Register now to get rid of these ads!

People in MI / Detroit area

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by voltaic, Nov 19, 2012.

1. voltaic

voltaic

Ok, time for me to be a total internet creeper...

Anybody around the Detroit area? I just got my new project this week and came to the stark realization that I essentially have no friends that give a shit about cars (my old man doesn't count...).

Clearly I need new friends.

Apologies if this is a totally ridiculous post, just thought I'd throw it out there - I can almost promise I'd rather drink a beer and talk shit than kill someone in an alley :rolleyes:

-Daniel.

2. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hang around here. You'll make friends. Maybe even some near you. We're all friends here. Well...at least when we're not kicking each other in the nuts...lol. Welcome, voltaic.

Now on a more serious note. If you and your dad like to work on cars together, he's your best friend...gauranteed. Call him "dad"...not "the old man". Does he call you "the young punkass" to his friends?...lol. Just sayin'.

3. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Btw...what's the new project? Always show pics if you can.

4. dmikulec

dmikulec

Too bad you're not closer, my shop door is always open, at least when I'm actually there.

Dave

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012

5. voltaic

voltaic

He really is my best friend, the guy taught me everything I know. Funny you should mention the name though, because I have no doubt that he calls me "the young punk ass" to his friends, haha.

And I definitely will hang around here, aside from the friend factor, there's an insane amount of knowledge around here!

As for the project, I just got my hands on a 53 Cambridge - I know it's not the most desirable car in the world, but that just makes it all the more desirable to me!

Attached Files:

6. voltaic

voltaic

Too bad indeed! The shop department is something I'm lacking in almost as badly as the friends department. Gotta work with what you got though I suppose.

Even being in KY, I might take you up on the offer if I'm ever in the area :D

7. Dtech

Dtech

Where in Michigan are you located?

8. voltaic

voltaic

I'm in Ferndale

9. Window Licker

Window Licker

There are alot of clubs around the detroit area. you'll definitely see them at traditional shows in the area, alot of great guys.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

10. metal man

metal man

Wear a HAMB shirt to the Autorama and hang out in the basement. Be sure to attend the meet and greet,which I think is Saturday afternoon. You'll make friends fast. Lot's of cool guys and girls from your neck of the woods there.

11. voltaic

voltaic

I actually went to the Autorama this year and talked to some nice guys who very well may be on the HAMB.

Which meet and greet are you talking about?

12. Dtech

Dtech

I'm in Saint Clair Shores work in Troy your not far from me.

13. voltaic

voltaic

Nice one - I'm always up for a beer if you're ever bored and feel like meeting strangers from the internet :cool:

14. metal man

metal man

There has been one at the Single Finger Speed Shop display in the basement in recent years. Not sure what time, but watch the upcoming Autorama threads for it.

15. .....Nothing wrong with that Plymouth. Looks pretty kool to me.:)

16. raidmagic

raidmagic

Alright first off I like the car, I'm a sucker for oddballs. Other than that too bad your so far up north, you seem like someone I could hang out with...I like the sense of humor.

17. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I'll be at Autorama with my wife and our Shoebox Ford. Look for a good lookin' blonde hanging out with a dirtball from Flint. That would be us!

18. I personally would rather kill someone but to each his own.

Face up to reality, you are a grown man and you are on your own.

19. Oh, beaner - not again...... :confused: ;)

Man, being down by Detroit, you are in the thick of things. Lots of car guys, clubs and HAMBers in that area.

I'm about an hour and a half north of there. I get down that way to see some of the guys and gals a few times a year like at Sins of Steel and Autorama.

I wish I was closer as there are not many guys up in my area that are into the traditional stuff.

20. jratz1966

jratz1966

kool plymouth,what your plans for it? I'm in Ortonville just North of you always have a project in garage,welcome to stop by anytime,Make sure you ck out the sins of steel car show in Davisburg,it's a good show and you'll meet a lot of kool people from the area.

Ratz

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  21. ............beaner, Take your meds.............please.:)

22. I use them for an excuse. :eek: :D

23. monc440

monc440

I'm over by MIS but work in AA.

I love that old Plymouth. My pops has a couple parts cars and a frame if you need anything. I think a 55 Dodge, 55 Plymouth and the frame is a 53 plymouth. I'm using the 270 Dodge engine in my 30 Plymouth build.

24. butch27

butch27

We have a club over in Westland (Memories in Motion) . We meet in the Spring - every Wed. at Mr. Mike's restraunt on Wayne rd. Oh - Good looking car.

25. 31-5window

31-5window
    from Michigan

Yeah, give it some time you will meet people seems like there is always something going on in your area. I am in Waterford, pick up a cruise news all kinds of good stuff in it. Very Kool project

26. Daniel,
    Cool little ride. My first car was a 54.
    Welcome from Lakeland.

27. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

Denise, Where are you, this guy needs some help from you !!!!!!!!!! Larry

28. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Grew up in Detroit & just moved here to Az. to escape Mi's. two seasons. Winter & July. Bit late now weather wise but I found car shows & cruises are the best place to meet like-minded car people. Met more than 1 car guy that we ended up helping each other on car stuff. I still hear from car people back there. Cool car!

29. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

53 Mopar eh?
    My dad has the one with the fluid drive (hydrostaic trans) pretty cool how it works

I know what your saying about having friends close that work on cars and stuff
    Im a bit of a ways from Ferndale, Im a step over the Michigan line to Ohio above Toldeo
    I dont fear beer or alleys

30. My closest friend that I have worked on cars with is an hour and a half away, I try to help him a couple of times a year, we talk once a month whether we need to or not. Most of my friends are dead I am afraid.

Here is the deal we are all strung out across the entire world, you have to learn to be independent. If I get stuck, I know I can get the information that I need right here from friends that I have never met, I can't call the Ol' Man anymore. When I have what I need, I know I am going to have to do it myself, and I know that I can, even when the Ol' man was around I still had to do it myself. That brings us back to being independent, you have to know within yourself that you can do it. None of this is rocket science, it is just nuts and bolts.