Register now to get rid of these ads!

700 R4 transmission torque converter questions?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jay Tyrrell, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Hi,
    I am looking to change the worn out 350 auto transmission in the 38 chevy and I am looking at installing a 700R4 transmission. I want the car to be very streetable most of the time, however I do want it to perform once in a while from light to light. What is the best Torque converter for me to run.
    Thanks
    Jay

2. jfortvalley

jfortvalley
    from GA

well you have to start off with the some of the engine build specifics and the weight of the car here at my shop i have accounts with PTC,J&W, and BTE just pick a good company there are a few of them not b&m theres are junk

3. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Motor is a 350 small block chevy 9:1 motor with a mid cam 2000-4500 rpm. Summit 600cfm carb The weight of the car? No real idea here? hmmmm?
    Jay

4. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

This looks pretty good! What is the stall of this converter?
    Jay

5. 68vette

68vette

I am getting ready to build a 700R for my 49 fleetline behind my 283....it will not have a lock up converter....trans man says it works good.

I will lose the last 2-300 rpm but I have a 3.42 rear and I like the fact I will have NO lock up and lower 4th gear.

Anyone say its not good...

6. Why would you not want lock-up?

7. Hughes' part number is their stall speed. In this case it's 2200-2500 rpm.

It is important to have lock-up when ever you can. Heat is a GM overdrive's worst enemy and a GM overdrive's fluid temperature runs high when not in lock-up. Therefore having lock-up is an important function to have for a 700's longevity.

Now I'm sure there will be the naysayers but those folks are only pushing their luck and fooling themselves. ;)

8. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

I've got a 2300 stall converter and this works well

9. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

What type of converter are you running?
    Jay

10. ive got a custom made 3000 stall and im not happy with it.feels like it never locks up wither. ive ran a 2500 before and it was a lot better but had to go with high stall with a big cam.

11. What year is this 700R4 ?

12. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

Don't know - I brought the trans from the guy that built my engine. He said it was a 2300 stall converter from a Monte Carlo. The trans is 1990ish

Martyn

13. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

Taking a guess your car would be around 3000 - 3500 lbs

14. swanwaco32

swanwaco32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

NEED TO USE LOCKUP!!!!! Most heat is generated from the slipping of the torque converter! I found out the hard way. You can put a simple toggle switch to turn the lock up off or on when desired. Check out Bowtie overdrive web site and read all about the pro,s and con,s. JS

15. Although I wouldn't trust any of Bowtie Overdrive's trannys, their website's info is helpfull.

16. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

They have a lot of info there..... but it leads to needing there parts.

I have a Howell vacuum lock up kit, an adapter bracket for an Edelbrock carb and the measurements from TV cable to linkage.

The trans runs a dedicated cooler and works fine locking up around 38-40 mph.

17. goodturn

goodturn

I currently run a 700R in a 3400 pound car with a 450 HP 383 and it has a 3800 stall FTI converter with lock up on a toggle switch. For strictly street use, I would go with a stock GM 2200 Corvette stall converter with a full lock up. I've run the current combination for 12,000 trouble free miles including HOT ROD Magazine's 2010 Drag Week. The toggle switch is a bit of a pain when not out on the highway, or on the drag strip.

18. ^ ^ ^ ? ? ? :confused:

19. American Pie

American Pie
    from Lemont IL

Midwest converter located in Rockford IL does thousands of converters for the automotive industry, in addition to their racing applications.

I have used thier converters in my Gasser with no problems since 2004, and they are very responsive when you need help.

Any converter company will need your engine and rear axel specs. Horse power and torque specs are good if you have them. Cam profile and induction are all a part of the equation. They were able to hit the stall I requested right on the money.

Contact Fred and tell him that Dave with the American Pie `37 Chevy Gasser sent you.

http://raceconverters.com/

20. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Not sure??? 90s for sure!

21. Drive Em

Drive Em

Yes lock up is a must, we burnt one up last year without the lock up converter. We installed a hydraulic kit that does away with all the electronics and locks up the converter with line pressure at about 45 mph.

22. Well as long as it's a newer one. The newer ones have the 30 spline input shaft whereas the early 700R4's (pre '87) had a 27 spline input shaft that doesn't hold up to squat.

23. Are you talking about a 700R4 or a 4L60e?

24. Drive Em

Drive Em

700r4.

25. 68vette

68vette

No lock up 700R

I checked with the tech folks that make converters in Ohio, I think it was CVC torque converters....they said to get a Trans-go 7-CCV valve and they said to remove O ring on end of input shaft and twist out the ball....

That would let the fluid in the converter circulate I think they said...

Anyway, they said I should not have any problems with heat build up if using the trans-go part and doing what they said.

I live in the mountains of NC and we have lots of hills...I want to use OD without the trans locking/unlocking.....locking/unlocking.

26. Special Ed

Special Ed

Really? Why ? I've had one of their transmissions in my '55 for around 15 trouble-free years. They've built thousands of the 700r4 transmissions, and that's ALL that they build and work on .... :cool:

27. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

With that cam I would run a dead stock 700r4 converter with lockup, no need for anything more with a street car. For street cars I normally dont even go to a 2500 stall unless I am running a cam that will not idle with the stock converter. The less slip the better for a driver IMO and why spend big bucks for nothing.

28. drptop70ss

That's A Very Good Point. Glad That Someone Has The Same Point Of View That I Have.

29. 68vette

68vette

My thinking is this....if a turbo 350 or 400 has NO lock up converter and they have a very good long life span even when abused, why would a 700R not be as dependable....is the metal different....does it have different fluid....

What about the old olds 4 speed hydramatics....no lock up there.

My 51 ford I had with 305/ turbo 350 ( no lock up) with 2.79 rear gear got 25.4 MPG running 70 mph....I figure this fleetline with 283/700R ( no lock up) with 3.42 gear will break 30MPG....besides....8 years I had the 51 on the road, it had 8,000 miles on it.

Just saying....