Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '42' Fleetline stylemaster? aero sedan deluxe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by judder_man, Dec 2, 2012.

1. judder_man

judder_man
    from U.K.

'42' Fleetline stylemaster aero sedan deluxe.
    One shot up Bullet Betty.

Ok, I wasn't going to post any details of my new project that I started this week but I need some spares and will no doubt need some advise along the way so figured it would prob get more attention as a build thread than a wanted add in the classifieds.

At the moment I need an engine and box, a fuel tank, any chrome/ally/stainless trim and body/glass seals you may be squirreling away. Also need a pair of rear fenders, sil/rocker trim, large rear fender gravel guards, one rear banana over rider and a lot more I'll add as i go lol.

Well i must of been mental, drunk or god only knows when i found my 42 on e-bay over the valentine weekend 2012. She had no tyres, was riddled with bullet holes, a load of smashed glass, had no title and was in the middle of no-where-ville Montana. Yes, miles and miles from any sensible port but with some good contacts from some other dealings she was transported 2100 miles across land to New York for shipping. All the signs were there for me to walk away but after some negotiation with the seller he agreed to apply for the title if i fronted the cash which I would loose if no title could be obtained. It was only a couple of hundred dollars or so. I took a gamble got a title. I had the seller put some tyres on the old girl. The seller was one of the good guys although I'm sure he was glad to see the back of me and my spares. I had the seller go through what was needed on the car so i could round up as many spares as possible before the car was shipped. and had them all posted to him. Even squeezed in a couple of none related spares and a couple of accessories, Fulton visor, deco heater etc.

The '42' arrived late August but it took a while for me to pull my finger out and start work on her but as soon as i started I got the bug and have seen the mistress every day this week. I'm doing much better than my last project that is still waiting in the wings.

So far tho' all I have done is pull her apart. I've removed the interior as it was an obvious rodent den with all the interior wadding pulled out and didn't want her going up in smoke while welding after waiting 9 months to get my hands on her. I've started loading the engine bores with diesel to see if she will free up, poked a load of mud from between the rails and body. All dry solid mud that's clearly been there years. Loaded most of the nuts and bolts with plus gas and generally assessed whats needed.

All constructive criticism appreciated. Think I'm doing something wrong along the way or able to point out a better way of doing something feel free to post I may to my own detriment not take the advice but I'd rather hear it before i put my foot in it than a troll like 'I wouldn't have' after.

In the same vain, if you think you have spares that may be useful to me or think i may be interested in please let me know.

So as advertised on e-bay. The e-bay pics of my '42'.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the new arrival

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Broke the hood release bracket doh. One step back.

[​IMG]

And anyone know if my bumper hangers are upside down as my rear bumper was sat way too high not sure if its damage due to been dragged outta somewhere or someone sticking the hangers on wrong. The hangers don't appear to have any fatigue which is why i suspect them been upside down.

[​IMG]

Also, the car has 4 pedals, possibly an engine brake? Any idea's?

Keep me motivated and if you have any spares to offer raise your head. Thanks.

.​

mgtstumpy likes this.
  2. klazurfer

klazurfer

3. henry29

henry29

Nice car!
    Definitely a 42, pretty rare car I've only seen two 42 fleetlines.

4. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Looks pretty solid, I've always liked GM fastbacks of that era.

5. raidmagic

raidmagic

Nope 42, 46 has horizontal blinker lights.

6. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

Hi Judder...nice find! The '42 was the first year for the Fleetline Aerosedan and it has a lot of one year only trim parts. Off hand I would say there aint a lot of them left out there. Yours looks complete, so you're good there. Looks like sheetmetal is fairly clean too if its a Montana car. The fourth pedal on the far right is the starter pedal. Chevy cars had those until 49 when it turned into a push button on the dash I believe. Good luck with your build and thanks for sharing!

7. klazurfer

klazurfer

In 1946, The 1942 Master DeLuxe had become the Stylemaster, while the 1942 Special DeLuxe was renamed the Fleetmaster in 46. 1942 or 1946 .. Waay Cool car Judder :)

8. ems customer service

ems customer service

9. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Definitely a '42. I see you have the optional rear bumper guard that goes between the standard two. It folds back to access the trunk (boot). I have my wife's grandfather's '46 Fleetmaster sedan. They are cool cars and easy to work on. Good luck.

10. judder_man

judder_man
    from U.K.

Yeah they have always stood out to me beautiful lines without the need to chop.

Yeah, i broke that. It was the first thing i did lol but yeah the car is defo a 42. thanks for all the kind words guys. Ive had a good going over the car and it needs 2 tiny pieces of welding 2 plates approx 6"x2" I took a gamble on it and looks like it has paid off Im happy with the car. The engine is seized and the roof has some awkward dents but other than that its pretty straight.

Any idea which the one year only trim is? I've not seen the hood side trim before.

11. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Very cool.

The side hood trim is also on 46 Chevy's.

I have a 46 Chevy custom that I'm working on. I've got a build thread going.

Cant wait to see progress, what are your plans?

12. henry29

henry29

Here's a pic of my old 46 to show the difference in trim.

[​IMG]

13. judder_man

judder_man
    from U.K.

Low, very low but other than that don't want to mess with it too much I think GM did a great job already on this one. I'll have to have a search for your thread be interesting to see others.

Looking good, love the hood ornament. Saw a beautiful red one on ebay but don't think my hood trim takes it.

14. blacky

blacky

Sweet mate , gotta love the Fleetlines :cool: I bought one in the US last year , we flew over and drove it around for a month then sent it home to Western Australia .

[​IMG]

15. judder_man

judder_man
    from U.K.

Very nice.

Anyone got first hand knowledge of how much a Jag front sub frame will lower a Chevy with no other mods? I intend to bag it but trying to get some figures in my head. Of what the stance will be pre air. Also, what back axle? I want to run the straight 6 for a while and maybe later upgrade to <acronym title="Small Block Chevy">sbc</acronym> but kinda thinking if im happy with the 6 i'll run it long term. I could loose a couple of inch in axle width but dont need to. ​

Got a couple of holes to contend with at the mo tho. a lot less than i was expecting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

42's are rare, as has already been said...but a lot of the '46/'47/'48 trim, interior and exterior will interchange...

My brother has a '47...and has a few extra parts if you find you'll need some...it's been on the road, all over the US since 1984...here it is:

[​IMG]

Chassis Engineering has a kit to put in a V8...and a kit to hang a new front suspension...altho, IF you rebuild the stocker, there's really nothing wrong with it if you find some '50 Chevy brake drums and wheel bearings...

R-

17. judder_man

judder_man
    from U.K.

That's stunning. Think i have seen other pics of that online. drop me a pm with any spares he has. also there is a list of most of what i need in the first post thanks. I want to go lower not stock. I have a jag xjs front subframe correct stud pattern too.

18. judder_man

judder_man
    from U.K.

Ok so the full interior is now out. having waded through a ton of rodent shite the interior is now bare and i can see exactly what i have to contend with.

The worst of the holes was left by a mad aftermarket floor mounted heater. :wacky:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Those floor heaters were generally dealer-installed. I had one in my '47 Aero. They'll warm you right up, too! They are in addition to the underdash-mounted heater. Very good units that will warm a car (especially the back seat riders!) right up.

20. judder_man

judder_man
    from U.K.

Then those dealers have a lot to answer for lol. those holes look like they were cut with a hammer. Thanks for the info.

21. blacky

blacky

Mine had one of them too , I tossed it - no need for heaters over here ;)

A mate is building a ute with a Jag front and rear, very easy to install and will get it nice and low - I had one for mine but ended up using an early Holden as they are narrower.

22. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

23. That sounds cool, love to see pics.....of the jag install too.

24. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

That's in a lot better shape then the 48 Aero I started on, keep us posted.

25. Cool project. '46 is my fav. grill of the era. I have a '47 Fleet, bagged, no IFS and it sits nice and low, but not too low (I'm not into. laying frame, I want to be able to drive it home if I lose a bag). You can see pics in my profile. These cars are easy to bag and not too expensive. Of course a Jag front end will make it a better driving car and I'd imagine in the UK you'd have access to many of them. Good luck and keep the project pics rollin in!

26. judder_man

judder_man
    from U.K.

Cheers guys and thanks for the spares links. I took a trip out to see a friend yesterday who has installed a jag front on a 50's chevy pick up and it looked a fairly clean install. I wanted to go the jag route as I already have a jag clip and the stud pattern is the same and access to spares is good for the jag bits here. I have already picked up a left hand drive rack I need to climb back under the old girl as I don't want the cross member sitting lower than the rails under the body if i can help it and cant remember if the front rails snake up a little.

Will defo check yours out Comet be great to see how it sits.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  27. I just looked at my pics and the only pic I have where it's at the lowest is the one with the nose high (just the rear is low).

28. judder_man

judder_man
    from U.K.

Strange, yours looks like the one i have on my desktop lol and that is laying rail. Same tires same wheels etc.

[​IMG]

29. speters

speters

Good luck with this one I am a big fan of this style! My 48 Pontiac shares a lot of the same design

30. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Rare car. I look forward to seeing it finished.