Register now to get rid of these ads!

Battery cable gauge

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by upspirate, Nov 17, 2012.

1. upspirate

upspirate

What gauge battery cable should I use on my re-wire? #2?

I have a SBC with a chrome one wire alt with no amp output markings,but don't think it's a high output one.Basic electrical system with no air or power accessories, no electric cooling fan,no radio (may put a "normal" one in later,no thumper stuff)

From the battery to the starter,the cable is approx 60"

I will be crimping the terminals on and I've not found any crimp-on ends that go on the battery posts....do they make such a thing, or do I need to use the stupid bolt on cable saver type replacement ends?

2. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Four gauge is common, but I would use #2 gauge battery cables minimum on 12 V systems.
    I use marine battery post adaptors (with a stud and wing nut) that accept crimped copper ring terminals. No tools are required to install/remove cables, and additional power/ground wires can be easily added. :)

3. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

5 feet is a pretty long battery cable! I'd go to the welding supply store and have them make up a heavy cable from whip lead. The heavier the cable the less the resistance and you will have good starting even on the hottest days. If the battery is under the seat, run the shortest distance to the block/trans for the ground cable. Remember the electricity goes through both cables. The shorter and heavier the cable the better.

4. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

I would think 4 gauge is more than enough, not that it hurts to go with 2. I'd hit up a local stereo shop for the wire and terminals you need.

5. garcoal

garcoal

3/0 go to complete overkill right off the bat. why wonder if you went to small when you can be certain you went to big. have 3/0 on my tbird and my sons nova. thier will be no issues with to big, but will be with to small