Register now to get rid of these ads!

Plastic Lense Restoration

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The37Kid, Dec 2, 2012.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

What is out there in the way of products or tips for the restoration of PLASTIC tail light lenses? I've got two '53 Buick lenses with faint scratches that I'd rather not see. Bob

2. Dan in Canada

Dan in Canada

Meguire's sells a headlight restoration kit that is basically plastic polish. You buff the scratches out.

I've never used it, so I can't comment any further. I'm sure that someone else on here will know more.

If the scratches are actually internal age cracks, that won't be repairable.

3. WillyKJr

WillyKJr
    from Blackstone

If it's just scratches on the surface a compound for plastics to remove the scratches followed by a compound for color and shine on plastics (typically a white rouge) will do ya'. If you want to do it on the cheap I believe Eastwood has the supplies for a drill or some other one-time application that will provide good results without having invest in a buffing operation.

4. Pics?
    I have used a 2 part plastic polish buffing system with limited results depending on how deep the scratches are in the plastic. I used to use "carbon tet" but for obvious reasons I cannot use it now. 2000 grit wet sandpaper can also be used in the crevices. If it has the age checking ^ there is a stained glass coating that can be used to reduce some of the visible ones. (applied on the inside and outside)

5. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

I've used the plastic polishing kits from several manufacturers on lights and its worked fairly well. Age cracks will still show, but you would be surprised how much better even a decent shape light looks after doing it.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

6. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Metal polish like Flitz or Simichrome does a pretty good job on plastic lenses. If they have deep scratches sand them first with fine wet and dry sandpaper.

7. Sand with 600 wet, in and outside.
    Spray 2-3 coast of urethane clear.
    Look new and will last 4ever.

8. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Its just like dealing w scratch’s in paint …. Only be more careful of melting / makin heat.

9. DJCruiser

DJCruiser
    from CT

2000 grit wet sandpaper using ammonia, not water.

10. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Novus makes a two step plastic polish that is widely used in the plastic industry.

11. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Ive used a buffing wheel with rouge. Its worked well on some things and has utterly destroyed other things when they hit the ground. Ive also heard of atf but havent tried it. I use clear enamel paint on peoples fogged up headlights, works ok, lasts a year.

12. Bob,

If the scratches are deep, look into the micro grit sanding sticks that scale modellers use. You can wet sand with them to remove the scratch, then use the Meguiars for final polishing.

Bill

13. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

wetsand with 2000 grit paper,,,polish out with a good quality plastic polish,,meguiars makes a good one.....take your time, be patient, and they will turn out stunning

14. Moonequipt13

Moonequipt13

Start with 600 grit paper and sand out all imperfections, the lens should be evenly dull. Step up to 1000 grit, make sure to remove all 600 grit scratches, then 3000 grit (3m trizact). At this point the plastic will be dull, and ready for heavy cut compound, followed by a polishing compound and a good buff with a towel. Put a coat of wax on and you're good to go.

15. Go to 3Mcollision.com to see the kit and how to videos. It's real simple start out with coarse abrasives work you way up to 2000 wet or dry or 3000 trizat. Use a wool pad, some compund, than follow up with a polish and a foam pad. If ya got 3 inch tools even better

16. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

hahah,,,couldn't resist..

17. richardlw

richardlw

I wouldn't start with 600 unless there are deep scratches, since you will have to take those out with the finer grits.

This was with 1000 grit, followed by 1500 (wish i had had 2000) then Meguiar's PlastX.

Extremely cheap.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Moonequipt13

Moonequipt13

If you had started with 600 your odometer wouldn't have those pits left in it:D Sanding out 600 scratches with 1000 is waaaay easier than sanding out pits with 1000

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks for all the trips, I'll buy some sandpaper and get busy. This is my first step in getting the wiring done for the Roadster, rebuild the tail lights and move onto scarier things. Bob

20. slammed

slammed

Allow your paper to soak to soften it up and more pliable to work with.

21. I think I need to kick my own ass for that one HA-HA

22. Squablow

Squablow

I've slimed up old plastic lenses with vaseline and let them sit a week or so before wiping them back off and had good results reducing the appearance of internal crazing with that.

And I typically just buff plastic with the same compound I use on paint, works pretty good.

23. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Meguiars makes a product called PlastX, for removing scratches from headlights, clear plastic, etc. It's a very mild abrasive, and works really well with a little elbow grease. I cleaned up the clear plastic piece that covers all of the gauges on my dashboard. A big bottle is about $10 at the auto stores, or you can get a headlight restoration kit that has a small bottle of PlastX with an attachment for a power drill to buff it out for about $20. Tooth paste also works for removing faint scratches in plastic because it also is a mild abrasive.

24. noboD

noboD

'37, You realise that qualifies as electrical work if it's actually a light lense? I use Dupont number 7 chrome polish for plastic. It's still the best I've found.

25. The37Kid

The37Kid

You noticed that, all these years of bodywork and paint, I'm slowly getting past the fear of death by electrical fire. If all goes well I could have both head lights and tail lights wired and working on my test table by Daytona 500 time. :) Bob

26. noboD

noboD

Can I have the Lyndwood if it doesn't work out?

27. I use 3M polishing products, the same products you use to polish paint. It makes paint shine doesn't it?!?!

When a lens is really bad (faded, scratched, whatever) I'll start with 240 grit on a DA. From there I dry sand by hand with 320 and final dry sand with 600 "wet or dry". I then use 3M Super Duty compound with a wool pad. I finish with a series of 3M Perfect-it products and a foam pad. Finally I use Meguiars paste wax.

If what I am polishing isn't real bad I skip the 240 on a DA.

I've been doing it this way for years on everything from modern headlamps to those thick plastic clock face lenes from the 40's.

28. RussTee

RussTee

Try tooth paste.

29. Bob,

Could use show us a pic of the part?

Thanks, Bill