Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fly Wheels Magazine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

In the past, I have been able to find Japanese magazines in large metropoliton areas like San Francisco and Los Angeles. I found thier motorcycle magazines to be excellent. They have a great appreciation of American gearhead culture.

3. I knew that there was a following for Harleys and American automobiles but never really thought about traditional American hot rods. Thanks for the enlightenment. We have over 80 members, here on the h.a.m.b., showing thier home to be in Japan. Interesting...

4. sololobo

sololobo

I have been very fortunate to have done business with my Japanese friends for the last 20 years, exporting vintage clothing, furniture, collectables, musical gear, and some automotive goods. My last little project , a 59 Ford tu-door Ranch Wagon has moved over there as well. My experience was delightful with these honest, kind, and fun folks, they are amazing to work with. Nice to see the trad scene growing there as it is here. ~sololobo~

5. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I have always liked thier style of panhead and shovelhead builds.:)

6. deto

deto

Man that is some cool stuff. Gotta appreciate the dedication that far away from the states...

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

check out Hard Core "Rod&Kustom" semi annual magazine. most everything done half English / half Japanese.

8. flamingokid

flamingokid

Aren't they the 51st state?

9. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

I think that magazine was started by an old editor of Cruisin magazine.
    A photographer friend ZAP was shooting pictures for the first issue.
    Good to see it get such a strong following.
    19 issues!

TP

10. goetzcr

goetzcr

Ed Hines and I are in different situations. I am too young and broke for retire.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  11. I'm sitting in the airport lounge waiting for my flight to Yokohama for the Mooneyes Show this weekend.

The hot rod and kustom kulture in Japan has to be experienced to be believed.

12. autobilly

autobilly

Cool lookin' rag, thanks for the peak Jay.
    Hope you have a ball Carps, please post pics.

13. jms

jms
    from Chicago IL

I love seeing those cars with the Japanese plates!

14. michael037

michael037
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Carps
    If you see this in time, would it be possible for you to grab a copy of this magazine for me please?
    Thanks
    Michael

15. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Jay. Un-fucking-believable what they've got going on over there. Exceedingly HAMB friendly, very cool.

16. rbantique

rbantique
    from maine

Thanks for the heads up !!

Attached Files:

• j 1.jpg
      j 1.jpg
      File size:
      131.4 KB
      Views:
    • j 2.jpg
      j 2.jpg
      File size:
      140.4 KB
      Views:
    • f 3.jpg
      f 3.jpg
      File size:
      145.4 KB
      Views:
  17. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I guess there are Car Crazy people in every country who all share the same passion many of us do.

The difference is in the way they express their views on style and design.

I enjoy seeing what others are building. Jimbo

18. nori

nori

That's mag I do not see nowadays.
    Oh !?!? the man of the cover I didn't know with Julio.

We are defeated country cause got influence from USA .

19. nori

nori

20. Sorry Michael, couldn't find any copies of the mag anywhere we went, seems they sell out pretty fast.

Mooneys had only a display copy of the l;atest issue as they too were all gone and now, so too, is their display copy gone. ;)

I'm not home until the weekend so the pics will be later.

However, what I can do is say WOW! what a show and what a great bunch of folks are the Mooneys team.

Don't think I've ever seen such a vast variation in vehicle types all under one roof and not one person complaining that anything in the show didn't belong. I think there's a great lesson to be learned from our Japanese brothers right there.

21. Y'know what was really kool? Seeing a row of Deuces all with a big 32 on the plates, courtesy of how the local system works, where the small print on the plate gives the detail and allowing that the big numbers can be duplicated across many vehicles.

22. It was incredible standing in line at 8:00 on Sunday morning with what seemed like a million other people, most of whom spoke a different language, knowing that we were all there for the same reason. In that line I got to chat with folks from Japan, Canada, USA, Sweden, Norway, Australia, some place called Queensland ;D and a couple other countries I've never heard of.

23. Hey Nori, you may have been influenced by USA, but you guys have taken it to a whole other level.

Like who would ever have thought to put '59 Chevy tailamps on a '64 Dodge Dart and make it work like they grew there?

Or who would say "I can do extraordinary kustom body and paint" then spend the next four plus years peeling every bit of sheet metal off a '59 Chevy bubble top, embossing it by hand with an incredible pattern and then putting the whole lot back together with every last ripple and bump perfectly aligned. Man that car is unbefrigginleivable!