Register now to get rid of these ads!

home made tools and equipment...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Heres another E wheel for ya . I knocked this one out in a couple days . Just a few more tweaks here and there and its ready to be prettied up LOL !!!

Attached Files:

2. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

:cool: pretty clever mate. Will do one as well. :cool:

LOL thought i was the only one that noticed

3. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

Ago: perhaps this will get you started.. I can draw a schematic of mine if anyone wants me to do so, I posted this on metalmeet and only heard uninterested CRICKETS..

the basics..

1st edm I made here.. by Home shop machinist plans. I think I gave $25 for the book.. it requires "special" conductive edm fluid to operate.. why? (I am a retired electrician) And the biggest cheapskate here.

the arc-distance-capacitance-resistance must be controlled to operate "spark" discharge rate at the right timing to allow charging of the electrode. THE HSM (Langlois?) unit with plain tap water did so little cutting you would grow a long beard before it bored a hole.

This new one, I used a large hyster hobart battery charger transformer with current limiting, a bank of capacitors switched in and out charging through plain old wire wound resistors. I have "seen" them limited through 120 volt light bulbs in chrome plating tanks. (series like a very old christmas tree light) when the bulb is lit, the current is flowing.. also a indicator when a chrome tank lost connection. About the same kind of high amperage low voltage power supply.

anyways.. using my unit it works with plain tap water once you switch on the proper resistance and capacitors in the circuit right.. THE water carries the powdered iron in a ink cloud away from the hole. (see video at end)

THE vibrating pen.. well it solves all kinds of issues... by vibrating the "spark gap" it closes and opens the gap up and a "continuous" spark is created eating a rapid hole. THIS is what the book suggested using a dc arc welder running reverse polarity. It does stabilize the arc. (note, a arc welder develops 18-36 volts.. and in fluid helping a conductivity it can kill you) So be very isolated from this circuit if you decide to use that power supply.

It ain't rocket science friend.. it's just finding the right charge rate and discharge correctly into the part.. the "metal" turns into a black ink cloud like a octupus.. I have a video of the first one, made from a demo-ed church organ power supply..
    http://smg.beta.photobucket.com/user/ibewgypsie/media/vibratingedmtest.mp4.html

As with any electricity, you can die if you apply it wrong.. as a old biker who rides through Atlanta rush hour at times.. this is small stuff. When younger I thought I was bullet-proof too.. I am not. I've bounced off a few tanker trucks and cars too.

4. Here is the adaptor. It bolts any Grant 3 bolt style wheel to the bead roller. Cool part is, you can also invert the wheel if you want it closer to your work.

If ayone wants one, just PM me.

Attached Files:

5. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Thanks Dawai,

I copied your post for future reference. I operated commercial units in my machine shop experience.

Ago

6. OK you crafty fellows,
    What can I or would you make out of this stuff.

I have 8 DC motor controllers from the mid 80s.
    75HP, 50hp, 25hp, 15hp 2 of each.

There's all sorts of electrical stuff in there about 100 lbs a piece to be repurposed

7. knotttty

knotttty

8. Ha ha , I've thought about that very seriously.

Kind of hard to build a car around a controller

9. gc427

gc427
    from SoCal

Hey Dawai, nice job on the home made EDM!

10. verry nice

11. nexxussian

nexxussian

Dawi, very nice on the EDM, thank you for sharing. :)

Just a note, for anyone using an iPad, I had to log into my photobucket account to see the videos.

Must be a vagary of the new beta at P-bucket. :rolleyes:

Not bitching, just a note to help if anyone else runs into that. ;)

12. willymakeit

willymakeit

What rpm ot fpm is at the die? I like his setup.

13. This is more than Tesla had to work with !

14. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

31 Vicky/Hemi.. No kidding, Nikola Tesla was able to transmit electricty through the earth, no wires with a transformer, a tuning fork with points, and a ground rod and antennae..
    How it worked? I looked at the patent for days till it occurred to me, the shaft of the tuning fork is across the transformer, You "rung the tuning fork" and when the "transformer hum" came into harmony with the transformer coil it was tied to, it "ran itself" by arcing the points on the fork to make AC from the earth's dc to continue the frequency.. made more power than put in.. and THE money sharks didn't like un-saleable free power so they bankrupted him.

Ain't heard much since then have you?

There are LOADS of good parts in them drives.. mostly capacitors, the power transistors are probably all obselete.. timing boards?? solar-wind power, battery station chargers.. all kinda things can be made with imagination. Derusting tanks using arm-hammer soda.. all kinds of things. I have a ton of crap like that.. someday I might use, or never need it.. when it falls on you like Dagwoods closet did in the cartoon.. time to clean it up.

15. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

Got mine and it is perfect. Thanks so much.

16. Thank you, now I expect to see some cool artwork on the bead rolling thread from you.

17. aametalmaster

aametalmaster
    from Salem Ohio

I started this 17 years ago and just up graded the bottle jack to a 12T from the 6T i started with. I cut down lots of driveshafts for the local street rodders and they always come in with the u joints and i need to remove them. I also have a little machine shop and need to broach in keyways in some of the parts i make as well as press in bearings. I can make tooling for about anything i need pretty quick. Thanks for looking...Bob

Attached Files:

18. Carb-Otto

Carb-Otto
    from FINkLAND

Just wrote post on my blog about hydraulic press, and wanted to share it here. Funny thing is that previous writer has just today written post about hydraulic press... well, now you guys just see two posts about hydraulic presses one after another! ;)

See my hydr press here;
    http://used-dirt.blogspot.fi/2012/11/hydraulic-press.html
    (and seek for HAMB logo!) :D

19. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Whats that?? This the EDM you tqalkin about? does it mean ElectricDinamoMotor or something??

Thats nice. Ive been thinkin of buildin one for some time. I understand the purpose of all the tooling pictured, but when you say "i cut down a lot of driveshaft" what do you mean? What does an hydraulic press has to do with cuttin? Im just curious im not talkin shit.

20. Just read the post/posts- the driveshafts to be cut come in with the u joints still in and those u joints need to be pressed out before the cutting process happens.

The edm is a EDM, the picture is a responce to my question

21. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Daium! Made it more difficult that it actually was LOL tipical me.

22. aametalmaster

aametalmaster
    from Salem Ohio

It really has nothing to do with cutting them off per say. But when i turn the cut off end in my lathe to remove the weld from the yolk the u joint has to be out for my live center to poke in the end of the yoke. Hope this helps...Bob

23. aametalmaster

aametalmaster
    from Salem Ohio

Now i need to paint mine :) Like the stripes too...Bob

24. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

Need a cheap air cylinder for your press? (shear, hole punch, etc) These were free to me to remove them.

A semi air brake pot works.. R2 (6-7")x pi x air pressure equal exerted force. It will bend a 1/2 steel rod into a horseshoe, so plan accordingly with a regulator.

[​IMG]

Painted and pretty now, but no current pictures.. too much junk & unfinished jobs in the way. I mounted mine on a 2x2 stem so I can change where the linkage ends up.

25. aametalmaster

aametalmaster
    from Salem Ohio

Thats either a Haldex or Bendix air brake. I worked in the factory that makes them. Cool...Bob

26. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I made a separate thread on this but it should also be here I think.

I bought myself a Magnum tools bead roller and decided to beef it up for stiffness and to also power it with a gear motor.

I welded some extra metal around and into it which greatly stiffened it, it will now roll 16 gauge without protest if needed.

I also modified the top die pressure screw so that the top die can be turned down and also lifted for changing dies without loosening any bolts.

The gear motor is a Dayton which has a 1787:1 reduction so it gives about 2.8 RPM speed to the dies under load.

I wired it so it is reversible and it operates with a foot pedal.

It came with the basic stepping and bead rolling dies, I'll add to my collection as I go, likely tipping dies, and louver dies too.

Pictures.

<!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  27. ctfordguy

ctfordguy

I need to rivet parts of the frame on my 1936 Ford. Does anyone have a tool to hold the hot rivet in place so I can pound it?
    Thanks,
    Bruce/CT

28. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

dimple die i made from a piece of channel and an old tattoo machine grip. i could have used a lathe but wanted to show a buddy you can do stuff like this with basic tools and found objects.
    [​IMG]

29. nexxussian

nexxussian

You need a rivet set (portable anvil).

Find a heavy chunk of steel and carve a recess in it the shape of the finished rivet head you want.

Make sure it's smooth as any groves you leave in the rivet head cavity will show on the finished rivet. :(

Carve the cavity on a flat side so the flat can support the web of the frame rail.

Tooling for the other side can be made similarly.

If you want to get real creative, you could make two, and hinge them together like pliers, not likely to get enough "squeeze" to do the job alone, but at least you wouldn't have to chase them around freehand. :)

30. fibertech

fibertech
    BANNED

My son and I try to do "shop night" one night a week because real life gets in the way of fun. Here are a couple of things I whipped up to make life and shop night easier.

[​IMG]

I was tired of dragging our heavy chop saw out and kneeling on the floor every time I wanted to hack off some thick steel so I went to Salvation Army and picked up the queen sized bed rail for $10. I added some $10 swap meet go-cart wheels, another $12 for axle material, and spent one shop night building it.

[​IMG]

I made a swing out of the way handle out of some 3/4" tube and a couple of bolts for hinges.

Everyone who has ever owned one of these cheap lifts have cussed out those junk steel casters that roll great when there is no weight on them, but get more than a couple of hundred pounds on the lift and they lock up.

[​IMG]

Harbor Freight 600 Pound load rated 6" wheels for $20 a piece, and Rural King 2" offset ball hitches for $15 a piece. So the overall distance didn't change of wheel location, I measured from end of leg to centerline of wheel at 3" and measured where ball hitch would engage leg to centerline of new wheel at 3" and cut 6" off of the leg.

[​IMG]

The 2" offset ball hitch with the 6" wheel slid into the end of the leg ends up being the same overall ride height as to the original steel caster.

[​IMG]

End product rolls smooth as a baby's ars.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012