Register now to get rid of these ads!

26 T gow job build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by olskool34, Nov 16, 2012.

1. olskool34

olskool34

I have been wanting to do one of these for so long and the perfect car came up for sale. Plans are a model a chassis and engine, juice brakes, lowered a ton, 21 inch Model A wires with stock 4.50-21 tires, a mild chop (5 inches) and that is about it. I want it to look something like Clayton's T but in a coupe version. My Wife took this picture of it today, as it landed from N.Y. state.

[​IMG]

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

That's going to be a ton of fun! Looks nice and straight. Good luck with it.

3. olskool34

olskool34

I picked up a Model A chassis that had been converted to Juice brakes at some point in time. Looks like a nice job, they used 46 spindles on the A axle up front. Motor turns over nice and has good compression. My pops came over today to swap the body over to the A frame. The body fits the frame like it was made for it. This build might go a little slow as we are also building an A coupe at the moment.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Whoa! Is that the MC mounted on the frame?

5. olskool34

olskool34

Yeah, I am going to change that but it must have worked! They modified the e-brake rod to actuate it with that big long rod.

6. racur96

racur96
    from tn

Looking like its off to a good start.

7. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow great score on the body. Good looking project.

8. Great start with that body, like the sound of your direction on the build. Very nice. JW

9. Good decision to make her a gow job - when done properly - they are are step back in time - look forward to seeing your progress.

Best,
    John

10. ScottV

ScottV

This is one I will be watching ... plans for the build plans for the banger ???

11. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

Agreed good luck I am subscribed

Ghost

12. 60 Belair

60 Belair

Looks like another badass T will be built

13. Blind Elwood

Blind Elwood

Why? It's cool the way it is.

Elwood

14. I always like the T coupes,,subscribed! HRP

15. lahti35

lahti35

Sweet! I'll be watching this one, i'm starting my own T build after the new year... You're only a few hours away to the west of me too!

16. Like a few others have said, wow, that is a great body to start with.

17. olskool34

olskool34

Plans for the banger are a 38 trans I have with a clings adapter. (have one in my 29 coupe and love it) A high compression head and homemade header. Plans for carbs are undecided at the moment.

It was the best body I have seen in a long time and the price was right. The chassis should net me most of the money I need to build it. I might move the motor back in the chassis because with the rear wheelwells lined up with the rear tires, I am about 4 inches short in hood length and I think there is the room to move it back and not touch the firewall. I want to run the T hood and grill/radiator.

18. 1927 T Coupe on a banger powered A frame? Dreadful idea...

Best we stay in touch then!

19. SOHC427

SOHC427

Very Cool, and a great start. That is a really clean Coupe, for where you are at. Where did it come from?
    Eric

20. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I'd use 16" Kelseys rather than the 21s, but I like the rest of your plan a lot.

21. MrModelT

MrModelT

I LOVE this idea and can't wait to see how this turns out!.....also flattered at being a bit of the inspiration behind it :eek:

What are doing as far as body mods? Chop it or leave it? Didn't think chopping it would look good until I messed around with it myself....

No chop:
    [​IMG]

Minimal 2" or 3" chop:
    [​IMG]

I think the most minimal 2" or 3" chop really keeps the proportions and profile in check.....while not making it look too "outlandish" with a 60's 6" or 7" chop that has become synonymous with these coupes over the years.

Just an idea

Love the idea and the progress...keep up the good work! :D

22. MrModelT

MrModelT

I like a nice set of Kelsey's....but they would really look out of place on a true late 20's early 30's "Gowjob". Model A 21"s would look perfect on a lowered and fenderless chassis.

23. olskool34

olskool34

Clayton, that last pic is the exact vision I have in my head, thanks for that! I am sticking with the 21's because I think any other wheel will look wrong. I know the brakes are a little too new for the build but they were on the chassis when I bought it, plus getting it to sit so low and running the mechanicals would have been tricky.

24. modelAsteve

modelAsteve

Sure like the way the 21's fill the rear wheel well! How about some white walls? Don't forget the prettest Ford Wheel- the 17". Think about a spare also.

25. MrModelT

MrModelT

Sure the brakes may not be exactly period, but really...who cares when safety is concerned. They can be dressed to look old if needed, but being able to stop the car safely is important.

Besides...all the work has been done to convert it and those Masters/wheel cylinders look old enough they could pass off as a mid to late 40's retrofit.

26. MrModelT

MrModelT

Yeah...gotta say the 17" are a nice looking wheel....but for that early "Gowjob" look....nothing fits better then a set of 21"s. As you said, they just fill the wheel wells SO nicely! That is why I wanted them on my roadster:

[​IMG]

Oh and here it is with Wide Whites...
    [​IMG]

:D

27. olskool34

olskool34

Not digging the whitewalls. I have brand new blackwalls on it now.

28. MrModelT

MrModelT

Wide Whites just don't look right....blackwalls are the way to go.

29. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus