Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Need unusual motor suggestions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bruthish, Sep 15, 2012.

2. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Continental industrial engine.

4TTRUK

3. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

4. lukey

lukey

223 ford.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

5. Locomotive Breath

Locomotive Breath
    from Texas

Rocky, how does a Soviet rocket engine fit into this thread about a
    practical, affordable, traditional engine for a '30 Ford coupe?

But it does sound like a good idea to me. :D

6. I never actually counted cylinders I have heard them called an Allison V-16 all my life and made the assumption that it was 16 cylinders.

I imagine that it has been mentioned but if I could get my filthy little hands on one I think one of those old turbine indy engines that got outlawed would be in my next hot rod. I have always wanted on to play with.

Can't capture the pic damn it but here is a link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/82046831@N00/6107692869/

7. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

-----------------
    Hmm??? So that's where all that
    weird, wacky and wondrous (not
    to mention suicidal!!:eek:) Turbonique
    technology ended up!!! I can see it
    now....a 10-second Chaika with a
    "self-powered, rocket-driven
    supercharger'...or an 8-second
    Lada with a rocket-turbine-powered
    "Drag Axle"!!! :eek::eek::D

8. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Well, when the gates to the asylum are officially opened, craziness just streams in...:D

9. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Love it! :D

As you mention Allison and turbines, the Allison (/Rolls-Royce/MTU/etc.) 250 C* series is quite common, and relatively compact at about 40" long:
    [​IMG]

10. Unusual? A 4 out of a '72 or so Vega, the aluminum one. Of course, it won't last long since they were junk from the word go, but... nobody else will have one.

I'd just buy the first running non-Chevy V8 motor/trans combo I came across and use that.

11. mutant 216

mutant 216
    from everett wa

Oh hell yeah, the alfa engine....

12. uneasyrider

uneasyrider

Agreed! Chevy's are not bad engines it's just so common if you put ANYTHING different in a rig you'll stand out. I would suggests an old Chrysler Poly. There are people that make speed parts for them and they don't pop up in 9 out of 10 hot rods. They are easy to find and parts are still out there.

13. BSL409

BSL409

How about a 348 with 3x2 or 409 with 2x4

14. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

--------------------
    Well....perhaps if - (and just in case)
    - 'Wile E. Coyote' ever comes here
    looking for ideas and suggestions
    on how to build a Model A..... :D

Mart3406
    [​IMG]
    ==============

15. Ought to fit right in the trunk of an A roadster, imagine it with a super streamlined nose and all that is up front is leg room. Now imagine it running 180-200 MPH across Nevada in the early morning with the sun at your back and the wind in your hair.

Maaaan I just got chicken skin on my arms and the back of my neck.

The all aluminum Vega will take a steel sleeve and because no one wants one if you found one you could probably get it real cheap. ;)

16. uneasyrider

uneasyrider

You're warped! I love it! :D

17. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

18. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Quote:
    <table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset"> Originally Posted by rustynewyorker [​IMG]
    I'd just buy the first running non-Chevy V8 motor/trans combo I came across and use that.

</td></tr></tbody></table>

Bingo- the the Cheepie-Sheepie crowd likes to label anyone that's bored by the rows of cheep bellybutton engines "haters", but it just takes more skill and engineering to go with something that's not cookie-cutter off the shelf from Summit and Speedway. Most of these cars never get run hard anyway, so any good dependable engine works fine- but many engines other than the bellybutton can also go down the road in sporting fashion- and some do it better :eek:

As a lot of folks are really into sixes, and the REO V8 has already been mentioned, the REO 331OA six has got to be one of the best-sounding sixes ever, and dependable as a rock- although parts aren't at the local Autozone. My gramps had a fleet of REO trucks with the 331's, including 3 M35 deuce-and-a-halfs, and they sing sweet with a straight-thru muffler. There would be very few folks who could ID that one by sight LOL. Just a thought :p

19. flacoman

flacoman
    from Sunrise FL

The other part of that problem was those oils were all castor-based , so you'd better keep your mouth shut!
    :eek:

20. So other than cost that pretty much leaves the venerable flathead ford out as well, right? Hell you can evern buy a repop flathead ford now if you want to dole out the bucks. :D

I personally don't deem anyone a hater that doesn't like or think the way that I do. I think that hater is actually a metrosexual term anyway, for me it ranks right up there with "Oh Snap".

What I find amusing about the whole deal is that you seldom hear a GM guy bad mouthing a ford, I guess it is just a being secure in yourself thing.

21. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

**:D**.*********************************************:D**
    [​IMG]

22. Locomotive Breath

Locomotive Breath
    from Texas

Hey, watch it now, my business card is copyrighted.

23. Locomotive Breath

Locomotive Breath
    from Texas

How bout an International V8 266, 304, 345, 392. A little heavy but affordable, cool looking, and almost bulletproof.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IqdYVwVrX1E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

24. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Beaner, It's hard to believe you actually said that- you must be reading the HAMB in a different language than I am lol :p

25. Faus

Faus

Mercury 410, ford 406 or 360

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

26. Well I would bad mouth yours but just because you are so easy to rattle, well that and I like ya. ;)

27. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Two Words, Pack and Ard