Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Just Another 55 Gasser Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dblgun, Aug 13, 2012.

1. jophus

jophus

Looking good. Can't wait to see more pics!

2. dblgun

dblgun

I have gotten a bit of time the last couple of weekends to work on the 55. I did get the gears in the Dana setup and will be getting it bolted into the car soon. I had to replace to fuel tank and while doing so I added a 1/2" pickup to go along with the fuel lines for the car. I also got the battery tray and hold down made and mounted as well as the back of the car wired and plumbed.
    [​IMG]

3. dblgun

dblgun

4. dblgun

dblgun

5. dblgun

dblgun

6. dblgun

dblgun

7. cakes

cakes

If the rear tires fit without the wheel wells radiused why even do it? I thin it looks bad ass as is

8. dblgun

dblgun

The tires I am going to run will not fit in the stock well. I decided against moving the springs inboard and depending the wheel offset it will create problems for me. Most of the vintage wheels have a majority of offset to the outside so in this case helps with clearance issues inside but require radiusing the outside. My goal is to have the tire end just under the radius lip.

9. jratz1966

jratz1966

this thing is going to bad ass when done keep up good work.

Jratz

10. ...this is the kind of build thread I really enjoy. Nice work, and I vote for radiused rear wheel openings!

11. You go dblgun! What kind of fuel pump is that, and is it gonna make enough psi?

12. dblgun

dblgun

Ric, It's one of Carters competition series and deadheads at about 8 psi. I've had good luck with them and they're much more quiet than a lot of pumps I have had. The down side is that they are not servicable so no rebuilding them.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  13. VintageVoltage

VintageVoltage

This car is looking great!

14. boogeracng

boogeracng
    from Eureka,MO

I see you are using "sliders" and you mentioned running Cal-Tracs. I was told by Calvert when I built my Willys "sliders" weren't needed and in fact advised to NOT use "sliders." Have you conferred with them?

15. dblgun

dblgun

I used Cal-Tracs with the 8 3/4 on my previous car, a 55 210 sedan. The housing sliders that I made are being used with the Dana 60 in my current 150 project. Sorry for the confusion and you are absolutely right, you would not want to run floaters with Cal-Trac bars.

16. That sounds good, the last time I used a Carter like that 5.5 psi was all they had('83), and my mid 13 second Olds would run out of fuel in 2nd gear. If you need more pump later, the Mallory 140 is very quite, and you can buy rebuilt ones (which are actually better because they are fixed) from the trailer at Pomona drags for $100 cash. I usually keep one around just in case. Also if you need, I have several 6 vain mechanical pumps. I know you said probably not, but if you can, try to sneak out to Irwindale for Moon Eyes :)

17. PS. I have a half dozen used Holley blues and regulators laying around too, so if you end up needing one of those later on, your welcome to them. Say, what rear gear did you end up going with in the Dana?

18. dblgun

dblgun

Thanks Ric, I too have a "box o pumps by Holley" and keep a couple i've gone through for spares in a pinch but damn they're LOUD! I have a Mallory 140 on my Chevelle wagon and it has given me good service also. The Dana has 4.11's in it which I am hoping will work out well with the 2.87 first gear in the trans. With a 29-30" tire it's not really enough gear for a 288-310 motor but might be ok with the 377. Camshaft selection will be important and the rollers I have now are probably too small and too big. What are your thoughts on gearing?

I would really like to make the Mooneys show but will have to see if I can sneak away

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  19. dblgun

dblgun

Fuel pump, tank and lines in and working as well as the Dana 60 bolted in to the car. I am going to have a few days off here around Christmas so should be ablr to make a little more progress and start to get the 1/4's radiused.[​IMG]

20. dblgun

dblgun

21. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

Great thread! Nice work!

22. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Car looks great, I like the radiused arches

23. biscaynes

biscaynes

sweet! another great '55 build! :cool:

24. good tip here on the pump location Dblgun, I'm ashaimed I didn't pick up on that. If you leave it high like that, it'll have problems priming, and the pump will overheat easly and fail. My car has a 3.27 first gear and 4.30's. It turns 2900 rpm @65mph with 29" tall tire, good all around set up for my 410 (4.165 x 3.750 )small block. Drag race only on mine would be 488-5.38 depending on how stout the engine was.The 377 would ultimately want 4.88-5.38's for race only and the 310 would be 5.38-5.86 for race only. A compromise on the 377 might be a 4.30-4.56 and for the 310 4.56-5.13. If you want to keep the 4.11's for more streetability, use a 3.750-3.875 crank and build a 406-420 incher. New cast steel cranks are $400ish and a Scat/Eagle forging can be bought for $650ish and you could sell the 3.48 crank for $250.00 or so anyway

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  25. dblgun

dblgun

Hey thanks for the heads up on the pump location, I always keep a spare with me. We rountinely use this pump series in motor mounted lift pump applications on trucks some reaching half a million miles now. It is used in conjunction with a mechanical pump so we'll see how it goes. As for the hose, I have'nt had any issues with a couple of feet of pushlock in any of my cars so far. It looks a ton better than braided and holds up to todays fuels better in my experience.

Ric, it's taken me a little longer to get the rear end in the car because I went ahead a pulled it apart and put in 4.56's. I am also running 29" tires although a little narrower than your car. I ran the 310 in my Chevelle wagon with a top loader and 5.13's but it keeps you very busy! This should be a good compromise and I should be able to make it work with the 288,310 or the 377. The parts for the 377 are not cutting edge, the crank is a LA Billet 3.50 stroke with 2.650 mains, the rods are a set of 5.7 Olivers and the pistons are Manley's. I may need some suggestions on cam shaft selection. Hey, by the way when are you going to pick up that torqueflite?

26. When would be a good time for you, I'll have some time off between Christmas and New Years. If I had a LA Enterprised billet crank, I would use it too :). I'm proud of you for going with the 4.56's. Your new Avatar look like maybe a Modified car @ OCIR, is that where some of your 288-310 parts came from?

27. warrick

warrick

That is a great build you have there like it that you thaught it out to set up big or small block.

28. dblgun

dblgun

Yeah Ric, Good eye that most certainly is Orange county. The car belonged to a friend who recently passed away and it ran a tunnel rammed 310 and a toploader. Much of what I have learned and in particular my love of small motors came from him.

I'll be around the weekend between Christmas and New Years so let me know what sounds good.

29. Risky

Risky

Good lookin car. Really like what your doing so far. Looking foward to more progress. Can't get enough 55 gassers.

30. help-me-honda

help-me-honda

Hi Brendt, Thanks for all of your helpfull information. I did find them in the speedway catalog. I agree with you on the noise issues in the car, I greatly appreciate your advice, Tim