Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swi66

swi66

2. swi66

swi66

3. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

Ditto Dan. She will always be anatomically perfect at any age, and no hideous tats !. Tom S. in Tn.

4. swi66

swi66

5. Ben38

Ben38
    from Minnesota

The censor in our house ( my mom) didn't miss that fact

6. swi66

swi66

7. swi66

swi66

8. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Ben, you are SO right! It was hard being a red-blooded boy in the mid-'60s, fer shur! :(

9. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

From Bob Dolivio's personal collection, as published in Hotrod magazine. Bob's comment: "I think this was
    the last NASCAR race on the beach at Daytona, 1958. It's not my photo, but it's a favorite. Either Ray Brock
    or Wally Parks shot it from the grandstands. I just had to have a print. I'm still enjoying it.":cool: An inex-
    haustible photographer of MANY subjects, Dolivio is known to us for his work in Hotrod and Motor
    Trend, etc., as well as being photographic director for Peterson Publications!

10. swi66

swi66

11. Nice, a quiet trip to the summer place, three Caddy's and a Kaiser-Darrin.

12. swi66

swi66

13. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

Hotrod magazine photographer Bob Olivio comments on one factor that makes this 1954 shot as special
    as it is eye-popping, :cool: after more than a half-century: "We weren't shooting much color in 1954, when all
    the inside pages were still printed in black and white. Here's an early 35mm transparency from a little
    German camera I carried for my own use. It's a good thing I was shooting Kodachrome that day at Paradise
    Mesa [near San Diego], because Ektachrome would've faded away."

14. swi66

swi66

15. swi66

swi66

16. swi66

swi66

17. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Gary, two red Xs for pix 2 & 3 in 56,933. I couldn't right click & open them. Anybody else having this?

18. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Doesn't Tommy Ivo strike you as the kind of guy who's as cool
    and friendly in real life as his photos would seem to indicate?
    Hey, Tommy! Wanna share a beer or two???:D

[​IMG]

Hotrod photographer Bob Dolivio said of Tommy Ivo, whose T-bucket he shot: "Ivo was really innovative.
    I don't think he got the credit he deserved. People thought he had the money and he paid guys to build
    and maintain his cars but, no. Tommy did most of it himself."

19. twin6

twin6
    from Vermont

Almost choked from laughing when I saw this. My brother had a Sting Ray with a sissy bar, and he did his own steering wheel conversion with one from a Ford Falcon, if I remember correctly. Never quite got it bolted on right. Man was that scary to ride. Like so many pix on this thread, I'd have never even thought about that without seeing this - thanks.

20. al8apex

al8apex

so is this kart direct driven - gear to gear or is the drive chain missing in the above photo?

21. uneasyrider

uneasyrider

My Grandfather met these two while delivering distilled beverages to make money to go to college. :D He didn't actually talk to them they were just there because they knew the guy that distilled the beverage and my Grandpa happen to be there on a day when they came in. He said they drove the delivery vehicles into the warehouse and used a freight elevator lift them to the still to load them up. They would make a batch and put the "up scale" labels on it and deliver it to the "up scale" at an "up scale" price. Then they would fill another round with the same exact stuff with the "poor boy" labels and sell it cheaper to the less affluent. :D

22. uneasyrider

uneasyrider

"Hey Wally!". Neat picture! :D

23. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Found this ad for Villiers

Attached Files:

24. WCD

WCD

Leave it to SWI66 to find a rare shot of some early Class C racing. Cant imagen the effort required to pitch those pigs sideways in the sand.

25. uneasyrider

uneasyrider

Yes! And from the interviews I've seen with him he seems like a real good guy. I'm an Ivo fan! He loves his racing! :D Watch "Lions: The Greatest Drag Strip" and "American Nitro". He says in "American Nitro" he really thinks of himself as a racer first and an actor second. Like Steve, James D., James G., Paul and others they loved racing! :cool:

Attached Files:

26. WCD

WCD

While I like the dirt modified on the top, the very rare shot of what I think might be George Hutchiesons AA/FD is what really caught my eye. The cowling has the name "Hutchieson" and the guy leaning into the cockpit looks a lot like him as well. Car features other similarities. This is the same car-I think-that later surfaced as the infamous Stone Age Man, a car that has strong follwing in 67-69. It was at the last two Cacklefests restored to Pebble Beach standards.

27. uneasyrider

uneasyrider

She was "Bewitching". The "Darien's" were lucky guys. :)

28. WCD

WCD

The lime green 66 version featured the nicest body tin ever-in my estimation anyway.

29. WCD

WCD

Only the First Darren appreicated "Sam." The second one simply "acted" his appreciation for sexy female beauty!

30. uneasyrider

uneasyrider

I had this frame (3-spd Huffy) but not the steering wheel. I put a big "Sissy" bar on the back and a big wide tire and a little one in the front... It was the chit until BMX started to show up and then I had to make the conversion. The trips to the Schwinn Shop to get "hop up" parts were always GREAT. Walking the isles drooling over all the options... Tearing it down every weekend to make sure it was in "full race" condition... Those were the days! :D

OH! And don't forget the STP stickers! If you didn't have one on your bike well... :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.