Register now to get rid of these ads!

What did your dad drive?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dan in Canada, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Prior to my being born, my dad owned a series of studebakers, then he moved onto a 1965 fastback mustang, a 1971 corvette, and a 12 cylinder jaguar XKE.

2. flathead okie

flathead okie

My Dad first car I don't know, but I do know he had a 41 Indian scout before he joined the Army Air Corps. Then he rode a B-17 for a while. After he got back and married he bought a 35 Dodge Sedan. After that he bought and sold several cars to suppliment his income while in the Air Force.
    Of those were Hitlers 34? Mercadies(spl) a 34 Horshe, and a 50's Messershmit while in Germany in the late 50's. Later found Hitlers car sold for 250,000 at the leake auction in Tulsa in the early 70's.

3. outlaw256

outlaw256

just asked my mom because i didnt know what cars he had before i came along in 55.he had a 50 merc 2dr.damn wish i could see pics of it!!! but i do remember him trading in a 57 ford that smoked so bad the police pulled us over on the expressway in chicago to tell us to get that thing out of here. we were on the way to trade it in on a 63 impala ss. dad was cusin up a storm and prayin at the same time that that damn car would make it to the dealers.lol

4. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think I first read this right here on the "H.A.M.B.".

"Some men are Catholics, some men are Baptists; my dad was an Oldsmobile man"

He had a '37, '49 "76" fastback, '51 88 4Dr, '53 Super 88 2DR (yea baby!), '55 Super 88 4DR, '58 Super 88 4DR (with J2),, and finally a '62 Dynamic 88 4Dr.

5. Of the ones I can remember there were 1955 Buick, 1957 Plymouth Fury (I wish I had that one), 1966 Thunderbird and 1968 Dodge 1/2 ton Pickup.

6. pila38

pila38

Macks, Peterbilts, 1970 Challenger, and when I was a kid he built the '38 Chevy Sedan we've owned ever since. I was brought home from the hospital in 1979 in a '67 Ford Mason Dump complete with swiss cheese floors. Oh, and I was born in December! There's always a good story to tell about my pops. Love that guy.

7. My dad was big on used police cruisers. "Big brakes, big radiator, big engine for pennies on the dollar!!"

8. What did my Dad drive? My mother crazy and me to drinking....

besides that, his last one was a 60 Le Sabre, before he joined the army he had a '49 olds with the rocket motor. Between them he had a lot of crappy transportion modules and kid haulers.

9. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Seems like my dad's first car was a late 40's Chrysler sedan. He graduated to this nice little Ford a few years later (1959).

Attached Files:

• 51a.jpg
      51a.jpg
      File size:
      143.2 KB
      Views:
  10. My dad a 52 Ford Courier (Sedan Delivery) for a while and traded it for a 1955 Chevy sedan delivery,,these cars were our only means of transportation when I was a kid.

Dad was a practical man,,the sedan delivery was for work and hauling grocery's and family. HRP

11. shawnspeed

shawnspeed
    from Attica Mi

Well, I don't have pic's as dad was too car poor...But he did have a '62 Biscayne , with a 425HP 409 4spd , that he bought off a GM engineer at the time..it spent ALOT of time on Woodward, eating valvesprings, and dropping valves. The second car was a 64 or 65 chevelle ss396 convertable ...dad said it was a dog. The third car was a 68 RS/SS with the DZ 302....bought from the same guy....dad said it was faster than the 409...The next one was a Pickup truck for work in 1970...Take a guess what happened in the fall of '69....I arrived...cool car days were done for awhile.

12. JackdaRabbit

JackdaRabbit
    from WNC

I came home from the hospital in a 15 year old`35 Ford Tudor.

13. fxcomet

fxcomet

Through the years: 49 Olds, 51 Shoebox, 56 Fairlane, 64 Galaxie, 66 SS 396, 68 SS 396, 70 Torino Cobra SCJ.

14. just bustin balls

15. 5window

5window

My dad was a Buick man who then switched to Olds. He had a Model A and a T and a '65 Mustang, but the car he owned that I wish I had was a 1963 Olds F-85 Jetfire Turbo. Neat car, first production car to get 1HP/cubic inch. The thing would scoot,but Olds could never keep the turbo in tune for very long and it was a PIA for a family car.

16. My dad wasn't into hot rods but did own some neat cars when I was a kid. He totaled a 53 Studebaker coupe, then had 56 Studebaker Commander, a 58 Chevy impala and a 63 Chevy Impala SS 327 four speed. I would love to have any or all of them now.

17. haychrishay

haychrishay

this is his latest, well he's owned it since 1993, and he tells everybody that he bought it new and only has one payment left. He is well known for his 37chevy's. The first 37 he did before i was around and the only picture is a left front fender and hood shot with the exhaust cut out. It had a 265 with a duntov cam and dual 4's hooked to a stock driveline that he had figured out how to make 58-60 close ratio gears fir in the stock box. he put a 40 chev coil spring front end under it to make it handle

Attached Files:

18. 24riverview

24riverview

19. moefuzz

moefuzz

An Austin A40 with dual carbs.
    He twisted the drive shaft passing a motorcycle cop on the way to the hospital.
    When the cop told him that he wasn't supposed to pass him on the way to the maturity ward,
    Dad said "Try Telling That To My Pregnant Wife"

20. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

21. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

My dad always had a truck. I just grew up around trucks all the time. Thats probably why im building an apache right now. My pop is also an inline 6 lover. Im pretty fond of a v8 tho lol

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

22. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

We grew up in Australia so we didn't have a lot of choice when it came to big American cars. He had a 60s ford fairlane two door. But I remember him bring home a brand new Chrysler station wagon, metallic blue. I was about five.... I carved my name in the door the first day.. Till this day he always brings that up... He said he would never forget that. I don't blame him. I must have been a little punk kid

23. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

WINNER!!!

My uncles Goldenrod ;)
    [​IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    far as i know it still holds the record for fastest naturally aspirated piston driven vehicle 409.986 MPH[/QUOTE]

24. my Dads first car? I never asked, I do know that he rolled his dad's brand new 34 ford roadster. he said that car would hit 90 mph on gravel Nebraska roads. him and three brothers drove a 30 Model A to Calif in 1939. told me his biggest mistake might have been not buying a Bean Farm that two of his older Brothers wanted to buy. they couldn't swing the deal unless they all 4 went in. today it's called "The Miracle Mile" Whirshire Blvd. Los Angeles.

Dad always preferred inline motors mostly straight eights first Buicks then after Mom bitching about 40 dollars to rebuild the carbs on their 41 century (3 times) he started buying Pontiacs drove his 51 Catalina H.T. till 1960 .

the only hot rod he ever owned was in 1949-50 he had a 29 A tudor sedan with a polished aluminum roof insert. a souped up banger but the real cool thing was a 40 ford dash and column shift. I was only 8 at the time but remember everyone that looked at that car just couldn't say enough about that cool column shift.

I came home from the hospital in a 41 plymouth convertible in April 1942

25. My Dad was a muscle car man.
    '68 Vette, 66 chevy II, 66 SS Impala, '67 SS Chevelle, 70 Nova, '73 Duster

26. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

Dad in High School, up in Ketchikan AK. This car was 3 years old
    [​IMG]

My Dad was never a Hot Rodder when I was growing up. But in his younger days...
    [​IMG]

Then just after the war he picked up a surplus Harley 45 still in the crate. This is a hitch hicker he picked up, or so he tells it.
    [​IMG]

Finally when he became a family man, he got this Ford Anglia Woody to haul kids with.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  27. Cword

Cword

28. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

My Dad always drove junk..(bless his heart).....
    But one old car I do remember traveling in was this 1936? Ford....
    And believe me us kids didn't think it was cool at all back then...especially eating and sleeping on the road as this picture shows !!! :eek:
    Cheers......

Attached Files:

29. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

That Harley is just way too cool !! (and the Chick too)
    My first Harley was just like that one...and old WLA War Bike...
    Thanks for bringing back some great memories !! :)
    Cheers.....

30. Gizzy

Gizzy
    from N.W,Ohio

Cadillac's..always