Register now to get rid of these ads!

What the heck is a whistle test?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by motion corvette, Nov 26, 2012.

1. motion corvette

motion corvette
    from CT

Ok maybe I am to young to have heard this term used before? Has anyone ever heard this term to diagnose an engine?

2. I've never heard that term before. I'm guessing it has something to do with vacuum? Enlighten us, if you know.

3. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think if the car's right you get away with whistling at women. Just a guess...

4. motion corvette

motion corvette
    from CT

Guy at work was talking about a car he built and mentioned he had done this. Trying to figure out what the guy is talking about. I have not a clue what the test would be for.

5. Zerk

Zerk

Heard of a whistle used to find TDC. Not that popular and I'd guess not real precise.

6. The only thing that comes when I whistle is the dog:mad:

Maybe this
    COMPRESSION COMPARISON

How does a cylinder leakage test differ from a conventional compression test? Instead of checking how well each cylinder pumps air, a cylinder-leakage test checks each cylinder's ability to hold air.

The sequence for cylinder leakage is testing is virtually the same for all engines. The engine should be warmed up first because a cold engine allows more blow-by gases than a hot one.

Remove the air cleaner and prop the throttle open. This makes it easier for you to hear if air is leaking into the intake manifold.Remove the oil-filler cap, pull the PCV valve out of its grommet (if equipped) and let it hang off to the side. Relocating the valve prevents air that may leak into the crankcase from traveling back into the intake manifold, which could mislead you into thinking the engine has a bad intake valve.Using extreme care, release the pressure from the radiator by slightly loosening the cap, then remove it and top off the radiator with coolant. Removing the cap lets you see if any bubbles rise during the leakage test, a sign that air is leaking into the cooling system.Remove the spark plug from the cylinder to be tested. It's up to you to pull as many plugs as you want to.Disable the ignition system by disconnecting and grounding the coil wire. On engines with distributorless ignition, disconnect the ignition coil primary supply to the coil pack.Turn the engine over (manually or with the starter and ignition disabled) until the piston in the cylinder to be tested is at top dead center on its compression stroke. The piston must be at TDC for three reasons: a) so the valves are closed, b) to position the rings at the most worn part of the cylinder, and c) to prevent the piston from being shoved back down by the compressed air.There are a number of ways to find TDC, but the easiest way that works for all cylinders and engines is to use the engine's ability to pump air. Thread the adaptor hose into the cylinder you're going to test and connect a whistle to the end of the adapter. If you don't have a whistle handy, hold your thumb over the adapter's end. Turn the engine over (bumping the starter with a remote switch works nicely) just until you hear the whistle start to blow or air come out of the end of the adapter. Slowly turn the engine to the point where the whistle (or air) just stops. This is TDC. You may have to try this trick a few times to get the hang of it, but it saves a lot of time compared to figuring out TDC by degrees.Connect the leakage tester to your shop's air supply. Follow the equipment maker's recommendations for maximum inlet air pressure. Then, zero the gauge with the adjustment knob.Connect the tester's outlet hose to the adapter and read the leakage on the gauge. If the crankshaft turns when you feed compressed air into the cylinder, reposition it back to TDC and prevent the crank from turning by holding it with a wrench. Leaving the other spark plugs in place will lessen the odds of this happening.
    REASONING WITH READINGS

7. motion corvette

motion corvette
    from CT

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

yup.

9. metal man

metal man

Why not ask him?

10. Why don't you just asking the guy using the term?

~Alden

Ha! Posted at the same time as Metal man!

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  11. motion corvette

motion corvette
    from CT

I am thinking he made it up? Maybe fun to ask though?

12. hoggyrubber

hoggyrubber

maybe he was talking about the old grey whislte test.:D

13. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Dim memory here, but wasn't one of the early methods used by NHRA to try to determine displacement without a teardown called the whistle test??

14. Dick's Beaters

Dick's Beaters

Used to tell the FNGs to check out aircraft engines with the echo test. They would yell "echo" into the engine intake and another would listen to the exhaust for the "echo." If they raised the B.S. flag, they were good to go, if they were yelling at an engine, everyone would have a laugh and then they'd be let in on the joke. Not as mean as sheetmetal guys handing their cherries a quarter and sending them out to find "hollow" rivits.

If the test involves you whistleing in any way shape or form, it's B.S.

15. motion corvette

motion corvette
    from CT

Ah, like a lefthanded screwdriver, a bucket of purple steam and a pocket Bridgeport machine?

16. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

^^^^^ this

17. and a gallon of prop wash and 50' of flight line.

18. motion corvette

motion corvette
    from CT

Thank you!! The guy did run cars waaay back in his day...

19. uneasyrider

uneasyrider

Oh! Where I work I think that would be a "Take cover" alarm. :D I guess I'm on the wrong topic. lol

20. motion corvette

motion corvette
    from CT

Thanks!

21. snaptwo

snaptwo

I believe the "whistle" test only involves engines with either a dispop convertor or a left handed homosonard valve. I was racing when NHRA decided to use the P&G CID tester, guys were drilling teeny holes in the header tubes and proping the exhaust valve off its seat using a piece of broomstraw. Just confused the heck out of the techs. When asked about the teeny holes , we used the excuse of checking the flame color in the exhaust.

22. Hotrod95

Hotrod95

It's basically sayin, if your motor whistle will call girls like when you whistle for a dog

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

23. raengines

raengines
    from pa.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  24. Normbc9

Normbc9

I am a fireman and the primers on our Centrifugal fire pumps has a "Whistle Valve" as a part of the assembly. These primers are driven by an 8 volt starter motor receiving 12 volts. They reduce the vacuum in the hard rubber "Suction Hose." We have a gauge on the pump operators panel that reads Vacuum and when it dips into the negative readings we know we have primed the fire pump with water. I have a Fairbanks Morse single jack motor powering a pump on our ranch. It too has a "Whistle Valve." Could this be what you were thinking about?
    Normbc9

25. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

From the manufacturers info on the link

..."Enter the number of cylinders, CID, and temperature of the engine...

I'd sure like someone to explain what the number of cylinders has to do with compression ratio.

26. firingorder1

firingorder1

Used enjoy that show when I was in Ireland. Miss old buck tooth.

27. sickboi55

sickboi55

you use an I.D.10T form

28. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Isn't listening to multi Carbs in the throat with a tube and making them the same (to the ear) is method of sync'g them?

29. raengines

raengines
    from pa.

the computer has to know the volume of one cylinder and since you enter the engine displacment, it needs to know what to devide it by to get just one. it is a very accurate insturment, I use one on all my builds. accurate compresson ratio includes the area between the piston and cylinder wall down to the top ring and also behind the top ring, lots of calculations (nitpicking) also gets you just a little more hp.
    let the shitstorm begin now