Register now to get rid of these ads!

Let's Talk Cyclecars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bigcheese327, Dec 4, 2007.

1. UKAde

UKAde
    from Oxford UK

Dropped the second spring off at a local guy who build tricycles of the pedaling kind , he is an extoolmacker and has a great small workshop ,
    He managed to drill the spring without resorting to his spark eroder we discussed making a set of rear hubs to match the fronts I have and machining the rear axle to mount them ,

And also machining the kingpin part of the front axle and steering arms , he does have a waiting list for his bicycle stuff but says he may be able to fit me in this side of Christmas ,

I have now cut the two springs in half to make 4 quarter elliptic springs ,

I have also sold the chater lea cyclecar I have to finance the rest of the jappic project, the first purchase is going to have to be a new laptop to finish the drawings that need to be sent to the water jet cutting bloke ,

It's all coming together there even maybe a hint of the correct engine but I'm not getting too excited as so many leads have been fruitless on the engine side

2. chuxx

chuxx

Sounds like you're makin great progress, Ade. Keep it up and I hope the engine lead plays out in a positive way this time. Christmas is right around the corner!

3. LibertyV12

LibertyV12

Hello guys

what an awsome thread... been reading it and not getting much work done .... some lovely pic gives me loads of ideas..

At the moment am having a look at building a Briggs & Stratton Flyer replica..

any ideas on that type of wood to use as the chasis (floor boards)??????

:D:D:D

briggs-stratton_flyer_17_16.jpg

and found this pic on the web ... with no details .... but could be a blast to build or something close

6996821148_3f1139c212_o[2].jpg

4. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Where are you based, LibertyV12?

5. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Welcome to the HAMB cyclecare thread Liberty V12! They probably used ash for the frame of the little Red Bug.

BanjeauX Bob

6. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Here are some pictures from Angus Mitchell in Australia.He knows Onelung too.

Attached Files:

7. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

More from Angus...

Attached Files:

8. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

1922 Amilcar. Michael image...

Attached Files:

9. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Hinstin.Michael image...

Attached Files:

10. LibertyV12

LibertyV12

thanks for the info banjeaux bob ...

have also been told hickory is another very good wood to use ......

11. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Here is our own onelung's 1909 Sizaire et Naudin.It was one of the fastest and most consistent on the Tour De Fleirieu 2012. Angus pics...

Attached Files:

12. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

1925 Hotchkiss AM. Yes,I know it is a little larger than a cyclecar.It's a lovely car just the same.If you're struggling with this post scroll to the next one!Angus pic...

Attached Files:

13. onelung

onelung
    from Adelaide

Don't be too apologetic re the "cyclecar" thing Bob ... I'm interested to see that the 1100cc Amilcars were competing in the cyclecar category, whereas I view them as "light cars" (voitures legeres).
    The body work on that Hotchkiss was incredible ... made using Kauri timber, which is found in New Zealand and New South Wales/Queensland.
    Not to be confused with Karri - an altogether different beast.

Attached Files:

14. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Lung,thanks for those beautiful shots of the Hotchkiss!Were the strips glued only ,or were they riveted as well?

15. onelung

onelung
    from Adelaide

You're asking more than I can answer ... sorry Bob :eek:

16. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Years ago I was involved with a woman who made furniture. Those flush-plugged countersunk screw fixings are very much the sort of thing she might do.

17. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

#1 Tricycle Simo
    #2 Tricycle Gillet
    Marc pics...

Attached Files:

18. onelung

onelung
    from Adelaide

Now that Simo I like! Along with the earlier posted airscrew propelled "thing"...:D
    In passing, I've heard of a cyclecar which is somewhere here in Adelaide, Sth Oz. It was sighted in an establishment which does wicker furniture, etc. ....in the process of having a wicker body fitted. Never heard of the make before (that's not unusual for me) - "Beacon" ... listed in Georgano.
    If I can get to see it I'll pass on the news.
    Speaking of unheard-of car makes, at the recent National Veteran Rally in Queensland I was introduced to a Grout steam car.
    One of the pleasures of veteran motoring is that seemingly no matter how long one's involvement, "new" names still continue to come up.:)

19. Kume

Kume

Fascinating info - I shall have a closer look at the Kerikeri car when next I am up that way. I was wondering how you find driving your sizaire with the sliding Pillar suspension. I understanding that the constant track change can be disconcerting.

Attached Files:

20. noboD

noboD

That Simo looks like someone a molested David Bradley tractor. And I LIKE it.

21. onelung

onelung
    from Adelaide

Two points: as I suggested earlier, on anything other than a glass-smooth surface one would not think it had any suspension, front or rear (the unsprung weight involved there is about the same as the Sydney Harbour bridge).
    Second - what track change? So far as I can see there isn't such.:confused:

22. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Sliding-pillar arrangements with kingpin inclination will experience track changes: track will decrease under compression and increase under extension. The Sizaire's pillars seem close to vertical, however. There should be fair amount of scrub radius.

In roll the track would increase proportionally to the secant of the roll angle, which should be small with so stiff a spring rate, and moreover fairly gradual. That works on off-road VWs that have huge front-wheel travel, so I'd say it's not an issue.

23. onelung

onelung
    from Adelaide

"...The Sizaire's pillars seem close to vertical..."

They certainly are ... in both a lateral as well as a longitudinal sense. I think I'd need a micrometer to measure the change in track - or for that matter wheelbase, as there's stuff all camber as well.

And - "scrub radius" ... :confused:
    If this was taken into account when the front end geometry was "designed" by M. Sizaire I'd be somewhat surprised, 'though I might well be selling him short.

24. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Scrub radius: a front wheel will follow a circular path about a point on the ground when steered while the vehicle is standing still. "Scrub radius" is the radius of that circular path. It is zero when the kingpin axis goes through the middle of the tyre contact patch. While this would seem to be desirable geometrically it leaves one with zero steering feel, too: so one would want a little scrub radius. Too much scrub radius does become a problem under braking, though.

I doubt if M. Sizaire worried unduly about scrub radius, considering that the car had very narrow wheel assemblies no front brakes.

25. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

1926 Darmont Special. Vincent Vintage - Revival Montlhery pic...

Attached Files:

26. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Morgan burnout. Colin Musgrove pic.

Attached Files:

27. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Single cylinder Morgan.Colin Musgrove pic...

Attached Files:

28. onelung

onelung
    from Adelaide

Well that sorts out my mind-set that all Morgan 3 wheelers were V-twins!:eek:

29. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Lung,500 cc JAP engine.

BanjeauX Bob

30. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

This picture is from Joris Bergsma of www.prewarcar.com I have no idea what kind of car it is.It is fairly small.It has a boat tail.I like the top and wind up windows.

Attached Files: