Register now to get rid of these ads!

Original Batmobile to be auctioned in January 2013

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Doctor Detroit, Nov 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

This is on-topic, isn't it?

"Atomic batteries to power. Turbines to speed"
    "Roger, ready to move out."

I just read an interesting news article about the original Batmobile. Apparently, Barris has always owned it, and it will be auctioned in January. This is the car that was used in the show from 1960-68, built by Barris. The article said it's difficult to assess the value of this car, since it's the original, first one. Apparently it was the 'only' one, and custom cars such as this are extremely rare to go to auction, so there isn't anything to compare it to for a price.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/11/29/autos/batmobile-auction/

2. scrubba

scrubba

Truth be told , I never thought he would let go of it . scrubba

3. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

As a kid in the 1970's, that Batmobile the coolest car ever, in my mind. I still prefer it to the movie versions.

4. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

The guy saying it will only sell for a few hundred grand is on crack. It's the Batmobile. Yes it was beautiful as the Futura etc.. but it's the fucking Batmobile. Even God will probably phone in a bid...

5. Gator

Gator

Too bad I only won four bucks on the Powerball last night. :eek:

6. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I never thought he'd sell the Barris Kustom 'registered' crests, either...LOL

I think George was waiting 'til the last dyin' minute. And this year may be it.

7. 62RagtopNova

62RagtopNova

The front "machine guns" are gray PVC sprinkler nipples with sprinkler heads on them. Up close the car is a mishmash of stuff like most TV cars but the icon factor is high enough to bring big $$$.

8. The "new ones" made in Logansport, Indiana sells for around $100000 and are amazing. This one will definitely be e x p e n s i v e!!

9. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sun of a gun, I am actually going to get to see the damn thing at Barrett! It was a big deal back in the day.

10. The new ones are a hunred and fifty thousand n im sol n on the welfare!

11. I hope it goes for big bucks.

12. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

In a room full of beautiful custom exotics and collectors items, THIS car would be King. Personal preferences and tastes aside, that's a fact. Every Bruce Wayne wannabe rich boy on the planet gets a chance to grab it. It's gonna be silly.

13. remember seeing it at a car show at the seattle center back in the late 60's. fantastic looking car

14. Seeing how it is a genuine 1950s concept car as well as the 'Batmobile' I would not be surprised if it hits 7 figures. I think George may have held out for so long for fear it may be returned to its 'Futura' concept car appearance. Or maybe get top dollar as he is entitled to do.

15. metalshapes

metalshapes

Hopefully, thats exactly whats going to happen.

It would be great if the damage that was done to the Futura could be repaired...

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  16. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'm holding out until I can get one of the ones painted with black fuzz. I remember seeing one of those when I was a kid at the Oakland Roadster Show.

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

George has drug or sent it around the country for years. I've seen it at more than one show where you or your kid could have their picture take with it for 5.00. It does look a bit tired up close though.

18. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

George is quoted as saying "it's time it went where people can see and enjoy it"..............translation......"I'm on the skids and I really NEED the money"

Ray

19. henry29

henry29

Good thing I didn't win the powerball, I would have bought it and restored it to the Futura.

20. metalshapes

metalshapes

The Lincoln Futura was special.

Cant get much more Custom than a '50s Detroit Concept Car.

What happened to that car later is about as attractive as a patchouli armpit...

21. slammed

slammed

'Need's" the money? Hell's Bell's Ray-mond, most ANY one can use that kind of $money$ even an Ivy Leaguer!

22. THE only thing that made the Futura special was that it was used for the Batmobile !
    Get real.

23. japar

japar
    from Seekonk Ma

Thank God I got outbid last week on the 32 McMullen roadster , Now I can buy the car I really want!

24. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Hey man, I love hippie chicks!

25. wvenfield

wvenfield

I'm with you there, man.

26. wolfie1961

wolfie1961

Hell, George is probably going to outlive me and I'm 50!!!
    He looked pretty good at my son's birthday party and again at the Long Beach Motorama last year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

Is this the REAL one that was actually the Futura, or is one of the copies he made for the show circuit???? To me, there would be a BIG difference in value.

28. wolfie1961

wolfie1961

I remember going to George's auction back in the 80's and the Batmobile rolled onto the auction block advertised as the one and only Batmobile. It went for $93K if I remember correctly. A few cars later, another Batmobile rolled onto the block. You could hear the gasps in the crowd. I think I heard the buyer of the first ones heart stop!! After the fourth one rolled up, it went for somewhere around $40K.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  29. It seems like the Bonnie & Clyde car...its everywhere. They've got one at the Volo Auto museum in Illinois. I remember seeing a 'Bat Fuzz' version in the '70's at a car museum in Highland Park Illinois.

30. If Ron Pratt shows and bids, it probably is the real thing. See what happens

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.