Register now to get rid of these ads!

Jag front into f-1 truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by titus, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Titus , R.e the front shocks , don't use the stock Jaguar ones . They are long and ugly and will likely interfere with your inner fenders .
    I've done several Jag IFS/IRS swaps and I use a shorter shock and make a top mount that welds on
    just outside the top "A" arm mount . I'll post a pic and add a part number for the shock for you shortly .
    You won't regret the swap and even solid mounted you'll still enjoy the way it drives, steers and behaves . Rod .

2. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I had no trouble with mine, traffic circles and parking lots were a breeze. Who are you hearing this from?

3. I have an 80 XJ6 front and rear in my 47 Cadillac. With a little ingenuity, these IFS are very acceptable to a lot of vehicle applications in fat fender cars. In the 2nd photo part of the original cross member has not been removed yet, where you can see the height difference in the two crossovers. With the IRS, the frame rails had to be channeled in about 6 inches.

As for cost, after parting out a vehicle, we have about $500 in the front and rear. However if you are going to rebuild them, you can start to get into the expense. I have about $750 in rotors, bushings, tie rods, bearings & seals, and brake parts for both ends. Plus another $140 for front shocks/mounts and another $600 in (4) rear adjustable coilovers.

Attached Files:

4. titus

titus

Cool thanks, same thing i was thinking, use some shorter shocks, the pics would be great too, ive seen many ways to mount it and just havent seen the one for me!

JEFF

5. titus

titus

Made a lil more progress, i got the boxing plates all welded in and ground, also got the trans crossmember removed.

hopefully the correct rack will be here before the end of the week so i can get the motor in over the weekend.

heres a few more pics.

jeff

Attached Files:

6. Here you go pal, you earned it.

[​IMG]

Thanks fellas...

Looks great Jeff

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hey Titus, Where did your install line up fore to aft, say in realation to the snubber holes? Did you go a bit forward of them or is the crossmemeber centered on them?

8. titus

titus

Well, the crossmember is way forward of the center line of the wheels, heres how i did mine.....

I scribed a line on the top of the frame that lined up with the center line of the axles (snubber bolt holes) then i slid the suspenion under the car and jacked it up to the bottome of the frame, i then layed a peice of 1x1 tubing across the upper towers, i then dropped a plub bob down to the center of the ball joint on each end, and then 2 more plumb bobs to line up with the center line (thats not actually how i did it but is what i will say is how i did it..i used an adjustible tri square) after i was satisfied with it all lining up i marked where the notches were, notched the frame, slid it back into place and did the same thing then tached it in place, i also measured the center line of the axle to make sure i had marked it the same on both sides, and after i had it tached in a took a couple more measurements and look at hey areas to make sure it was in the correct spot.

9. Thanks for that very informative news flash.
    At least my post was productive to other posters.
    (if they chooses to use the info) Unlike your post.:D

There is a wealth of info on Jags on the HAMB so
    why not tell people, especially if they are newer here.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  10. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Cool man, pretty much what I figured. I never noticed until the last batch of shots that the crossmember on these is a bit forward of everything else... I should probably look a bit closer before asking dumb questions!

11. Here is how I did my shocks.
    Box section with one side cut out.
    Welded to cross member instead of chassis rail as a lot do.
    My cross member is rubber mounted as per jag original.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Well I quoted him and was looking for info from the horses mouth not the other end...

13. hopped up

hopped up
    from So Cal

Hard mounted 85 XJ6 with 2 coils cut. 670 15's
    [​IMG]

14. Meaning what? Are you sure you even know one end from the other?:eek:

15. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Look guys, why don't you P.M. this prattle back and forth instead of screwing up Titus's thread.

16. titus

titus

That does sound like a good plan.

I too think the search function sucks sometimes, i dont see why people have to get on others about the search function.....anyways.....

hopped up, bitchen truck, is the cab just channeled so the fenders moved up on the cowl and then the hood pancaked? looks awsome.

jeff

17. hopped up

hopped up
    from So Cal

Yep! channeled cab, pancaked hood. Old kustom F1 that was in a storage for many, many years till i got hoked up with it back in april. I'm planing on having it road worthy for the Mooneyes Xmas show (Dec 8th) but i don't know! still lots on the to do list.

18. Did you mount it to the bottom of the frame rails or notch it like titus?

That how my f1 sits now. I'll be pancaking my hood this winter.

You got a cool truck, hopped up...

19. I think you will be very low with the Jag crossmember notched into the frame. Install looks good.

I put Jag IFS and IRS into my 52 GMC. I just mounted the front crossmember to the bottom of the frame, no notch. I am just going for low, but not super low. Still getting everything figured out, but right now the stock springs it is sitting too high with A-arms pointing down to tires. Should be near flat. I can add spacers to the lower spring plate, and/or cut the springs some. I test drove it and the Jag brakes are really strong, about put me through the windshield, if i had one.....

20. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Here is an Australian article written by an Engineer regarding the use of Jaguar IFS into F100 frames.

It seemed to make sense when I read it and some of his points should be worth considering.

Hopefully it is readable, If not I will try to have it re-written for those who are interested. Sorry it keeps setting itself upside down, use the rotate button in the views drop down.
    Oh and yes, I also think the search function on here sucks at times!!!

Attached Files:

21. Titus , here's a couple snaps that may help you with top shock mount. I'll edit this post in the morning too add the part number of the shocks I use ( is late evening here at present ) .

You may find if you're running SBC that the stock Jag springs need a haircut . Last '46 Pickup I did needed 1/2 a coil removed . My '53 F100 has a 710 pound lump sitting over it ( 368 Lincoln Y block ) and it is fine with the stock Jag springs .
    Don't space the spring pockets/seats down off the bottom A arms as it will interfere with your scrubline .... Flat tire = hits the road = no steering = bent pickup = Titus very pissed ... you get the picture .

.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  22. titus

titus

Cool thanks thats kinda what i was picturing for shock mounts in my mind to, some very sanitary looking.

Yeah, i figured i may have to cut the coils some, i have no problem cutting coils at all, ill just have to address it when i get.

im assuming at ride hieght the lower control arms should be level then?

JEFF

23. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Nice looking shock mounts!

24. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

My experience, get new springs. I cut a half a coil each side, maybe 3/4, then one fractured later on (not the cut side, the other end) and I had to wedge those rubber mr.gasket spring helpers in to keep it from leaning. I've read that the factory jag springs fatigue and break on several threads.

I sold my car before I could really fix it all up. still kicking myself.

25. titus

titus

Dopped the motor in and it went now where! so i will end up cutting some coils out. ill ask this question, are the lower arms supose to be level at ride hieght? let me know if anyone knows this.

the motor seems like it should fit pretty well, i wont know till i get the rack, they had a little trouble finding the correct one but i think were on track, but im not sure when itll show up with the holidays and all.

so i ended up taking some threaded rod and washers and pulling it down to the general area of ride height where i want it to be, and thats where i was wondering if the lower arms should be level to the ground.

TITUS

Attached Files:

26. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

I think just as a general "rule" with IFS you want to have the lower control arms parallel to the ground to avoid bump steer. It may be different with the Jag though.

27. titus

titus

sure, i know novas are that way, ill have to see what kinda angle the tie rods are at when i get the rack.

jeff

28. sawzall

sawzall

Ive been going back and forth about jag stuff recently.. my thinking is that the jag front end would fit up without notching the inner fenders so as to ensure fewer people realize that a car has ifs.

What is the spline count on the rack u joint? Is an after market substitute avail?

29. titus

titus

Yep, the arms are short so the front end it wider and clears alot of stuff.

im doing some research on steering joints at the moment, 3/4 48 spline, speedway and borgeson has joints so its all good.

alot of people say use the stock joint, i didnt one with it so i can say how good it works.

JEFF