Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 53' Cadillac engine swap. Out with the old, in with the....old.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRodToomer, Jun 13, 2012.

1. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Nope, see nothing wrong...it looks correct...

R-

Here's a shot of my bro's 331" in his '54 Caddy...before we pulled it and overhauled it...it's as close as I could get to a pic similar to yours...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  2. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

Excellent! Yeah, I had a temporary memory relapse. Hell, I forgot how everything hooked up on the fuel pump too. I have to settle all the vac ports now, I have WAY more then I need.

3. NICE! ...just a heads up, make sure to get all the adaptor brakets needed on the Edelbrock carb to run the TV cabel from the 700r4. :)

4. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

Oh you best believe I have everything looked up, carb stud, cable housing locator bracket, trans lock-up kit, ect...
    The last thing I want is to take her out of there again! haha

5. carlitos way

carlitos way
    BANNED

good work.i'm thinking of doing the same thing on my 53 caddy.i just dont like they way the trans shifts and want the caddy engine
    look

6. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

Last night was almost the golden moment. Got off work early and dashed home trying to get the engine in. I'm running out of time before I'm storing it for the winter. Well, didn't get to install it, but at least the two are hooked together for the first time.

[​IMG]

Almost there, just gotta keep going on it.

7. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

[​IMG]

It is done!

The picture of it in the car was corrupt, ill snap another later.
    The engine & trans went in smooth as glass.
    Only snags are the 57' Oil pan rubs on the front of the sump, it will get notched,
    The headers came in, Passenger side is a perfect fit to a T, the drivers, well it might need to have the back tube messed with a tny bit.

But, im just happy the thing is in there & safe.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  8. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

[​IMG]

Hell yes.
    So update on things, nothing can be perfect.
    Oil pan is getting notched, the 57' pan is a little bigger then the 53' and hit on the cross steer.
    The headers fit like a glove, a bit tight on the drivers side, but im happy with it.
    Starting to figure all the fit of everything, should be looking like an propper engine again soon.

Im estatic over the whole thing.

9. CadillacCasey

CadillacCasey
    from Marion, MS

What headers did you use? I didn't realize that an edelbrock would bolt straight to a 1957 intake manifold. Anyway, thanks for sharing. Great job. I can't wait to see more and hear how well everything worked.

10. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi HRT.That`s lookin` good.Rode in many of the old Caddys when growing up.Sueeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetttttttttt ride.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

11. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

Sanderson makes a block hugger pair for the 390/429, the drivers side was the most important. The exit spot was lined up with the original 53' routing, so that was excellent. On the carb, yeah we did it in my dads 65' and the only problem was it needed a spacer. Some reason the butterfly hit the bore. But, it fits nice.

12. carlitos way

carlitos way
    BANNED

nice work,i'd like to do the same to my 53 just don't like the way the tranny shifts

13. 48reo

48reo

I recently acquired a 53 caddy with no engine...and had to say this thread is inspiring. thanks and keep up the good work!

14. classiccarlover

classiccarlover

Hi hot rod toomer. I almost bought a 58 365 engine from a fellow hamber called ryno out of missouri but instead I ended up buying 1 1/2 57 buicks. Hey toomer who do you know in the michigan area that works on nailheads? Seems I remember flint having a machine shop but Iam not sure what theyre name is. I know centerville auto repair in cali works on them. thanks ccl

15. classiccarlover

classiccarlover

Oh and ya. Iam really wishing I had bought a caddy project after seeing yours. Looks awesome man. Man; i wish i had looked harder for a caddy project.

16. classiccarlover

classiccarlover

Hi hot rod toomer. I almost bought a 58 365 engine from a fellow hamber called ryno out of missouri but instead I ended up buying 1 1/2 57 buicks. Hey toomer who do you know in the michigan area that works on nailheads? Seems I remember flint having a machine shop but Iam not sure what theyre name is. I know centerville auto repair in cali works on them. thanks ccl

17. Gee whiz Toomer! That Caddy is great. What a beauty of an engine. One day I hope to pick up a mill like that for another project. Been trying to get the details on using a T5 or T56 with one.
    Keep the pics coming!!

18. martin

martin

Top job mate, Caddy in a Caddy, I have a 56, and would like to run a Edelbrock on it. could you give me the part # of yours. That would help me out a heap. I also run a 55 331, in my 29 Dodge coupe.
    Good work, Thanks mate, Martin.

19. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

ET Automotive in Bridgeport. Talk to Terry. Tell him Pete From Randy Wise sent ya....

20. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

Glad to see that this work has gotten on a few people's good graces.
    Thank you all!

Works been a bit slowed, the snow has made the progress suck, plus works been taking a lot of time away from it. But i'm not stopping on it.
    Oh no, not yet.

The pan is the next choice I have to make, notch it again or just leave the flange & have a new one welded together from there down. Either way the little bastards going to fit in there no matter what.
    The crossmember for the trans is mesured & will be made shortly. only about 2" wider then the Hydromatic's.

Time will tell!

21. scotts52

scotts52

Really enjoying this thread as I have a 53 Sedan as well.

22. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

Not a fan of Michigan weather, mainly due to lack of a garage.
    (I know some on here do great work in less, I just don't like it.)

As soon as the weather breaks I have all the stuff gathered up, Modified windage tray, got a 53' oil pan from French Lake Auto, (great yard out in Annandale, MN, very professional)

So as soon as the pan is fitted and I'm not rubbing on the cross shaft anymore...

+Engine gets buttoned up
    +Transmission cross-member gets welded & bolted in
    +Drive-shaft made
    +Re-wire the car
    +One 10" brake line to be remade

Turn that key, and listen to it fire.
    Almost there, I want my damn car back on the road now. Can't stand seeing it sit anymore.

23. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Without a garage?

Bravo, sir, bravo!!!!

24. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

You know how to get a hold of me when it's time.....

25. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

Nads, Yeah, We only have a single car garage that barely fits pop's 56' Chevy. His house, his car resides. So thank you sir, thank you!
    Indeed Pete, There are many bits left that will require assistance.

26. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

Its been a good day.
    Got off work early and jetset home. Got the engine up in the air and the wrong pan off.

[​IMG]

The pan i got from French Lake Auto just needed a brake clean shower & some roloc pad action. came out smooth and only a few dings.
    (Before cleaned & painted)

[​IMG]

This shows how screwed from the start I was, the 57' pan was just too big. The nothch didnt even clear it! But the 53' pan was actually MADE for the car, so go figure. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After getting it painted & dried, slapping some RTV on it and getting the gaskets on the block, pops & I lowered it in, surprisingly without even hitting the pan on the cross steer. Jacked the transmission into place and TADA!

ITS IN! REALLY THIS TIME! I DONT HAVE TO TAKE IT ON FOR TIME NUMBER 5!!!

[​IMG]

Now, just Re-wire, put the trans crossmember in, driveshaft, exhuast & I'm back to smilin' & drivin'.

Happy camper is me.

27. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Using an Edelbrock carb you may want to check your fuel pressure. Edelbrocks like 5.5 lbs of pressure. My stock Chevy pump put out 8 lbs so I had to install a regulator. Edelbrocks also seem to be prone to heat sink and require an isolator plate under the carb. My '52 Chevy started fine when cold, but acted like it was flooded after a drive. It took awhile to re-start and I was afraid of killing the battery and getting stranded. Doing a search on the HAMB, I did the above recommendations and she starts perfect every time now. Love the build........Good luck.

28. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

Noted, I have a very nice regulator in the garage, now i get to use it.

Thank you very much!

29. HoldFast

HoldFast

Nice ride. I have a 53 sedan. Has the original but refreshed 331 back in it. Not quite back on the road yet. Close.

I'm going to have to repaint a few things once it's in. Got stranded outside in a pretty good rain storm with no hood on.

I went with the O.G. Caddy blue on my block though.

30. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

Spent the daylight when I got home from work on a few things.

+Ran the studs that were needed on four of the header bolts in. Notched the flange bolt holes to slide over them.
    +Broke out the ballpeen and dimpled the headers front tubes, I clear the A-arms by just over a 1/4" now, might hit with engine tourqe, but I care not even a bit.
    +Coil mounted, exciting I know.

I have 95% of whats needed to finish it, The goal for Saturday is to get a test fire out of it. I'd rather that part be done then let it sit unfired longer. Maybe, maybe not.
    I hope more of maybe.