Register now to get rid of these ads!

Did the Tom McMullen Deuce & Jack Calori's 36 three window sell Saturday?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Nov 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harms Way

Harms Way

The car was sold from Tom to ( I might get first names wrong here) Robert Lovesy in pieces. After Roberts untimely death, his wife (can't remember if her name was Karen or Linda) Had the car reassembled as a mundane all black street roadster. And the car was once again purchased from her.... Well documented with the same VIN.......

The original Frame was toast if I remember right, and I don't remember if they repaired the original frame or replaced it..... And I think they had to replace some of the rear suspension components. Everything else on the car, came with the car from Tom.

2. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

700 G’s ?
    Would build me my own hero car … not a car tattooed with some other swingin dicks name.

3. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

In the mid-late 70's I looked at a bare 32 roadster body that was purported to be the body off of the McMullen roadster. It was in Riverside CA, I don't remember exactly where. The chassis was said to be somewhere on the premises but I did not see it. As I said it was purported to be his but the body was in primer as I recall. Body hood and shell sitting on the lawn in back of a house they wanted $1,000.00 for the body. I went to scrounge the cash, I came pretty close to a grand and when I returned it was no longer for sale. Don't know if it sold or was withdrawn from the market and to this day do not know if it was the real McMullen roadster.

4. randy

randy

I'm just glad they all don't cost that much.

5. Muttley

Muttley

Just the opposite for me, IMO the Coupe is boring.

6. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

While close to it, I'm glad this topic didn't spin into a hate fest. I'm just a bit closer to understanding the 32, still not on board with the "sum of it's parts" matching it's historical perception, but I'm just 1 enthusiast in a cast of millions (people not dollars:cool:). I'm glad to see the 36's provenance isn't all my own, and if it's true that both went to the same guy the point is close to moot.

I'm 100% on board with Bass' outlook as well as many others here. I know the feeling of having your hands create a car that ends up getting a record amount of $$$$$$. I haven't done it for myself as of yet but this event shows that anyting is possible as long as you keep sanding and wrenching and welding and hammering. I mentioned earlier how the whole hobby/activity/craft has grown past the previous perceptions. That in itself is something to be proud of and should be respected.

In the end, whether or not hot rods are more popular than kustoms, I'd still nominate the 36 as the ultimate poster image of the HAMB. I mean the thing ran 114.5MPH in the late 40s. Best of both ideas.

7. Larry T

Larry T

McMullens car wasn't too slouchy (for a street driven hot rod) on top end either.

"McMullen then switched to 327 power, famously racing on the street, the drag strip and on the dry lake bed of El Mirage, where he set the A/Street Roadster record of 167 MPH in 1964."

8. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Build them, drive them. Why get worked up over what others will pay for them? That's not what this hobby is about.

9. Green Voodoo

Green Voodoo
    from Melbourne

I do not dispute the value of the McMullen 32 or the Calori 36 Coupe.

But what is really interesting to me is that a number of historically significant cars that come up for sale from time to time with magazine coverage or otherwise, will some times linger before they sell and at very reasonable prices ( sub 100K).

It seemed to me for a while that whilst everyone was HOO HAA!! about historical Hot Rods and Kustoms no one seemed to want to buy them- not even at reasonable prices.

Remember the RM Auction just a few years ago at the Petersen Museum?

The Harry Bradley Custom Chevy sold for just 20K. Surely that car is almost as cool as the Calori Coupe if not just as cool!

Many of the cars in the auction sold for sub 100K and many were historically siginificant "trend setters" with magazine coverage - even if they were not as iconic as the McMullen Roadster or the Calori coupe

Why did bidders at the RM Auction decline the opportunity to own some great cars at very affordable prices but presumably were now ready to pay 300K for the Calori coupe and up to 700K for the Mucmullen roadster.?

Perhaps one reason may be - the guys with this kind of money need peer approval before they spend. If that is the case they are not die hards like the rest of us and dont really deserve to own these cars just because they have all the money in the world!

Surely for the guys in this price field a depressed economy has no bearing on their wealth. In many cases it offers the opportunity to multiple wealth.

I would love to see the profile of the buyer for both the Mucmullen 32 and the 36 Calori Coupe.

I hope the buyers already have a stash of historically significant Hot Rods & Customs to verify their integrity as collectors who want to preserve history rather than just being posers.

My experience with some of the wealthy "Dude Collectors" is that they seek the cars that have peer "approval" of which both the Mcmullen 32 and Calori 36 certainly have. One reason is that they have insufficient knowledge so they only know the cars that everyone seems to know.

Sadly, these guys don't always have the confidence to step forward to buy a "cool" significant historical hot rod or custom if it does not have the usual "high" profile.

In other words for all their wealth and good fortune they are no different to most people.

They may be leaders in the business world but they are followers in the hobby if their collection is limited to "high profile" cars only.

I hope the buyers of the 32 or the 36 dont fall into this category, because if they do it wont be long before the cars are on the block again.

If they sell for less the next time it will only have negative impact throughout the hobby.

It is better to have gradual increases in value over time to ensure the proper restoration and preservation of historical cars rather than the "gunho" over the top prices which may not be sustainable, when the "Rich Kids" have had enough of their new toys and move on to the next flavour of the month!

I hope both cars have found a "Die Hard" care taker who deserves being a "rich" guy as well!

Food for thought!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  10. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

SORRY!----But at 80 yrs old,---Guess I'm just "Old school" & still go by the LAR rules.----Don

11. Larry T

Larry T

Just a comment on the plaque deal. Lots of organizations are a lot less tollerant than a little complaining about club stuff.

And, apparently, non-authorized L. A. Roadster plaques aren't that hard to come by.

"Send lawyers, guns, and money"--probably the only way to enforce the by laws.

12. Harms Way

Harms Way

Our club was formed in 1951,... and it is anything BUT tolerant when dealing with club Jackets & Plaques,.... Whatever the reason for leaving the club including death. the Plaque and Jacket belongs to the club,... (occasionally some latitude was used).

As far as the RKAC Plaque that was given to Bruce Meyer for the Frank Mack roadster.... That was the one and only exception. So it's still on Franks car in the Peterson, as it has been on Frank's roadster for many, many years.

13. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

And that line of thinking is why some people don't give a rats a$$ about car clubs in general.

Honestly, car club jackets are lame to begin with and to put so much importance on them and plaques. :confused:

In the end what difference does it make ?

14. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

I'm glad these club guys aren't zoning enforcement officers!

15. rockfish

rockfish

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bobbykid's32
    Don, You got me thinking, not to harp on the plague thing. I was an Early '70's member of the San Luis Roadsters and was part of Invitation Only meets with the LA Roadster club. I don't think it's fair that you speak for the entire LA Club on this matter. I was in the San Luis Club in 1970. Anyway that's a long time and people change their ideas and perspectives can become not so rigid. The LA Roadsters are about public relations. No disrespect, but your way of thinking is a PR disaster. A lot of people have respect for the LA Roadster Club, so I'm just saying. JMO QUOTE:

Quote:
    SORRY!----But at 80 yrs old,---Guess I'm just "Old school" & still go by the LAR rules.----Don QUOTE:

I've got an LA Roadsters plaque at home that my dad picked up at a swap meet in Missouri this past summer. I assume is a knock-off as I see them on cars at shows in the Midwest pretty often. I think I'll run it on my car until the plaque sheriff busts me:D

16. Tom "used" the roadster alright Bill. If you knew Tom, you know the roadster was a means to an end. The end was promoting Tom McMullen. He did set a record at El Mirage with it while a member of the Road Runners. His membership was brief. When word of his antics on the street got back to the club, Tom was asked to resign. Tom ran the car at the drags some too, but with less success. Here he is learning that a blower will not always make you the fastest. :)

[​IMG]

HEMI32 likes this.
  17. Harms Way

Harms Way

A little history lesson for ya' here........

Back in the day that MHRA and SCTA were formed, Hot Rods and Hot Rodding was a dirty word, And with a few idiots burning up the roads and ruining it for a lot of legitimate rodders,.. At one time there was a major push that had a lot of public support in this country to ban any modification of factory automobiles..... (Make it illegal to build a Hot Rod)

So Hot Rod Clubs were formed back in the day to pull together, and give a legitimate persona to Hot Rods and improve the image nation wide. Change public perception and keep the general public from legislating us out of existence (which they were on the fast track of doing).

Back then, like today,...you couldn't just write a check for dues to a club and be in (I am talking about the oldest Hot Rod clubs in our nation MHRA , SCTA, clubs as well as L.A. Roadsters). You had to be brought in by an existing member put through the process and voted on,..... If you made it into the club and promised to follow the by-laws you earned your Jacket and Plaque, and represented the club you were a member of . If you left the club for any reason or were kicked out,... It was understood that you no longer represented the club, and the association with them was broken. (remember they were still trying to build a good reputation).

Several SCTA and MHRA clubs gave out courtesy cards when helping out stranded motorists,.... Agreed to race only at actual racing venues and not on the street... ETC. In the late 40's and early 50's when there were a ton of clubs nationwide,.. the idea of forming an Association of clubs became popular and this is what lead to things like the SCTA, MHRA & NHRA, with the help of guys like Wally Parks. That was trying to promote safety, and responsible Hot Rodding.

The rules governing things like membership requirements, Jackets, Plaques etc. were not put in place for just a ego thing,... it was put in place to be able for clubs to police there own membership (who represented and reflected them), and be able to keep it in line with the constitution, bylaws and mission statement of the clubs in question.

In the world of Traditional Hot Rods,... Very few things are more Traditional or historical than this......

So for the guys that want to be a member of a certain club, with all the Tradition and history,... the guys that earned that privilege and represents not only that club, but all the former members,... in the end, it makes a huge difference.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
    Dean Lowe and HEMI32 like this.
  18. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Interesting. I knew a lot of that way what it was all about. I am thinking that was then, this is now and how much of that is still needed or valid any more ?

Times change and do we change with them of just stick to the old ways ?

19. Agree on LA Roadster rules.--Like Tom or not, the car is a historic Roadster, and gets a pass. I am talking about the McMullen Roadster.:):)

20. Larry T

Larry T

If there are any cars deserves a pass, this is probably one of them. But not without permission.

BTW, I'm like Groucho Marks--"I wouldn't belong to any club that would have me." But I do understand what they are about.

21. Regardless of what the La Roadsters think the new owner of the car is, as far as we know, not a member so their rules and regulations mean ZERO. He signed nothing and agreed to nothing and if the Roadsters were not diligent enough to get their plaque back from the original owner then to bad for them.

If I had just bought a car for any amount and some club came to me and asked for part of what I bought back because one of their former members didn't follow the rules I would tell them to go pound salt.

22. Harms Way

Harms Way

Wow,.... what a strange question to be found on a "TRADITIONAL HOT ROD SIGHT",.... like the HAMB !

Let me check with the Masons, Oddfellows, Eagles, Shriners,... Etc.... and get back to you on that. :D
    Listen, I understand, if you don't want to be part of a Car Club or Association that's just fine.... But your painting with a pretty broad brush there in your first comment on clubs.

23. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

Agreed

24. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

as to who purchased the car(s), the flapping gums of the commentators said something along the lines of: "it will now join a very nice collection" (paraphrasing), so they must have had an idea of whom the successful bidder was.

As to the price - all I can say is that now we know what a fairly famous hot rod owned by a well-known individual and major player 'back in the day' should sell for. It wouldn't have gotten over $100k unless there were at least TWO people that thought it was worth it. It may be interesting to see if all well-finished deuce roadsters will "...benefit from a rising tide".

25. Funny I was thinking the same thing,--I went hotrodlhotline and the price of some 32 Roadsters have gone up.

26. But history has shown that that doesn't mean they will sell for anymore. They could, it's the old coat tails theory, but in this case I'm gonna say it won't

27. Know a guy who tried that attitude with a certain Motorcycle Club that wanted their sticker removed from a bike he just bought. I think he can walk again now and he lost the motorcycle during the shooting.

28. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's like when Barry Jackasson Auctions bumped up prices on Mopars...

Why would anyone pay Millions of dollars for a "regular convertible" with bad fitting panels, naughahyde seats, plastic door panels and A HEMI.
    ...After one guy did...the rest followed!

----------------------------------------------
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by propwash [​IMG]
    as to who purchased the car(s), the flapping gums of the commentators said something along the lines of: "it will now join a very nice collection" (paraphrasing), so they must have had an idea of whom the successful bidder was.

As to the price - all I can say is that now we know what a fairly famous hot rod owned by a well-known individual and major player 'back in the day' should sell for. It wouldn't have gotten over $100k unless there were at least TWO people that thought it was worth it. It may be interesting to see if all well-finished deuce roadsters will "...benefit from a rising tide".

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>"Funny I was thinking the same thing,--I went hotrodlhotline and the price of some 32 Roadsters have gone up."

29. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh Yeah...and Don Johnson was somehow involved...

30. Sutton Speed

Sutton Speed

I can picture it now... an angry mob of LA Roadsters club members...... I think he'll be just fine! Keep the damn plaque on the car, he bought it and the car deserves to keep it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.