Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wet sanding edges

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by usmile4, Nov 17, 2012.

1. usmile4

usmile4

What are the secrets/tips you can give me when wet sanding near the edges of doors, wheel openings, hood, truck lid etc? How about around contours like around the windows quarter panels and such. I'm working on a 51 Chevy styleline.

2. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

I'd add one word to above post RED

3. usmile4

usmile4

When I'm set sanding say a door, do I stay away from the edge a distance and then use the red scotch pad on that part prior to using the buffer?

4. choptvan

choptvan

you mean wesanding BEFORE polishing then right? I think these guys thought you meant primer or to prep for paint.

5. I use a block and sand right up to the edge. Just sand flat, Don't sand over the edge.

6. wallygator

wallygator

Do not use scotch brite on your finished paint, wet sand about 1/2 away from the edges before polishing. Scotch brite only if you are putting more paint on.

7. usmile4

usmile4

that's right...wet sanding the clear before polishing. I just don't want to sand through the edges.

8. Jim P

Jim P
    from Tyler, TX

If there is enough material on it, I tape the opposite edge and wet sand with a block. When you run your buffer, hold at the angle to allow the pad to spin away from the edge. Example if you are doing a door tape the panel next to door such as a quarter panel and have the pad spin towards the quarter panel away from the door. Go light on the pressure and watch closely not to burn through.
    -Jim

9. DamnYankeesKustoms

DamnYankeesKustoms

A flexible body filler spreader, a rubber hose, a flexible rubber sanding block, gotta be creative... and of course scotch brite for pre-priming/painting prep...

10. If you are doing this before polishing, don't scuff the edge at all, stay 1/4" away

11. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

work wiyh lots of water and use wery low pressuer onthe sanding block . Use some good light so you can seewhat you are doing and look often.

12. ADReese

ADReese
    from spokane

I like to use light guide coat on clear when wet sanding. This enables you to "block" the car one last time and in this scenario will help you keep track of the material remaining while removing the imperfections.

13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Dang I like that idea.

14. Use several coats of clear, then I like using 2000 grit sand paper. You also don't need a super coarse polish to bring the shine back.

15. hoof22

hoof22
    Member Emeritus

Using a contrasting guide coat is a GREAT idea, I always do so. On the edges, if you're worried about sanding through on the very edge, tape the very edge of the panel with 1/4" masking tape. It will give just enough protection for finer grits, (like 1,000g-1,500g). And, NEVER SAND BARE HANDED. If you want it straight when sanding primer, always use a block. If you want it smooth, and knock all the peel off, always use a block. AND, use lots of clean water. Everyone has their favorites, but in my opinion, these are hands down the best sanding blocks for WET color sanding prior to polishing: (from Motor Guard, available at any good auto body supply, & most NAPA stores)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  16. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Tape all the sharp edges, and don't wet sand them at all! Then remove the tape after you've wet sanded and buffed the adjacent areas, and do a final buffing.

17. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Ok so we are color sanding NO SCOTCH BRITE, sorrya s I misunderstood your question. I'd tape off the last 1/4 inch before buffing. What paper are you using for the final sand? 2000 ?

18. Tin Can

Tin Can

I taped off all my edges, when I got to using 3000 grit I unmasked it and sanded a little into the taped areas to flow out the sanding into those areas, 3000 doesn't do much just knock down the orange peel and makes it buff super easy.

19. usmile4

usmile4

I'm starting with 1000, then 1500, then 2000 all by hand and then I have some 3000 for the DA.

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

Hopefully you were the guy that shot the paint and put enough on those areas. Worst thing in the world is wetsanding another guys spray paint work. Bob

21. usmile4

usmile4

I'm not the guy who shot it...that has been a problem with this job!

22. usmile4

usmile4

So I got to the two doors today. I had a couple of runs in the clear on the doors so I figured I would start there. I taped off the edges and did the 1000 wetland. It went fine with the exception of one spot on the bottom of each door that I will need to reshoot as my painter apparently didn't get the color or clear on very good on those areas. Thanks for the tips on the masking as it saved me I'm sure from having to do more repainting!