Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. baldtireman

baldtireman

Don Martin Trucking Special(Lernerville Speedway),Driven by Dick Schwartzlander. ex-Johnny Thompson#3-recently restored in PINK!!!Beautiful job,too!:I see Dick often,as he is the crew chief on son Dan's late model. A wonderfully gentle MAN!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  2. deuce354

deuce354

I mean Bob McConnell Restored it

3. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

I'm now reminded of some of the guys that use to post here pretty regular but haven't been heard from in a long while. Spike Ruth, Old Bill, M-light come to mind. Anyone know how there doing these days? Hope all is good with them.

4. Sprinter 2

Sprinter 2
    from Ct.

Rootie..I was with MLight9 at Stan Lobitz's movie party earlier this month. He is alive and well !

5. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Good to hear! thanx.

6. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Rootie;
    How are you my friend? Hope you are well out there in the Rockies!!
    Very sorry for not sending any posts or pics for so long. In the past year or so ive had severe neck problems, a stroke, andb my usual spinal troubles!! Im now in a wheel chair, so some days are a real bumber! Ive always been a guy who loves life, but nowadays im not so sure.
    Posts from you guys, and those fantastic old pics help also. Keep them coming. Makes a long day much shorter!!
    Thanks for everyones concern.
    Spike

7. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Spike, Good to hear from ya. Denny Z.

8. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Hey buddy, I'm doing good but am sorry to hear of your recent health problems and no need to apologize, I understand. It's great to hear from you though, was beginning to fear the worst. Take care my friend!

9. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

Spike it`s great to hear from you.

10. yep, i'm still here. been enjoying all the great info you guys post.
    very glad to hear from spike, (hang in there spike). anybody going to
    be @ EMMR/Latimore sat or sun????
    d.

11. Sprinter 2

Sprinter 2
    from Ct.

Rootie... Looks like we have to shake the tree every so often to see who falls out.. It's good to hear from Spike and Dennis....

12. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Yes, it's great to hear from them. Now if we get Little Fauss, OldBilll, et al to chime in, we'll think its 2008 again. :D:D

I know Spike is a big Jimmy Bryan fan so here's a shot of JBs rookie ride at Indy to maybe help brighten his day. I think the fellow standing is car owner and our own Racer5c's dad, Doug Caruthers, but not sure.

Attached Files:

• jb-r.jpg
      jb-r.jpg
      File size:
      68.7 KB
      Views:
  13. meengrinch

meengrinch
    from ipswich ma

question for Spike........ but first good to hear from you again..Hope all is well. A friend of mine is in search for a car they called the mechanical rabbit......supposedly sold to some one in nh/maine area. He asks of you if you have any knowledge of it`s location or and history.........Thanks in advance and wish you the very best Jim

14. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Meen, there are several pages on the mechanical rabbits earlier in the huge thread. Just don't know where off hand.

jim

15. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

As Jim says, if he's looking for the Weld/Brown/Saldana "Rabbits" we've kicked them around several times and as I recall it was determined that the're all accounted for but not without some derision.

16. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

The only reason I brought that up is that the welds on truly original roadster frames always look rougher than on modern tube frames. The first thing A.J. Watson says when looking at a modern replica roadster (like those of Mac Miller or Chris Paulsen) is that their cars will never be mistaken for one of his because their welds look so much better than anything he ever did. All of Watson's roadster frames were stick welded with the exception of the first one which was gas welded. It's always interesting when you see a supposedly original and complete Watson roadster frame somewhere with absolutely beautiful examples of TIG welding on the frame from one end to the other. :)

17. Mechanical Wabbits, see pgs. 358 & 359; #7141 thru 7179.
    mlight9

18. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Just remember, that when you're looking for mechanical wabbits you must be verwee, verwee quiet. :D

Attached Files:

19. racer5c

racer5c

Rootie, yes it is!! Where did you find that picture??

20. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

21. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

I am going to be there sunday. If you are there
    sunday give me a bump I want to ask you something

22. BZSPRINT3

BZSPRINT3

Hi I have a 1970 don edmunds spring front and parallel rear car and the dash tag is at an angle and is stamped pbs 102, I know that somebody earlier asked about the tag. Its the one that has the flrd in it.

23. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Rootie'

Thanks for posting the pic, The Arizona Cowboy is the best, in my opinion, and i didnt have that photo. A while back someone sent me a couple of pics of his home, and family.
    Does anyone have any idea what kind of money a guy like Bryan, or the other up-front drivers made? Just curious.

24. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Meengrinch'
    Thanks for the well wishes; you people are all the best!!
    As far as the Rabbitt goes, i dont know much that im sure of about the car. When i was running here in the East with URC, I got to know a driver who said he was from the Left Coast. But he also raced under two different names; Wayne Woodward, and Billy Hughes!!
    The car he was running then he claimed was the original Rabbitt. It sure looked like the right car, but how do you believe a guy with two names, and who was once arrested in the pits at Nazarth Speedway by FBI agents.
    I wish i could help you more
    Spike

25. POOH

POOH

When jimmy Bryan drove for dean he drove for50percent.

26. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

I suspect ol JB was living pretty large around 1958. If you figure his cut of Indy/Championship money and all his other winnings, contigences, endorsements etc. I gotta figure around 100Gs for that year, if not more. Don't sound like that much in 2012 but..........

Attached Files:

• 1958.JPG
      1958.JPG
      File size:
      35.4 KB
      Views:
  27. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

There was a Jimmy Bryan car dealership in Phoenix. I don't know if he just sold his name to it or was an owner.

28. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

When JB took his "hiatus" from oval racing, it was said by some he was angling for a F-1 ride in Europe. Don't know if there is any truth to that but it looks like he was working on his lefty/righty skills at one point.

Attached Files:

29. easter

easter

Rootie - Do you have any scoop and/or photos of the USA guys that went to Monza? to compete against the F1 guys? I think I remember there being a challenge from Europe and the US boys whipping them. Am I close?

30. Easter, Rootie will probably have all the answers but I can tell you I remember that Monza deal. Originally it was to be the Indy car guys against the F-1 but when the F-1 drivers heard the Offy powered roadsters were coming to Monza they all, except for 3 I think, had a change of mind and declined to run. If I remember correctly Jimmy Bryan won one of legs and after the race he had to scramble up the banks to get some of the money that he had in his driving suit pocket. The speed coupled with the banking and the G forces sucked the money out. Somewhere there is a photo of Bryan climbing up the banking and stuffing the money in his pocket. I think Jim Rathman won one of the legs also but don't recall who won the other leg. Rootie, how close was this?