Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I would like to know how the oiling system worked on that motor.

2. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

You can see that the Gardner logo on the car and in the ad are the same.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. chip chipman

chip chipman

The person sitting next to Ali looks like Fred Williamson. Ex football and movie star.

4. Google it. There is lots of information on this engine.
    I find that whole era of multi engines ( usually aircraft) linked by a common crank or gear or shaft arrangement interesting. I think the German He-177 had a pesky
    multi motor deal, even Allison v-12's were linked together.

5. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

THANKS, everybody, for your thoughts. :) I was gettin' nutty 'cause it didn't look quite like Sammy, nor the Coz. Sounds as though it's surely ONE of the guys mentioned of late. The HAMB is a great place to find answers, especially when guys are sitting in a SUPER car! :cool:

6. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

This has been interesting, TuckerFan, et.al. :) When I first saw the pic, I said Gardner; then I said, nah. Must be Lincoln, as the fella at left didn't look like a patron of such a high-end car. Gardners were opulent assembled cars, running Continental engines. Yet, a Gardner it IS! :p Gardner finally folded about the same time Jordan did, so maybe this old fella picked up a used earlier model cheap?

However this happened, pix don't usually lie, so it's one rare photo of a lucky car owner! :cool:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  7. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Anybody got anything on "Ken," running this '55 New Yorker Deluxe 331? :confused: NASCAR? Daytona? Nice ride for '55!;)

8. I don't know how you keep track of this monster thread, let alone the rest of the HAMB. You must never sleep!

9. 62dragfalcon

62dragfalcon
    from Tucson AZ.

Kid musta' had one hell of a fake I.D.

10. lordairgtar

lordairgtar

Not Bill, It's Richard Pryor of freebasing fame. He was a comedian in the vein of Redd Fox.

11. empire

empire

12. empire

empire

13. jchav62

jchav62

I googled pics of Ali and Cosby... that pic comes up a few times.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

14. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

They still allow them in Washington State and Oregon. They tear up the road really bad. A lot of the freeways have two ruts carved in them from all the damage.

15. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

[​IMG]
    Now,,, the owner of this car,... he'd be somebody I'd like to party with...:D

16. GRandma Retro

GRandma Retro
    from NY

cute

Attached Files:

17. murfman

murfman

Looks like a vintage Rat R.. Yikes!

18. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Looks like a Roth Monster on the side of that car , long before Ed was even born...

19. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

in the 50's 60's in CO they used walnut shells ground up in recaps, worked great and no road wear

20. gas pumper

gas pumper

Here in NJ they are not allowed. But the USPS runs them on the delivery trucks.

The New England states still allow them.

New snow tires I've seen have the holes molded in them.

21. Blown30Chevy

Blown30Chevy
    from NW Florida

Thanks for the 55 Crown Vic pic. Any others stashed away to add?

22. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

back around 65 my dad had a very old set of tires that the treads were the words "Snow Go" these were on an angle across the face of the tire about 2 inches wide and it just repeated all around the tire, These tires had what appeared to be saw dust mixed into the rubber they were narrow like you'd see on 30s cars us kids thought that was great and we rolled them all over the yard one winter just to see them print their message we were young and it kept us amused for part of one winter.

23. Sounds like the "NON-SKID" tires of the 1920's.

Attached Files:

24. ehdubya

ehdubya

"In 1923 Gardner took the four cylinder engine to a level never seen in the auto industry. The redesigned Lycoming engine for 1923 had 5 main bearings, and no four cylinder car had it except Gardner. At 43 BHP it was also the most powerful 4 on the market." - via gardnermotorcars.com

Here's another photo of what appears to be the very same car from flicker user crackdog titled 1923 Gardner Radio Special, Oregon 1925

[​IMG]

"1923 saw the introduction of the Radio Special. Even without a radio it was special. Offered in Limousine Blue with Black fenders. Other differences included nickel trim on the radiator shell and headlights, instead of the standard black. The bumper was standard (front only), disc wheels, step plates, outside rear view mirror, Spanish leather interior, tan top, and cowl lights all set it apart from the other models." -gardnermotorcars.com

[​IMG]

25. dmorago

dmorago

Now that is reycling back in the day

26. bajones238

bajones238
    from SC

27. fnqvmuch

fnqvmuch

same location and occupants, too; maybe she took one photo and he the other?

28. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

[​IMG]

This busy street scene shows us downtown St. Louis, Missouri, taken from Seventh, looking south on Locust St. We can see an assortment of late 1920s automobiles, a screened-sided truck is seen in the bottom middle of the photo and just ahead of it is a horse-drawn wagon.

On The Old Motor we have enlargements where you can see it in great detail.

29. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Australia retired the mighty and long lived C-130H fleet, replaced by the 'J' model. This pic shows the RAAF C-130 and a DHC-4 Caribou on the hardstand at Vung Tau Airbase 1970. Sad indeed, so many take offs in these aircraft types when I was serving, so very few landings in one!!

[​IMG]

Doc.

30. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Thanks for the info on the earlier Gardners, EhDubya. :) I knew they were running Continentals their later years, but I didn't go and heavily research the brand. But my impression is that they were/are a little-known high-end make, somewhat like the elusive FOX air-cooled. Very, very expensive, low numbers, and LOW survival rate.:eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.