Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Searching for 1948 Tucker photos

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tucker Fan 48, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see the dial face and casing shape are different

Attached Files:

2. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

Not me. Are you thinking of the guy that was building one under a tree?

3. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

From several people at that auction, they saw no one bidding. It seemed like there may have been a flock of birds passing by that held up their claw a time or two but whoever bid it up to 1.5 million was invisible.

Of course Justin does not own it anymore.

4. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Yes, he's the one. :D I thought he was located in Hawaii, but that may have been a bad WAG on my part. Do you happen to know if he continued the project? :confused: Since REAL Tuckers are so few, I'm all for anybody doing tribute cars, 'glas or steel.

5. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

IIRC, he started with a 50 Dodge(?) and was located in Los Angeles, but was moving-possibly inland to the high desert area.

6. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

That's the HAMB! All ya have to di is ASK! THANKS!

7. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

He moved last year and had to take it apart to move it. I'll send him a note and see if he is working on it again.

8. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Thanks, man! It sounded as though he didn't have a huge bank account, so I respected his efforts. It would be nice to know if he's been able to keep it moving forward.

(BTW, since it was a '50 Dodge, I'm guessing he had to drop the top a bit? And go without suicide doors?)

9. Ron IDA builds some nice hot rod Tuckers.....

Attached Files:

10. That's probably the only way I'd remotely be able to ever afford a Tucker, is one of Ida's cars. Very freaking nice!

11. Ive never cared for the Tucker cars, but the Tucker story is fascinating. I finally read through this whole thread beginning to end (whew that took awhile lol).

I was recently going through some pretty old car magazines and saw an ad in the back of one that was selling Preston Tuckers personal Tucker, after reading through this thread it seems this may have been "exaggerated"

Thanks for all the info ... its a very good read!

12. One of my last conversations with my Grandfather who just passed over a month ago was about Tucker cars.He really loved em and he was telling me about the buzz that they created back in the time when these cars were coming out.He remembered and said for a while the Tuckers were all the talk.

Just want to thank all the people who have made this thread and educated all of us on these great cars.

13. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

Preston Tucker did own two of his Tuckers, #1029 and #1031. The ad that you saw was most likely for #1030. One of the former owners of #1030 added some extra emblems on the car. As it passed from owner to owner an urban legend started that #1030 was Preston Tuckers personal car and that Preston added the emblems. None of this is true. Tucker #1030 was sold at the plant auction in October of 1950. It had no extra emblems at that time. Tucker #1030 is now owned by the Petersen Museum. For many years they had a sign on the car stating it was Preston's car but it has since been removed.

Both #1029 and #1031 are in private collections in the LA area. Tucker #1031 is still fairly original. There was a great article about the car in the fall issue of Garage Style magazine. Tucker #1031 is on the cover.

14. mrjynx

mrjynx
    BANNED

considering hes only building 51 of em Id bet theyre gonna cost as much as a new house.

but with more floating round, maybe someone can take some measurements off one of the replicas.

Surprising not more people have built replicas. even just modding studebakers.

15. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

How would Ida have built the bumpers,trim,etc?

16. mrjynx

mrjynx
    BANNED

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  17. db300

db300

That lowered NASCAR Tucker looks so sweet!

18. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

I didn't take a picture of it, but I saw one in the Minneapolis area in about 1980. It was at a local car show, so I assumed that it was locally owned. it was tan and had old, flaking paint.

19. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

That would have been Tucker #1011 in early 1987. The car was up for sale at that time. It sold in June of 1987 to its present owner.

The tan paint was the original paint. The car has only 677 actual miles.

20. 1wrench

1wrench
    from Michigan

There is a real '48 Tucker Torpedo at the Auburn Cord Dusenburg museum in Auburn Indiana. This should be one every car guys heroes

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

21. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

Tucker #1047 was on loan to the ACD Museum last year. Not sure if it is still there. One of the movie replicas was there in June of this year.

22. shane85

shane85

23. LOWBLAZERO1

LOWBLAZERO1

i saw this in another thread about rare cars seen in junkyards, and thought that you might be able to shed some light on which tucker this may have been. and it's ultimate fate, thANKS!

24. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

I always hate to say something is not possible so lets say this was unlikely. By 1980 all the Tuckers had been located. Only one was ever in a junkyard but it was never parted out. The owner held on to it for nearly 20 years knowing it had value. The car has its original front brakes. I've seen it myself. Now it turns out this car was less than 50 miles from Luck WI so maybe the poster is just confused about the location.

Also, Kinmont was the disc brake that Preston Tucker wanted to use on his automobiles. However development never got to the point where a set was actually installed on any of the fifty Tuckers.

I'd be curious as to what color this Tucker in Luck was. I've got a map of every owner of every Tucker going back to 1948 and I just don't see any car that could have been there. I can say I've heard about 500 Tucker in a junkyard stories over the years.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  25. Did you ever find out about the Oklahoma-registered Tucker featured earlier in this thread?

26. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

Not yet. I keep hoping to find someone in the Tulsa area that is willing to do a little research on it. Someone in the area will remember seeing the car.

27. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Very interesting!
    Does anyone have a picture of it? Does it still wear the original paint today?

I'm glad that you identified the car. We are talking 30+ years ago, sometimes I doubt my memory.

I wonder what it sold for way back then. I don't think that they were considered a big doller car then like they are now. It might have been for sale when I saw it, but i'm not sure.

28. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

I was told it sold for $65,000 in 1987. The price for a Tucker went up a year later when the movie came out in 1988. It is currently being restored so not much of the original paint remains.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• 1011.jpg
      1011.jpg
      File size:
      40.3 KB
      Views:
  29. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

The guy that owned it then was the same guy who owned Whitey's Auto Parts in Ham Lake. I remember seeing the Tucker at the "Greenberg's" show out on Highway 10 in Ramsey at least once. My house is less than 1/4 mile from where his junkyard was. It's currently the site of a Copart insurance yard.
    I remember going into the yard a couple times when his son would open it to the public when his Father was out of town. It was full of classics, including Shark Nose Grahams and a Pierce Arrow. There were a couple of buildings that were "off limits" that were rumored to be full of rare stuff too. I belive he owned a dealership or 2 in Minneapolis back in the 50's or 60's also. I think they were American Motors or Kaiser/Frazer of some sort, as I remember the yard had LOTS of those makes in it. One story I heard was Whitey got so mad the 1st time the son opened it, that he crushed most of the Ford/Chevy stuff that was left. After he did it the 2nd time, He sold out the rest, and most of it ended up scrapped, although I know at least SOME of it ended up out at French Lake.
    I remember my Dad telling about trying to buy something there once along time ago from the old man, and he was such a cranky old bastard that he just siad F@#k it! and walked out.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  30. tuckerfan, some one on the tucker board was keeping a dealer list, is that you? i've found one. first hand account.

an old guy i know came home from the service in 1951. went to work at a local garage/tire place. this place was the tucker dealer. he said the guy still had the signs on the building, some liturature ect... he said the owner was sad the whole deal didn't work out and loved the car. the owner was holding out hoping that the tucker would work out and be produced.

the old fella i know said he was over seas when all this happened and hadn't heard anything about the tucker until he went to work at the garage. he fell in love with the tucker listening to the owner talk about the car and seeing liturature on the car and still loves them today.

if your keeping the list i'll go get the address off of the building. it's still there.