Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Ron Courtney X51 Ford over at Sacramento Vintage

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldmankohout, Jun 15, 2012.

1. oldmankohout

oldmankohout

We just moved the X51 into the showroom for you to check out when you are in the area. We should have it on display through August 2012.

From Hot Rod Magazine Top 100 list:

Hot Rod Magazine:
    When this red, sectioned, large-finned ex-shoebox Ford hit small-magazine covers in 1958, people thought it might be the new T-bird. That's just what self-taught designer/builder Courtney wanted. Eschewing custom trends and working alone at home, he redesigned his boxy '51 Ford into a style that still works (and exists) today.-Pat Ganahl

Street Rodder Magazine:
    The X-51 was originally built by Ron Courtney in the late ’50s, and has been one of the most famous customs ever since. It’s great to see the ’51 Ford still drawing attention. Blackie Gejeian, equally as famous, brought the car to Pomona in 2011.

Read more: http://www.streetrodderweb.com/even...specialty_parking/photo_04.html#ixzz1xuJLXS5L

Read more: http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/hrdp_0801_top_100_hot_rods/photo_08.html#ixzz1xuGxXB9l

One of only 3 cars that have been DRIVEN into our showroom. Darold had the privilege to drive the X51 in. Those Olds 'Flippers' are mint!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  2. James Boys

James Boys
    from London ONT

3. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I took these shots out in front of my shop back in the mid-80's, when John Corno owned it for the second time, he brought it to me to do some minor changes (lower the seat) and other repairs. It was built about 30 miles from me, it has always been my favorite custom! It had the Ford engine in it at that time.

Attached Files:

4. Orange Crate

Orange Crate

One of my FAVORITE KUSTOMS!!! Long live FINS!!

5. oldmankohout

oldmankohout

Yep, those fins hood mods and others are ol skool LEAD Work! The hood alone hood is quite heavy.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've been lucky enough to see the car a couple of times over the years and photos just don't do it justice. That is one beautiful car when you stand and look at it in person.

7. I remember seeing this in Rod Action back in the 70's...I think it was on t he cover...

8. houseofhotrods

houseofhotrods

The car was customized in the body shop at the dealership I manage here in McMinnville, Oregon. Being that it was a daily driver, he drove it as he worked on it - would have been cool to see it go home one day with one fin!! Rumor has it the fins were made from a Pepsi or Coke sign.... :)

9. X51Girl

X51Girl
    from Oregon

I just wanted to say thanks for posting the photos, it's great to see the car again after such a long time. Do you know where it is now? I try to keep tabs on it, just in case I ever have the chance to buy it and bring it home.

10. kennkat

kennkat

Introduce yourself on the proper page FIRST... Then after we all get to know a little about your car tastes, we can "talk"....:Dplease:D

11. Absolutely,positivity my favorite custom car,hands down! HRP

12. kennkat

kennkat

To ALL at SAC Vintage, THANK YOU for the opportunity to see it up close, a few times!!

13. kennkat

kennkat

From my most recent visit....:):):)

Attached Files:

14. kennkat

kennkat

:) OH MAN, ain't that the TRUTH!!! :):):)

15. Tuff Tin

Tuff Tin

Bob Page brought the X-51 to my Sisters, Oregon run in 1990. He was from Elk Grove, CA
    Mike

16. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

you should first read the rules for posting here, and do an introduction. if you read this thread you could likely find the info you are looking for, except a price to buy it.

17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

intro police are killin' me.

first time I saw that was in Rod Action, always thought it was very cool. could be the coolest shoe box of all time.

18. oldmankohout

oldmankohout

It's still here at Sacramento Vintage until February then it heads for the Petersen in LA for their Cars and Fins exhibit. It is for sale.

19. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

A wonderful custom

20. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

I cant possibly afford it,but what is the asking price?,im sure it is on the tip of everyones tounge too. Harvey

21. Tuff Tin

Tuff Tin

22. flathead okie

flathead okie

One of the ugliest custom-built cars ever. Looks like they tried to make a Studebaker Hawk out of a Ford.

24. Da Flash

Da Flash

Back in the 70s I got a call from John Corno saying he had bought an old custom and would I meet him at a mans garage to take some photos. I did and found out it was the Courtney car. He had it restored along with a stocker and we photographed them together for a magazine feature. He also showed the two cars together which really showed off the differences.
    Da Flash

25. When it was for sale back in July 1980...

Attached Files:

26. I've seen it in person a few times.every time I think maybe it will grow on me.it never seems to tho :/

27. gaston

gaston

I worked with Ron in the early 70's in Mcminnvile. at that time he had turned his attention from cars to sail boats, and had built his own boat from scratchin his back yard and had sailed to the south seas islands and back! I always loved Rons "no problem" attitude. he just looked at a problem and did it. last I've seen of him is an article on his pod bike http://www.bendbulletin.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110115/NEWS0107/101150342/1001/NEWS01 I hope he's still with us, loved his "studder"

28. X51Girl

X51Girl
    from Oregon

He's still with us, he'll be turning 80 early next year. He would love it if any of you want to swing by and say hello to him, he's still keeping himself busy in McMinnville.

29. 2racer

2racer

x2....