Register now to get rid of these ads!

tire size front of gasser?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CGkidd, Nov 30, 2012.

1. CGkidd

CGkidd

What size front rims would be my best bet for my gasser? 14", 15" or 16" I have 16" with 500/16 on it right now.

Attached Files:

2. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

We used VW bug tires

3. Don't just get the rims. Buy the whole wheel. They are easier to mount.

4. Yup, 5.60 X 15 Bug tires, we used to sell them to the guys running gassers at Great Lakes Dragway when we had the VW store in Racine. I never understood why someone running 150 MPH + would use those tires but alot of them did.

5. Wheels: 15" x 3-1/2" or 4"

Tires: 165R15

6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Instant classic...

7. While you're at it get a pair of 16" x 10" or 12" for the rear.

Yes, I said 16" for the rear - Very traditional and correct!

8. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

165's are kinda big, 145's are a much, much better fit on a 4" wheel.

hotrodtodd1960 likes this.
  9. 145's won't have the proper load rating.

Here's a link to a chart. Remember the total of the front 2 tires must be greater than the total front end weight. http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoLoadIndex.dos

10. lawman

lawman

All of that is very good info!!!! Thanks

11. oj

oj

Is it a race car? Looks like it. Then you need to be aware that the front tire size has a direct affect on et and mph - and they fully understood it 'back in the day'
    the smaller diameter will start the lights sooner but get there later, a taller tire will start the timer later but get there sooner.
    So to take advantage you'd run the shorter tire and stagger your wheelbase (have one front tire ahead of the other) by the allowed 1". That way the rearmost front tire sets the lights and starts the timers while the foremost front tire breaks the beams at the finish line.
    By doing the stagger and tire size you have the advantage, an equally powered car will never be able to win.
    Changing tire size would increase the mph, when at indy the guys wanting to set records would run first for et and then change tire size and run for mph. That would be more true to the stocker type classes but you get the point.

12. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I'm running 3.5"x15" on the front with a 165/80/15 tire. The back width depends on what fits and sits in thw wheelwell the way you like. I've got lots of pictures of old 50's and 60's gassers with 6"-7"-8" tires and wheels, so there's no "correct" width that's traditional gasser.

13. Allowable "stagger" per NHRA and IHRA rules is 1/2".

14. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

I must've missed it, but nowhere in the OP's post did I see it having to conform to rules of any kind. Nor did I see any inclination of what engine or trans the guy's running so how did you determine the required load rating? Also, have you ever (and I mean EVER) seen or heard of a 145/15 tire being the cause of any problems? Of course, I've only been running that size for 30+ years and gawd-knows-how-many street and strip miles without failure, so what do I know?

15. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Seems to me like "gassers" had front tires of varying sizes but usually more on the small size and axle stagger and rollout seem kind of silly to me on a car that tended to go nose up right out of the hole.

16. k-member

k-member

Get a set of front tires from Brother Cody Adams man, ya know he some some killer looking ones and then get wheels to fit.

17. Hemiaaron

Hemiaaron

The best size and the best tires to buy are 5.60 x 15 Firestones from Coker Tire.
    Don't buy recaps they will come apart one you and they will never balance.
    Radir wheels has brand new vintage pie crust tires.
    They are made by M/T for Radir. Check out the attached photos.
    They are the best!!!

Attached Files:

18. k9racer

k9racer

. I used 2 sizes 670 15 because the were cheap and easy to get. The other was a 640 15 that came on a Nash Rambler. they were shorter and a little lighter. I don't know if Coker still sells the 640 or not................ This was pre Christmas tree era................................ I had a friend who used 600 16 to get his car a little higher in the front................................. At this time we knew nothing about aero dynamics. In this time era I witnessed cars race in stock class and step up and race the gas classes.. these cars had every tire combo you could think of.......

19. A car does not instantly go straight up upon launch. Front wheel stagger does make a sizable difference when drag racing.

The 5.60-15 is about the same as a 165R15. Biggest difference is one's a bias ply while the other is a radial.

20. CGkidd

CGkidd

Wow great info. Thanks for the responses. Kmember I will be checking with Cody but I am trying to determine what to pick up some rims.

21. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Second this! Hurst tires will never balance, are usually older cores and won't last. Besides, the customer service SUCKS. Will not stand behind their product. Radir or Towel racing.

22. my Anglia has been running 135R15 Michelin's since the 1960's

23. Texas Mopars

Texas Mopars
    from Texas

Nexen makes a 165/80 R15 that works well on street cars for about $60.

24. Hemiaaron

Hemiaaron

I bought 2 sets of Hurst tires both of sets required over 32 ounces of lead. There was no way for me to hang that much weight on them. I returned them a got my money back. Radir tires balanced with only 6 ounces of weight.

25. Butch M

Butch M

I like the look's of the 560x15 not sure what's correct that's what I have on mine

26. toxic waste

toxic waste
    from Iowa

Are you going to race this truck? Or is it a street driver that might get race one time? Go with a good brand of tire and buy what size that looks cool to you. It's your truck. I think it looks bitchen right now.

27. This may sound tacky to you guys but I'll ring in here for a quicky!
    In the EARLY 60's when we were racing Gas and Altereds we use to build our own!!! Wee would get a pair of 13" Falcon wheels or similar wheels and the tires. we would knock the centers out of either Chevy or Ford 15" wheels turn them down on a lathe and reinsert them into the 13" rims. Tack them up and triple check the registry on the lathe and then weld them up. Yes it's work, hard, and probably NOT for todays guys!!!
    BUT that IS the way we did it. I don't think you can find recaps any longer as far as small car tires today. WE DID NOT RUN THEM even in the 60's! We did however run the recapped slicks! They were not wrinkle wall type as they had not been invented yet. Even though we did let out the air in them sometimes to have the car launch straight.
    That Is the way it was!

28. CGkidd

CGkidd

I plan on running it to close by local shows, with trips to Nostalgic events. It's is only going to get a 8 gallon tank, combined with 4.11 4 speed and the built olds it will definately be a fun ride.

29. CGkidd

CGkidd

Hmmm wonder where I could scare up a pair of Falcon rims?

30. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

165 is actually closer to 6.50" wide while a 145 is close to 5.60" When I switched from 5.6's to radials, the 145's were nearly exactly the same size, which is why I now run them to achieve the same look.