Register now to get rid of these ads!

What in your opinion is the best sounding powerplant?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dsiddons, Nov 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

The color is a bit off in this pic. taken in front of my house in SoCal.
    As far as I know, and have seen it parked beside other Shelbys, it's the
    standard blue color used on the GTs and Cobras.

2. Like the video ?

3. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

The car in the video looks just a bit darker. I believe the color is called Guardsman Blue.
    Could be the difference between a fresh paint job and the paint on my BILs. His was painted in the early 90s and spent all of it's early life on the race track at Willow Springs, until my BIL bought it from Doug Fieger (The Knack) in 2003.

4. Fordguy78

Fordguy78

I'm very partial to the way a big block Ford sounds. High performance Pontiacs sound pretty good and almost all big block chryslers sound good.

5. wolfie1961

wolfie1961

I'll have to agree.
    Then would be the wife's boat engine. :D

[​IMG]

6. 62RagtopNova

62RagtopNova

For a car I agree with the 427 Cobra for any internal combustion motor I have to go with a Rolls Royce Merlin.

7. Nitro Breath

Nitro Breath
    BANNED
    from Eugene, OR

Geez, yes! We have a winner!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AxAW3oV8tw8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. Rocky that toot toot was classic. :D

I would have loved to hear that big ford running under a load out on the high way, for me it is never about idle it is about loaded and pulling that is when any performance engine sounds the best.

I am the same way about top fuel, I am not a cackle fest fan, let me hear it pulling for all it worth on the track. That is when a nitro burning monster sounds best.

9. brocluno

brocluno

10. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

After watching the video the boss posted on his latest blog, I may have to nominate the 300sl. What an awesome growl that thing has!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

11. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

I'm fond of Flatheads, both 2 & 8 cylinder types.

Attached Files:

12. :D:D I had a ULH once that sounded rather like a thrashing machine, I liked it probably because it was mine, but it sounded a lot like a thrashing machine. :D:D

13. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

Well, 37-41(?) HD big inch Flatties, didn't quite purr like the Springfield machines:)

14. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

This'un makes a little noise- check out the Super B carb, equal-length pipes, Accel coil, and the open-fan Hitachi alternator :rolleyes: Guess it qualifies as a "hot rod" :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Kinda homely compared to a Springfield too :p

16. Nope everything on the old beast either clanked rattled or banged, and it was not because it was loose or worn out (yet). When it made its best sound was @ about 70 on the highway, it just kind of chuff, chuff, chuffed along. I think the sound was something that had to grow on you. Mine was a '38.

Ya know as motor cycles go there are a lot of bikes that had a distinctive sound and you either liked it or you didn't. I loved the sound of the Ol' man's Henderson 4 (became the Indian 4), but he also had an Ariel square 4 that I never did like the sound of. If I hear an Ariel today it is the same, just something that I can't learn to like.

Oh Tommy I meant to say I think that last 80" flathead was '40 I could be wrong bu that is the number I have in my mind. I do know that after the war the only big flatty was 74".

Well Gene if it ain't it is missing the best chance it ever had. ;)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  17. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

Ahhh yes, an Inline 4:)

Attached Files:

18. The old man's Henderson droaned me to sleep many a night when I was little.

The Henderson had the intake over exhaust valve setup, Indian used it at first then went to the seperate intake and exhaust on the upside down engine then back to intake over exhaust on the last of the 4 cylinders.

I would love to own anyone of them myself. I doubt that I will ever had that kind of cash but I would still love to own one.

19. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

PnB, I'd never heard of an Ariel 4 before, and I can say after looking it up on you tube it is one of the worst sounding bikes I've ever heard haha.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

20. Probably the least dependable of all the limeys. The rear cylinders were forever burning themselves up.

21. I don't care what anybody says that bike is just about as cool as they get !

At one time I had everything but the engine ( was saving for a knuckle head) to put one of those together, even had a savior frame. Could kick myself for letting go of that stuff.

22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Mostly an issue on the two pipe Mk 1's. The four pipe mk 2 didnt have an issue with that.

Heres a real oddball V-4 no-one has mentioned. Remember the Yamaha V-Max? Theres a guy around here who has one of those with a loud aftermarket pipe on it that sounds WICKED at WOT. Has a high rpm yowl that makes the hair on your neck stand up. Never thought of them as a great sounding bike till I heard this one, but man, and the sound really carries too. You can hear that thing half a mile away.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Gene, I was reading your posts and just thinking about how odd this is. Lumpy FE's and Ducatis have got to be about the oddest couple around, but heres two guys on an unrelated forum that both have/had a Ducati twin and a hot FE in same garage. Some kind of strange karmic thing going on there...

24. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

When a Harley is about to pass, I normally roll my window up. But, I would have to say. I have pulled over and egressed the vehicle to hear a overhead flying round engine or V12..

25. I think that Honda made a 4 cylinder V as well. Called it a 750 GT or something like that. I do not think that they were a real popular bike when they came out, maybe it was a price thing.

26. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

The VR series. Sport bikes and cruisers.

27. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Actually the Indian 4 didn't spring from the Henderson, although it was similar, Bill Henderson went on his own and created the Ace, a different bike. Indian bought out Ace- the '27 model was nothing but an Ace with an Indian decal on the tank- the "Indian Ace", one-year only. Next came the '28 Model 401, the first real "Indian" 4, with a frame similar to the revered 101 Scout but slightly larger, and with the leaf-spring forks and the Ace engine. Very few 401's were made, as they had a single-downtube frame that vibrated pretty bad- a brace from the engine to the frame was tried, but didn't fix it. The '29 Model 402 was pretty much the same bike, but with double downtubes which cured the problem. I just happen to have a 401 :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ace_Motor_Corporation

This is an unmolested original 401 with a sidecar- a very rare and valuable motorsickle

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is my 401- it's gone past the back burner to the top shelf :eek:
    Note the single downtube on both bikes, 401 only

[​IMG]

This is a '29 Model 402- note the double downtubes. This one also has the "export" front wheel stand, as does my 401

[​IMG]

28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Theres a guy around here that has a drop-dead beautiful Ace, dk blue with pale yellow wheels, I have a photo somewhere, I should dig it up. So Gene, just what DONT you have??:rolleyes::D NICE bikes!

29. Heheh. I am gonna get banned for this, but the sound of a 13b twin turbo rotary in full flight with a full stainless exhaust sends tingles down my spine. Maybe on par with the Aston Martin v12 engine...

30. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

This is my DR, non-Hamb friendly of course- 2K Chief, 88" S&S with a Wood cam, reprogrammed timing, 97hp/98tq and eats 95" Screechin' Chickens for lunch. 18" custom-made wheels with a 200 rear tire, geared-down secondary drive with an OD six-speed- kinda like 4.11 gears with an OD trans in a car. Homemade tank shifter with a RatFink shift knob- you can shift by hand or foot. I have a couple of the 100ci Powerplus "Bottlecap" engines I'm playing with, working on a 117" stroker. The red one in the back is my buddy's very clean 46 HD flatty. Since the Duke's gone, the only other bike for now is the rasty old Tote Gote I picked up at the Petaluma swap meet for $40

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.