Register now to get rid of these ads!

People in MI / Detroit area

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by voltaic, Nov 19, 2012.

1. dmikulec

dmikulec

You'd like the neighborhood. There's a couple of shops next door too and they're always working on something cool.

But, you're welcome any time. I was born and raised "next door" in Cleveland BTW. Moved down here back in '88. :cool:

2. Welcome! I'm over on the west side of Wayne County, in Wayne. We are toying with the idea of having a get together (probably in the spring) at the 'new' place. I'll post something up if we do.

JK

3. DirtyJoe

DirtyJoe

Welcome. I'm a couple hours away from you. I have met most of my car friends at shows and swap meets. Most live at least a hour away.

4. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

So true Beaner,
    Most of all my wrenching pals I had as a kid , or just out of school have grown up and moved away..got em spread out from Texas to Tennessee, Florida to Indiana, few stayed up in this cold wasteland.

Information is easy to come by on here, but it is nice to have someone help push your junk when it wont run, and thats one thing the internet pals cant do;)

5. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

The meet and greet will be in basement on or near the Singlefinger Garage on Saturday afternoon. Usually it is around 1:00pm.

Brothers Custom is up the road from you. Great place and cool guys. They can help with the clubs around you.

Martyn

6. khead47

khead47

7. Lots of traditional gear heads in our area. Problem is they are all hibernating now till the AutoRama.

Rudy.

8. Deuces

Deuces

Would that be just off of Ford Rd.????...

9. Don't sweat the small stuff, for a nominal monthly service charge, we are all glad to be your friend. Visa and Master-Card only, sorry No Personal Checks or American Express. ;)

10. butch27

butch27

Deuces: Yes, just North of Ford rd.

11. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

i feel ya, im in high school.. and no one is interested in cars (other than my dad)

12. flathead4d

flathead4d

13. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

We ain't hibernating... we're busy cutting, welding & drinking beer in the shop.
    Just like you are. :cool:

BTW voltaic, that Mopar is pretty friggin cool! I LOVE that color!
    Anybody that digs being unique can hang with the us, anytime.

14. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

Hey Im in plymouth..........I love to cut, chop, add nitro and set on fire!!
    What time you want me there and what kind of beer we drinkin??
    Ill bring the nitro and torch.......we gonna have some fun!!!!
    Your new pal....Johnny Rotten.
    (toung and cheek requried)

15. grf-x

grf-x

I live in the Detroit metro area. Berkley to be exact. Been working on my 51 shoebox. Watcha got?

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

16. And for the explanation of what "GMB" means, well, you're gonna have to get that in person. ;)

And bring a banjo....

LOL

Jason (JK)

17. voltaic

voltaic

Holy shit.... was not expecting this sort of response from all of you. Thanks a lot for the warm welcome!

So in the spirit of being at work, and not caring TOO much about the pile of shit stacking up on my desk, I think it's appropriate to take my sweet ass time and reply to all of you.

Longest reply post ever incoming:

Glad you like the car, I feel the same way about the oddballs, I've always been a mopar guy - my grandpa worked at the axle plant in Detroit so my dad grew up on Woodward and was always around mopars; an obsession (maybe more of a disorder, lol) that he’s apparently passed down to me as well.

And yeah, it is a shame I’m so far up North – nothing worse than trying to break a nut lose and hitting your hand on the frame rail when it’s 10 below!

Glad you like it! Definitely nothing wrong with it, actually love the thing, there’s just not much of a market for em, though I don’t really care because I’m not selling it! :p

I definitely will, but you shouldn’t call your wife a dirtball!

Hour and a half ain’t too bad of a drive, and the Sins of Steel show is great, I was there this past summer but showed up pretty late in the day. MY parents live up in Clarkston, so they’re not too far from it – I’ll see ya there next year!

Thanks for the offer, it’s always appreciated, and I definitely won’t hesitate to take you up on it. Mentioned above, but my parents live up in Clarkston so I’m up that way quite often, and I’ll definitely be at Sins of Steel next summer as well – see you there, if not sooner!

I think it’s a great car, I love the style – especially since the mopars of the early fifties were like the runts of the litter, all the other cars were getting stretched out but the mopars stayed pretty small, I think it makes it that much more unique.

The car is pretty solid as far as I can tell, I haven’t torn into it too much though, so if I find any gaping holes in the frame or something like that, I’ll take you up on the offer ;)

I love the 270 Dodge motors, I had a line on one I was thinking about buying about a month ago, but I ended up paying my electric bill instead – might have been a mistake :p

Nice one – I’ll keep my eyes open in the spring for posts about you guys meeting up, or I’ll shoot you a message, Westland’s not a bad drive so I’d definitely see about coming over.

That does indeed seem to be the case. I lived out of the country until about a year ago, so I think I’m just out of touch with a lot of things in the area, hence my post here – it’s definitely opened my eyes. Good call on the Cruisin’ News – I always forget about that for some reason, looks like I know what to get myself for Christmas lol.

I mentioned this (maybe a few times) earlier in this reply, but my parents live in Clarkston, so not too far from you at all, and I’m up there a lot. Might actually drive the Plymouth up tomorrow if the weather stays the way it is. See you around friend :)

Thanks for the welcome! Let me know if you’re ever in the area, we’ll go shoot some clays ;)

Yeah the weather here definitely sucks for a good chunk of the year if you’re into cars, not exactly easy to work on your ride unless you’ve got a heated shop – and even then, you gotta wait until spring to take it out! I don’t blame you for making the jump, my grandpa moved out to Apache Junction a few years ago so I try to get out there once a year to see him – that man is a veritable bible of mopar knowledge.

Yeah, I mean I’m happy to wrench all day long by myself, but there’s something about the social aspect that adds a lot to the experience. If you’re ever up in the area, let me know – some of my best memories involve alleys and beer haha!

You’re my favorite person here already, get your ass out of Missouri and up to Michigan, have a beer with me, and I’ll let you wax philosophical into the early hours of the morning.

It’s not about being independent, it’s about sharing experiences with people – we’re here for a good time, and not for a long time, as you’re obviously well aware based on the unfortunate loss of many good friends. You’d be hard pressed to find someone more independent than myself, and I tend to prefer my own company and have to make a conscious effort to be more social – but I digress, this isn’t my autobiography. Secondarily, it’s not about having people around to help or answer questions, I’m sure there’s a truckload of things I can’t do myself, but I’ve got the gumption to figure them out when I have the need.

But, you’re absolutely right about it being nuts and bolts… but… I actually AM a rocket scientist….

I look forward to seeing you around here, and if it’s alright with you, I’ll continue to read your posts with the mental image of a crotchety man in his rocking chair, pipe in hand, who’s seen more than is fair by most regard, and has more to say than the time to say it.

I love the KY country side, it’s damned gorgeous down there, and I’ll definitely let you know the next time I’m passing through ;)

Sounds good, some sort of get together would be a blast – maybe bad timing on my part posting this with winter rolling in, haha. Keep in touch and maybe I’ll see ya after the thaw!

Thanks for the welcome! I think now that I’ve actually got my project started I’ll end up being in meeting a lot more people because I’ll no doubt end up at a lot more swap-meets and shows. Nothing wrong with a bit of a drive to meet up with people ;)

You referring to this Saturday? If so, I’ll definitely clear up the day and make my way over there, and I’ll have a look into Brothers Customs, I’ve seen the name a few times but it had slipped my mind until you mentioned it.

There’s always plenty in my fridge, come over any time – not much to do in the winter but throw a couple back, freeze your ass off running out to the grill, and day dream about the summer ;)

Does that montly fee include parts and labor? ;)

A little bit of a reversal of roles given that I started this post – but I wanted to say I think it’s awesome that you’re in high-school and you’re into the old rides, sometimes I fear that I’m on the bottom of the age bracket when it comes to wrenchin’ on cars – it’s nice to see that my pessimism is being challenged.

Like other people have said in this thread, and I’ll say it too – spend every minute you can hanging out with your dad, especially working on cars and learning new [old] things. It seems like you’ve probably already figured this out, but I know there’s a lot of contrary thought with folks when they’re your age – your dad is the coolest mother fucker you know, and the older you get, the more you’ll realize that.

And don’t worry about not having people around your age into the same stuff as you, as the replies in this thread have clearly shown, we’re around, and age doesn’t mean shit. Keep it up bud.

I will definitely do that, thanks for the tip ;)

Haha, I wish I had the time to hibernate! And you’ve reminded me – I need to get a damn heater for my garage, this weather has spoiled me so far this fall, but I know it ain’t gonna last.

Glad you think the mopars cool ;) I’m actually a big fan of the color too, the paint’s a bit rough when you’re up close, but I’m gonna work on rubbing it out this weekend and see where I can get with it – need to weld up a few patches on the quarters too, so it looks like I’m gonna be cruising with some primer patches for awhile, nothing wrong with that though ;)

Where about’s are ya? Shoot me a message and I’ll bring the beer.

Nice to meet you Johnny – it’s quite funny that you’d reply to this thread – as it seems to me it was YOUR DAMN CAR that I saw last summer that really gave me the kick in the ass to get something of my own. I love the gasser / altered style, I haven’t decided 100% on what I’m planning for my Plymouth, but I’ve got one hell of an inkling to throw a tube axle in the front and resurrect an old hemi to get her movin.

As far as when? I’m not doing anything right now, and I just picked up 2 packs of Arcadia, so get your ass over here ;)

-----------------------------------------------------

Holy hell that was a long post - sorry for the novel, didn't want to leave people hangin' though ;)

-Daniel

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  18. hoodprop

hoodprop

I am in white lake currently working on a 53 f100. Your about 30 min away.

19. Harms Way

Harms Way

I don't think I have ever cared for you more,... than at this very moment !:D

Beaner !!!! They give you Meds !?!?!?!

I have to rely on good old PTSD,.... Works for me !:D

20. Harms Way

Harms Way

And one more thing,... I lived in Detroit and Detroit suburbs until 13 years ago when I moved my family to "Up North":D But my car club is still in Detroit so I get down there a couple times a month.

21. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

Meet n Greet is on the Saturday of Autorama at 1:00

22. Hack Attack

Hack Attack

I'm in Royal Oak, you're always welcome in my shop.....message me if you need a hand.

23. lahti35

lahti35

No car friends but at least you've got your dad, hell I don't even have that! He thinks all my old tin should be recycled into sinks/tin cans/stall doors, ie: something "usefull".

24. Yup, that was along one. Welcome the board. I kinda grew up on Mopar flathead sixes. I came home from the hospital in a 53 cranbrook. Almost came into this world in the back seat of that car!:D

25. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

26. voltaic

voltaic

Nice one, I'll definitely let you know when I'm in need of a hand, which I'm sure I will be at some point! Can you recommend any good engine shops around the area? I'm hoping to eventually turn the Plymouth into a gasser - don't see too many 53's around done up that way - but in the mean time I'm thinking about just rebuilding the flattie that's in the car right now, I think it's be fun to see what I can get out of that old mill, but I'd like to bore it out and maybe take a couple thousands off the deck.

Right on - I'll definitely be there.

Awesome, I love the old F100s - maybe you can tow me around when I undoubtedly break my car, rofl.

Too true! Just ask your dad if he can drive a kitchen sink to work though :D

Yeah it definitely was, I don't think I've wrote that much since school rofl.

Nice to hear that an old plymouth got you home safely, stop by if you're ever in Michigan for some memories haha.

27. voltaic

voltaic

So I've had a bit [too much] time to day dream about the Plymouth, and though I'd eventually like to turn it into a gasser, I'm thinking that in the mean time I'm just gonna have as much fun as possible with the car in its current configuration - and maybe rebuild the motor this winter, I'm sure my girlfriend will just LOVE it if I take the block in the basement and spend my winter nights porting the damn thing haha.

I'm wondering just how much power I could manage to get out of the ole L-6, thinking first step needs to be a split manifold and maybe a dual carb intake - loving the offy intakes you can pick up for these things, not loving the price of strombergs though.

28. Holley 94's will work just fine. I've got a bunch ready for rebuild.

29. clifforddean

clifforddean

I'm in New Baltimore.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

30. Voltiac,
    I am crotchety, I still prefer cigarettes to a pipe. I will sip whiskey with you while you have a beer, beer makes me a little anti-social I am afraid. But next time we have a chance should tip one or two.

If you are a rocket scientist I can understand you dilemma, when you are working you work 60+ per week and when you are not you sleep. ;)