Register now to get rid of these ads!

1954 Chevy Belair Fan Belt

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 54LedSled, Nov 20, 2012.

1. 54LedSled

54LedSled

I'm just finishing up my 12v conversion on my 54' 235. I was wondering if anyone was able to re-use the v-belt that was on the generator and use it with the new alternator. I have a simple GM 10SI 2 wire.

2. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Kinda depends on the pulley. The belt doesn't give a shit if it spins a generator or alternator. only that the pulley is the right width, pitch, depth.

3. 54LedSled

54LedSled

I understand, it looks like it will work, I know the earlier years had different size pulleys from the 53-54s, I measure when I get home just to be sure, I think it may be 3/8"??

4. Just put the belt on and see if it works. I don't know what year they changed it but some of the older (early '50s) had wide v belts. If that is the case you are going to have to come up with a plan.

5. HUSSEY

HUSSEY

Can one more person for KC chime in? My 52 had a 5/8 v-belt so I had to swap out the pulley on the alternator with a 5/8 pulley. Anything I've seen after that has been the the narrower belt. I thought they were 3/8 but the part desriptions on Rock Auto show them at 13/32.

If you give a good parts guy the width and length he can pull one for you. Unfortunatly, most dipshits that work the parts counters can only look up parts my applications. I was in a parts shop a couple of weeks ago and asked for 3/8 in. course threaded exhuast manifold studs, he looked at me with a huh on his face and said, whats the make, model, and year of the car so he could look it up.

6. 54LedSled

54LedSled

Thanks Hussey and everyone else, just for FYI...I went with a Gates 7435 and it fit my pulleys like a glove. Do not try to use the old belt it just isn't long enough. Even though National Chevy Assoc. states in there conversion guide you can. :/ Once I fired it up I will post to confirm its a good fit. This belt will work with 53 and 54 235 models.