintaining the original front suspension is going to give you fitments problems.

28. n847

n847

That will be a job and a half but guys fit Hemi's in there!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

29. marcello7x

marcello7x
    from Boston

Awesome. I can't wait to see how you make it fit. Once im done chopping my 50 i'll be working on a motor swap.

30. Lono

Lono

I'm subscribed. I have a few plans for mine too and metal work is on the list.;)