Register now to get rid of these ads!

The "Uncertain T"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chaz, May 24, 2005.

1. dogpatch customs

dogpatch customs
    from ohio

i too have loved the U/T since i was a lower case g. haha.

so i was really surprized when steve showed up on live chat right after i sent friend request. i learned he doesnt want to much attention due to all the drama involved in the car, and with his time schedule of trying, like most of us to make a living, he doesnt have the time to keep up with alot of the questions. so i was really impressed when i got the chance to chat for a bit.

he did start a story of the build, and promises to keep it going. He is also working on the website and will tell the story, with pics, as he see's fit. i for one am interested in the read.

as for all the people worried about putting your info "out there" your kidding youself if you think its not already. anybody can find anything they want on anyone, j.m.h.o.

thanks Steve for taking the time to share this.

George.

dogpatch customs

2. Fjant

Fjant
    from Sweden

3. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I agree about us not exactly giving Steve the warmest reception on here. Let's face it, he is not obligated in any way to provide us with any information on the car, if he does it will be simply because he feels like doing us that favor.

Everyone is entitled to their privacy and their own reasons for wanting it. This car was part of Steve's life 50 years ago and he has moved on and someone else owns it now. Any information he posts for us is a gift, not something he owes us.

This whole thing sort of reminds me of Chris Farley interviewing Paul McCartney. "Remember when you were in the Beatles ? " :D

Don

4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I think we all appreciate what Steve is doing and has done. Like all gearheads we hunger for more.

I'm sure we can all thank Steve for coming on and encourage him to continue his story.

When he gets his website together it will be great, especially if the present situation of the car can be revealed.

It would be nice to see it restored to it's former state and out there again.

A very nice part of our history.

5. Steve go to my face book page? --:) I have something for you.

6. skywolf

skywolf

For those of you who don't have a Facebook account here are some great shots of the Uncertain T at the 1965 Bakersfield Fuel & Gas Championships. These photos are courtesy of Sherm Porter who shared them in his photo albums.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Michael (@skywolf) - Great find! ... Thanks for posting here!

Sherm (@fuely32) - Wow! ... Very cool photos of the Uncertain T! ... On a side note: I was checking out all of the pics in your 1964 Fuel & Gas Championships, 1965 Fuel & Gas Championships, 1968 Fuel & Gas Championships, Vintage San Luis Obispo & Santa Maria Drags, and Timeline Photos facebook albums ... Simply awesome! ... Please consider starting a few threads here on the H.A.M.B. for all to enjoy!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  8. Its funny you either like it or hate it! Neat story n car n i love it!

9. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I like the bronzish colored version the best of all of them. Those two pictures above are how I remember the car.

Don

10. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

11. Sherm Porter is a life long friend, and a San Luis Roadster,--:) he put the photos on my facebook page. Look like you got to it. heehee

12. customcory

customcory

Are these pics taken the same day as when Garlits got to take a ride in it after winning?

13. Hi Poncho,

Sorry for not emailing you, and all the others who requested to be on my mailing list for when I set up a website. A few months ago my laptop STOPPED WORKING, and I... and all the king's men... couldn't get it working again! :( I had to buy a new laptop and start all over. I bought a USB to SATA hard drive adapter and have been able to copy all "data" from the hard drives, but thanks to Mozilla, all data in Thunderbird (emails and email addresses) is stored in a cryptic format. I've searched and searched, and I still haven't found a method for recovering/resurrecting any of it... that actually works. The only provisions they made, is for you to Export the files from a WORKING computer. I'm still working on this, and hope to find a way someday, hopefully sooner than later.

While just scanning this thread for dates to help me rebuild the Timeline for the "T", I read this post, and am hereby inviting you to send me a Friend Request on the Facebook site. I'll confirm it immediately.

Again... sorry for the delay!

All The Best!

Steve

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  14. Hi Bobbykid's32. Please either you and/or Sherm post these on the "T" Facebook site so I can give you and him proper credit. I've NEVER seen these before, and almost all of my memorabilia, photos, info, etc. have "disappeared" over the years, beginning with a lot of it being stolen from my mom's garage when I was away on Coast Guard Reserve active duty boot camp for 6 months.

A very BIG THANKS!

Steve

15. That was the only day that the "T" and I were at Bakersfield Drag Strip, so it's a BIG "YES"!

To me... this is a big "find"!

16. Hi Don! It was MY favorite color, too. I wanted it to stay that color forever.

I still don't remember it being the metalflake goldish green. Hopefully it will come back to me.

17. abone1930

abone1930

Once he accepts you on Facebook he has some cool write ups on how he did the body being so young, real nice guy, great picks on Facebook too, I was accepted, seems legit to me and even answered some inquiries about the injected nailhead. I would like to see a pick of the car in hidding though :)

18. Ah... that's what I get for reading forum posts backwards. I'll go look.

Thanks!

Steve

19. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

What kind of front axle is that, Steve, it looks like a Ford V8 60, kinda?

20. I don't remember who made it, but I started with a standard hot rodding accessory, a 6" dropped tube axle, added a lot of metal to the ends; did A LOT of shaping with a body grinder and hand files, then finer and finer sandpaper, and A LOT of good ol' elbow grease! :)

When it looked like I wanted, I then removed the original tie rod tabs, drilled holes and inserted steel rods for the permanent tie rods, then bent and shaped them and added aircraft swivel ends to attach them to solid aluminum round stock that I drilled the frame for, inserted, welded them in place, then drilled and tapped them.

21. Hi Fjant,

Thanks VERY much for these links. Yes, you're very right. It's an amazing car. I really like seeing cars that were inspired by my "Uncertain-T". It's very flattering to me :)

Steve

22. customcory

customcory

Thats what i wanted to know. Steve , only one question, was Garlits car beside your car at any time then? I was wanting to create some art around this subject, and I am getting closer all the time , just collecting bits and pieces of info to get a image in my mind. These pics helped a lot!:D

23. HI Steve, I just email Sherm,so he can do it for you!!!:) Steve go to my web, and get my e-mail. Send me your email, --AND I WILL SEND IT TO Sherm!! he will tell you the story on the photos?

IT'S DONE!!!!!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  24. Hot Rod T-Shirt, Apparel and Merchandise Artists WANTED!

In addition to licensing "The Uncertain-T" for t-shirts and other apparel and products, I've been looking and looking and looking (okay... that's enough... we get it) for artists whose work appeals to me for me to sell t-shirts, apparel and other merchandise directly to fans.

Hey... that's backwards. Instead of me looking for someone, th
    en checking with those whose work I like, and hoping that that they'd be interested in designing something for me, and at a price that I can afford; I'm hereby sending out a call for any and all artists who do illustrations for t-shirts, apparel and merchandise... who also like "The Uncertain-T"... to please contact me and show me their work, especially if they have concepts for what they'd like to do with the "T".

Please contact me at: [email protected]

THANKS!

25. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Steve,great idea! Every Friday here on the HAMB is an art show loaded with talented folks.That's a good place you may want to repost your request.
    Any chance of redoing the model kit?? That would be killer!
    Perhaps contact Round2 Models about that idea.

http://round2models.com

Regard's,Myron_

26. maybe a friday day art show on the UT????????????

27. Hi Myron,

Thanks, I'll try to remember. I don't have much time now that the Facebook site has been up 1 full month TODAY!

Thanks also about Round 2. I've checked them and most others out pretty thoroughly. I'm really not interested in having someone else do it, and only get royalties, and always wonder what they're really selling, and doing, etc. I didn't have a very good experience with Monogram. I'm seriously looking into doing it myself... I hope... I hope... I hope!

28. Careful meatball... everyone will think you're working for me! LOL!

Even so, that would be awesome!

Thanks!

Steve

29. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

What on earth could have influenced this old Topper toy??
    Guess you could say I'm a fan of the uT!
    I've got more weird related stuff I'll have to dig for and post later
    Myron_

[​IMG]

30. C'mon Myron. Everybody knows the famous "Uncertain-Toy" when they see it, don't they?

Thanks VERY much for this. I've never seen it. I'm going to add it to my Facebook site right now. Such a "find"... not as good as a "barn find"... but an excellent "toy box find"! LOL!