Register now to get rid of these ads!

Did the Tom McMullen Deuce & Jack Calori's 36 three window sell Saturday?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Nov 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. High5

High5

Yeah, some of the more notorious gangs didn't take kindly to their laundry or any other artifact depicting their club affiliation found with a non-member. In fact, most of these clubs kept the bikes whether you had title to them or not. Afterall they were the judge and jury. Sounds like this guy you speak of got lucky he didn't lose his life over it.

As for car club jackets and plaques, If we had a member leave for personal reasons or asked to leave, those items were retrieved whether they liked it or not. And yes, we had to get a little rough with a few. This was in the 70's. I still believe a member leaving a club should return anything associated with the club. I understand why some feel the plaque should remain on the McMullen roadster. It's a significant piece of history associated with the car. But then where do you draw the line? If the new owner gets out of control and hurts somebody in the process, then the club will take some of the blame. It's a bad rap for them. Something to think about.

There may be a spike in asking price's for a '32 after this auction. But most would be buyers are not going to pay outlandish prices just because of this auction. And when sellers realize that, the prices will level back out. I can't remember Cobra's going through the roof because Carroll Shelby's personal Cobra went for $5m.

2. roxndoxn

roxndoxn

I read 11 pages and still do not know who owns both these AMAZING rides? I am pissed... To the guy that says "I know the owner, blah blah blah... I do not buy it.

I tell you what if I had the kind of money to purchase these both. I would tell you who I was, Be jealous or pissed or whatever. I am sure he had to do something correct to end up in his situation I would love to know.

Just come out and tell us who you are, Balls Out!

Hopefully we will know the new owner soon.

Beau Boeckmann Perhaps?

3. Checkerwagon

Checkerwagon

Wait a second, what was the question ? "Did the Tom McMullen Deuce & Jack Calori's 36 three window sell Saturday?" Yes, they both did.

Lets not get too far away from the subject.

There will always be somebody smarter than me, richer, tougher, cooler etc... I'm ok with that. It takes the pressure of off me.

Take a deep breath ... release.....

All the best,
    Dale
    Cleveland OH

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Man, I hope no one comes to take back my old alliance plaques.:eek: I get the history of the LAR's and it seems there's a lot of sentiment in having their plaque and what should be done when a member leaves. But if it was that damn important, I think they would have gotten it back a long time ago. Which makes me think....... they probably don't give a damn that the plaque is still on that car.

It amazes me how something can increase in value depending on who owned it. I will never get that. It does make for interesting chit chat. As this long ass thread proves.

I'd like to see the car in person one day. I started reading Street Rodder when I first got into hot rods and when Street Rodder was in it's infancy. But I don't want to see that '32 roped off or locked up in a huge garage in bumfuck, Idaho. I want to be sitting at a stoplight and have it roll up next to me. Because in my world, most cars, no matter how valuable or iconic, needs to be doing what a car is supposed to do.

5. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

I can tell ya right now, that if I had the funds, there would have been nothing that could have stoped me from becoming the new caretaker of that 36......that car is the perfect late 40's style custom in my eyes.

The 32, eh, to each his own, I know it is a milestone car, however it is not done in my style, plus, I would much rater have a 33/34 over a 32, (no offence to the 32 guys here, they are VERY sexy cars, just the 33/34 has been my dream car for 25-30 years). Jim

6. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

I'm just like probably everyone else here on the Hamb. I would have to win the lottery to afford to buy either one of these two cars. They are both very nice! 700K for the McMullen 32 is strong money considering the uncertain economy we are currently living in, but that is what you are going to pay for a car like this. Considering the notoriety of the 32's owner/builder and the car's place in history; the selling price to me seems just about right. Yes you could build a 32 roadster just like this for 100K but the other 600K is what you are paying for the historical significance of this car and the fact that this is the real Tom McMullen 1932 roadster. There is only one! I wonder what the Doane Spencer roadster would bring if it ever came up for auction?

7. gas pumper

gas pumper

Me too.

8. slammed

slammed

The Mullen car is not just 'who' but what the car had done, where it went and it's impact on the scene. How many eye balls scanned it's existence. From the Ford assembly line workers to it's latest exposure on the tube. Imagine a camera strapped to it since it rolled down the line.

9. GasserTodd

GasserTodd

I guess a dude with $700K could have gone and built a Riddler contender, and nobody would remember it in two years time.

The buyer has a piece of history for the same (or less) money. All power to him/her

10. fifTsix

fifTsix
    from TEXAS

Seriously :confused: apples and oranges man

11. roxndoxn

roxndoxn

Here is the PM I just got from the Keyboard Warrior "Hotrod Gambler"

(Well Sir you will be eating your words when the cars get here an I can prove it
    I will tell you this I do know the owner your just pissed you dont know where the cars are who owns them)

Hahahaha who is this clown.. did he not read my response...I am stoked for the guy who cares to spend that much money on them... But this "I know who likes you and am not telling BS" is just that BS. Sounds like he is the one who wants to be the New Owner and want people to know "He knows the guy that knows the guy" GET BENT!

Have a good day

12. Mooseman

Mooseman

All this talk about club plaques and jackets owned by non members reminds me of the boat loads of people I have seen wearing sons of anarchy shows and jackets since that show went on tv, they wear the stuff as if it was real and they were a part of it for cyring out loud haha.

As for the roadster, I can't help but wonder what it would look like without flames, never much been into flames.

As for the price, someone wanted that car so much that to them that price was worth it, some people are willing to spend more if they really want something.

I have been known to spend more to get what I want, not that kind of money however. Havent had 7 grand let alone 700 grand.

13. firingorder1

firingorder1

Fame by association. Like speed fame costs. How famous do you want to be?

14. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've always felt this way, too, but . . . this fact is really one of the main things that drive the market for collectibles.

A Babe Ruth New York Yankees jersey has set the new world record for sports memorabilia items, drawing $4.4 million at auction.

It's just an old wool jersey :)

15. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

:D "Hotrod Gambler" What a cad, what an ultra maroon :D What a wanna be. :) Look at me, I know somwone who has way more money than me :D

16. gilby's garage

gilby's garage

all i know is if i had the money i would have bought it!
    i did ask my wife and she said no, so i passed and hng up the phone, bummer

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  17. Guess you failed to see the humor in the post. At least one guy got it with his response of a bunch of LA Roadster guys showing up to take it back. Bunch of geezers beating the guy with their canes and walkers

18. Why are you PISSED? because the new owner of both cars (Yes it is the same guy) doesn't want his identity known at this point. That's his prerogative. And no it isn't Beau Bockman

Why all the anger? He does know the guy and is respecting his wishes to keep it quiet as to the identity at this point. Why do you have a problem with this?

Really? He added somethings to the discussion that were of value (like the fact that the new owner plans to drive the car etc.), but is respecting the privacy of the new owner. All you did was add drama.

19. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

20. Harms Way

Harms Way

You need to get more sleep Larry :D

Did you have Thanksgiving Dinner already ?..... That always knocks me out cold......:cool:

21. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Yawn :) ZZZZZZ

22. From the Salt Flats in the 40's and 50's to the streets of LA, the '32 Highboy has always been the hot rod of choice. Famous Roadster clubs, like the Bay Area Roadsters, and LA clubs, brought the Highboy from its heyday-- guys like Doane Spencer. This has made the Roadster one of the most sought after cars in history with sky-rocketing prices that have never ended.
    The manufacturing of new steel bodies that are beautiful have gotten people closer to realizing their dream, but still out of reach for most people. And for these reasons I would take a Roadster -- over a Coupe any day. That's why the Roadster was worth more money.

Reading through these threads. -- The same HAMB guys have nothing good to say other than using profanity to get their point across that they're really the dumb ones. Go to another thread if you don't like it. HRP, I'm surprised with your attitude. You've come down on me before and yet answer some of these threads. I guess this has turned into a good ol' boy club to see how many people we can get on our profile. People can express themselves in a intelligent way. JMO

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  23. deadgearhead

deadgearhead
    from Washington

I would tend to believe you if the car was something other than a Duece roadster and if the car's history as a hot rod wasn't set in stone many years before Tom McMullen's "antics".

24. A Boner

A Boner

patiently waiting for this thread to close.

25. has anyone else noticed that you can't discuss a fucking thing on here anymore with out it turning into a bitch battle?

tech week

26. Sadly I have noticed!:confused: HRP

27. Harms Way

Harms Way

I'm not sure I like the way you said that !!!!!
    ;):D:D:D

28. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That is funny :D

29. Actually, I think it is a shame that either one of those cars had to suffer the indignation of being sold at the traveling circus.

30. Muttley

Muttley

This thread is now about

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.