Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ootewah Speed Shop Roadster (History Search)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OoltewahSpeedShop, Nov 26, 2012.

1. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

I'm all for taking it back to it's former glory.... but there's no way in hell I'm swapping that Nailhead for a Flathead. We'll just have to add one more chrome pipe out the hood side.

We'll just call this the "Fast & Reliable" version... :cool:

2. primed34

primed34

Not sure how some of us good old boys are going to take to a coral hot rod. Might take a lot of getting used to.

3. Ding, ding, ding - We have a winner!!! Getter Done Kevin!

4. 40grit

40grit

Watch it now....You know how sensitive some of us are.;)

5. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Ha.... That's funny, I guess you never know who reads this stuff.

6. primed34

primed34

I might have to have a little nip of 'shine to get over a coral hot rod. For damn sure keep the nailhead.

7. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Sorry John, you know my feelings for the beloved Flathead. "They are great as long as they are yours, not mine"

I know you Bobby, after a little bit of my Shine.... You don't give a Damn what color I paint it. Glad your keeping up with us brother.

8. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I love this car and the history. Very very cool stuff bud!!!!

I'd like to secretly vote for the flathead but I know this isn't a democracy. :D:D:D

9. primed34

primed34

I've been keeping up, just quietly. You must have me confused with someone else on the Shine. :D

10. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

Hay Kevin. Nice ride and a very intersting thread of history. In your # 28 post where the roadster is parked at waters edge, was that on 129 (The Dragon) close to the dam?? As you might notice, I list from Fla/TN. One of these days I'll drop in to say howdy. Need to replenish my supply of "Jeremiah Weed" at Ooltewah Liquors. Did I see shine mentioned??? cheers

11. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

The pics by the water are at a scenic view pull off on 58 hwy near Harrison Bay. 15 minutes north/west of Chattanooga on the Tennessee river.

Here's a few more from the same day last January. That's the first cruise we took the roadster on. Good day...! :D

Attached Files:

• 048.jpg
      048.jpg
      File size:
      472.4 KB
      Views:
    • 057.jpg
      057.jpg
      File size:
      467.1 KB
      Views:
    • 069.jpg
      069.jpg
      File size:
      494.2 KB
      Views:
    • 080.jpg
      080.jpg
      File size:
      481.4 KB
      Views:
  12. Hey Kev ,love the story.I like the original but agree with you about the nail head . that being said the original side pipes are a thing of beauty.

13. Keep you posted on what else I find and when I speak to Charlie Hall.

14. I take it that by no comment the rollbar is staying? Just wondering here.

15. alchemy

alchemy

Are you gonna re-fill the wheelwells?

16. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

I'm on the fence with the roll bar.... I like it with the top off, but not so much with it on. Probaby needs to go. Right?

The original version did not have have them filled, that happened during the time in SoCal.

If I'm going to go for the "Full On" original look, need to do it as close as possible. Everything besides losing the Nailhead. Even though it would be a shame to cover it up, I'll just leave the hood closed when the purists come around. ;)

Am I on the right track?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  17. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Thanks for all the help Ron.

18. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Leave the hood closed? No way..

That motor is a piece of art.

19. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

I'm having a real hard time convincing myself to paint my BLACK roadster some version of Coral.... I've been wanting a shiny black Model A roadster all my life, and the only part I don't have (yet) is the shiny. I was planning on painting the car this winter.

Even a harder time thinking of putting a full hood on it to cover up that engine. If it was a SBC or a Flathead (sorry), maybe...

I do REALLY like the long chrome headers, and have been thing of building something close to that anyway. But CORAL....?

I think I would be sick of it by the end of the week...! History or not. I know I'll get blasted, so let's hear it. :rolleyes:

20. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

So, paint it shiny black. It's your roadster now. :)

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

21. 40grit

40grit

OK You asked.:D It seems to me you have 2 choices.

One: restore the car as originally built. Not half way or a little here and there but put it back as it was. It is either restored or not.

Two: build the car as you like and will enjoy it. Be thankful for the history and document all of it you can. The car's history will always be priceless no matter what you choose to do.

Personally, I vote for number 2. You love the nailhead, want a shiny black car and the traditional style of the car.. Do what makes you happy. You will still have fantastic piece of history.

John L

22. DeepSea Fish

DeepSea Fish

I'm with 40grit on this one all the way. Without a full blown reincarnation of the original car, you've just painted it the wrong color for the way it's built today. Not to say it wasn't really neat and unique, but it's a different car now. Save all the history and enjoy the car.

23. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

I'm enjoying the car alot right now, and plan on making some minor improvements over the winter. Just some oil leaks and preventative maintenance stuff. Before I do anything major, I want to see what else turns up. Hell... it might have been titty pink before it was coral, and I like titty's. :D

I really appreciate all the comments and value all the opinions. I honestly think the Hamb has some of the brightest minds involved in Hot Rods these days.

I'll keep posting photos and adding info as it comes along.

Thanks,
    Kevin

24. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

Hey there,

The car has been coral, white and currently matt black.
    Keep the style make it a shiny black.

Then enjoy it. :)

Martyn

25. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Let's not forget Lavender.... :(

26. You know you have to do...;)

27. primed34

primed34

You show up with a pink(coral) roadster, someone may think you got sugar in your drawers. :D

28. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

After seeing the pix you've posted I'm now thinkin' black is beautiful.

29. Personally,I like a lot of colors ans some hambers have come up with some colors I would have never thought of and they have wowed the masses!

But,I have always loved Black cars and I'm sure the roadster would be beautiful in Gloss Black. HRP

30. K204DR

K204DR
    from Chatt TN

I would ditch the rollbar and call it good.