Register now to get rid of these ads!

64 catalina build Super Duty clone

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jratz1966, Nov 6, 2012.

1. VERNOR-GREEN GARAGE

VERNOR-GREEN GARAGE
    from Michigan

This car was on craigslist a while back, i had a similar idea for it! bought my Model A though! great car great idea. Im all for ""what if" phantoms

2. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Divers street rods is doing a '63 right now but unfortunatly they dont have pic's on their website yet

3. trbomax

trbomax

I had one in 62,sold it in 85. I changed colors on it 3 times.The original was the light tan.It was a 410 hp Ventura.That is one I should not have sold!

Attached Files:

4. junkyard junky

junkyard junky

I bought a 64 when I was 17. Still have it but its a 4dr. Didn't give a whole lot for it.

5. jratz1966

jratz1966

Hey Trbomax,that was a Cool Catalina,I like the 8 lug wheel, I had a set put away thought about using them on this car,but 3 out of 4 liners were cracked,I been looking for the small louvered air cleaners like the ones on yours,I think there the same as what came on early dual quad vettes but haven't found anyone that repops them yet.

6. He is building a what if car; he mentioned that he knew that no Super Duty was produced in '64. I actually like the concept dressed to look like an SD only the wrong year.

In the '90s I put a V-8 in an OT GM vehicle that never had one. I dressed it like the HP model of that year and took extra care to make it look like a factory installation. We even gave the vehicle the high end factory fade job for that year. I used to roll into a cruise and lift the hood and then wander off a bit and watch people argue about it, some of them knowing full well that it was factory and even giving numbers of how many had been produced. great fun and a blast to drive as well.

The same thing can happen with the Phantom '64 Pontiac SD. And it can be fast as well. Fast is always a good part of the equation.

Now it has me thinking, I think I'll find the Pontiac equivalent to the F-85 (tempest) and build me a Pontiac 4-4-2. Now that will screw with some folks.

JRATZ,
    Now you got me thinking and that is never a good thing, love your car but you owe me one. ;)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  7. Let me clear one thing up here.

My comment above was to make clear that Pontiac did not have a Super Duty in 1964. Not that what the OP was doing is not right. Hell, as mentioned, it's his car and he should build it as he sees fit. Even if it's a dream car... it's his dream.

Besides, '64 Ponchos need love too! :D

8. swe64

swe64

nice car and good thinking.
    59-64 was the only time a gm rearend could hold the abuse from a heavy car with traction.and 500hp engine
    this what happend me i think this was result of older abuse when i broke a axle.
    ken
    sweden

Attached Files:

9. Sweden,
    The axles were the weak link. The fellas that owned the Wappid Wabbit (a blown small block powered 55 chevy) actually forged their own because the olds axles would not take the punishment. The olds axles were the stoutest and the olds stuff will go into the Poncho rear with a little finagling. Basically the same rear.

Every drive train has to have a weak link, U joint, axle or tires something has to give.

Well I have rethought my Pontiac 4-4-2 concept it would just be a GTO. Damn the luck.

10. trbomax

trbomax

Ive been wanting a new set too. Ive got a friend with a sd tribute car that wants some,they are impossible to find and no repops. Ive fixed him up with some stuff,but no air cleaners.

11. swe64

swe64

JRATZ. what headers are you gonna use?im looking for shortys but havent found any.
    nice if you using a his and hers shifter first year is 1964.
    ok that i did not know that olds axels where stromger.

12. jratz1966

jratz1966

Hey swe64,I'm going to run a set of repo longbranch manifolds from ram air restoration,they fit real nice and don't have to deal blowing header gaskets.I've got an old Hurst indy matic shifter that I'm planning on running.I have been looking for an his and hers but haven't come across one yet.

Attached Files:

• lb-1.jpg
      lb-1.jpg
      File size:
      42.2 KB
      Views:
  13. swe64

swe64

here is mine 62 cat with th 700 and berdsen adaptor i had to turn solenoid down even with a mini start,had a org starter before so it was tight had to grind off material off one pole.from fatory solenoid was down with long branch heders.

Attached Files:

14. jratz1966

jratz1966

Hey swe64,did you have any clearance issue with trans and tunnel,my car had a slimjim in it from factory,I've been told that I'll have to modify tunnel to put a 400 turbo in it,going to bolt trans to a block I have and test fit hopefully this weekend.just wondering. jratz

15. swe64

swe64

hello i am at work 3 hours from home i will be home this weekend so i can take new pictures
    when i got car i had a 4speed hydramatic 1962.and body was modified for clerence allready and berdsen adaptor moved 700 trans backwards so this made it easy i only took a pice of wood and a hammer and made clerence on pass side of car.i could see some clerence problem on top of tunnel they hade made before.no welding or cutting was made.i will put x-pipe and a better trans mount this winter.
    ken

16. jratz1966

jratz1966

Hey Jeff K,Guys I've talk to that are running the ram air manifold really like them,one guy claims he ran his motor on a dyno with and with headers and there only like 5hp difference.I had a set of aluminum SD manifolds but figured they were to valuable to run. I guess I have an auto stick also,I called an Indy matic but looks just like yours.My tunnel looks pretty close to yours so I'm hoping I dont have to do much to it.

17. jratz1966

jratz1966

I was already thinking about having a drive shaft built,never seen a two piece like this before.I would be afraid it would come apart with any real power and traction

18. Deuces

Deuces

........;)

Attached Files:

19. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Nice and tight!

20. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Awesome! Love Catalinas

21. SUSQ

SUSQ

Man, this is gonna be a sweet deal when finished! I'm enjoying following your build. Thanks for sharing with us.

22. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Seems like a cool project, but reading these posts reminds me of the Corvette guys fighting over the 'correct' strokes on paint dabs.

23. jratz1966

jratz1966

Hey Guys,It's been a couple of weeks getting closer on the body,I worked out a deal with a buddy to do paint work on Catalina,so far he has the front clip done and in color,also did deck lid.I decided to go with pure white nothing in paint except white and binder,parts look good.I removed the front and rear emblems on the hood and deak lid,wanted a clean cheep look.I'm also leaving body side molding off car,still have over seventy holes to weld up.I'm taking him the body and doors this weekend.should have car in color by Christmas,that away I can start putting it back together,I'm shooting to have it together for the basement of the Detroit Autorama in March,still have alot of work ahead tho.

Attached Files:

24. jratz1966

jratz1966

Also got firewall stripped,waiting on my heater delete plates to show up.I put my motor together and set it and trans in car to make sure my oil pan and trans will fit. still haven't painted motor,still trying to decide on correct 64 blue or later blue metallic . Oil pan was tight going in but plenty of clearance once bolted in mounts.Had to modify tunnel for the trans tho,made a t cut on tunnel and spread it out for clearance,I ordered a 4 speed shiftier perch for it will finish tunnel up once parts come in.

Attached Files:

25. 4tford

4tford

Here is a pic of packer pontiac that ran at detroit dragway back in the 60's was a 63 though. They looked and ran good.

Attached Files:

26. jratz1966

jratz1966

Hey 4tford,that's one of the Swiss cheese car,it's a wonder they held up with all the holes they punched in the frame to save weight.

27. uneasyrider

uneasyrider

My suggestion for an engine would be a stroker 400. I'm not a fan of the 455 because of the large mains although plenty of people used them. I have a 462 (400 stroked and bored) in my '74 Trans Am and it works GREAT. It puts out all it's power below 5,400rpm with peak power being 500hp and peak torque at 562ftlb at about 3,200rpm. It was built by SD Performance and it's a real sweetie. :) I'd run a 4-spd but I love to shift. :D

28. uneasyrider

uneasyrider

Yep! The big mains are fine for lower rpm but if you spin them up the bearings get fried. Not that my 400 is a screaming high rpm engine but the 3" mains work fine and they are easier on the oil.

Cliff is a good guy from what I've gathered. I've talked to him on the phone once and he's on PY forum and he's very knowledgeable and of course what doesn't he know about Q-jets.

29. jratz1966

jratz1966

Hey uneasyrider,I too like stick shift set up,but I don't have parts to convert,been looking but the stuff brings stupid money,I'm running a 428 with the 325 mains,but it has a nodular iron crank with SD rods,I have a buddy who's been bracket racing another 428 built like mine for over ten seasons with out any issue.

30. 4tford

4tford

They had to cut the holes to compete with chevy, ford, and chrysler because they were too heavy. I always liked the 62-64 pontiacs they helded there own at the strip.