Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration >>>>>Friday Before Thanksgiving ART SHOW<<<<<

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jigger, Nov 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neat chop top (sorry...:eek::))

BTW - killer avatar chair! Perfect for a prison cut!

2. I Drag

I Drag

Thanks Spoggie!

3. Del Swanson

Del Swanson
    from Racine, WI

Great show guys! Here is this year's Pinstripe legends Sign.

This is the concept sketch.
    [​IMG]

This is the overall sign.
    [​IMG]

..and this is a close-up of the artwork. I hope we can sell out. We only make about 300.
    [​IMG]

4. That is KILLIN' me Del...

5. Apparently it's important the man/rat fink/rebel must uniformly be bigger than the car. The rebellious one must be depicted in a rigorously uniform format. Same angle, same proportions, same teeth, same eyeballs, same shifter location. Yawn.

6. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

7. So.... you won't be checking back? Okay.

8. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Del...OFF the Chart!

I NEED one of them!!!

9. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Pretty Stoked at the moment..a fellow Hamber and I have done some limited french linen stretcher frames...... hanging in his Gallery.

We will have a total of 12 unique pieces in a series.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

Fantastic work everyone. I haven't been on one of these for a few weeks, and I've missed out. Thanks for the inspiration folks! Most of what I've been doing has been paid for shoots so I don't have anything to share, hopefully I'll have something worthy of being called art soon to share. Keep up the killer work folks!

11. realkustom51

realkustom51

Killer show everyone! As per usual a customcory floor scrap.

[​IMG]

12. Simply Amazing.....There's an awful lot of enviable, mind-boggling Talent on the FAS, but you are in a league of your own....you need to slap yourself for being as good as you are......

13. Not sure why you'd think that, since there's plenty of imaginative, original, well-executed stuff to appreciate here, such as the first guy who brought tentacles and aliens here, also Gary C. , Norwell, Allison, Marjoram, custom cory, and the like. Just tired of the tired old stuff thatby now is more craft than art. It may have been some kind of rebellious fifty years ago, but now it's some kind of geezer sacrament.

14. seeya32

seeya32
    from emporia,ks

15. Loads of goodness here this week, sacramental or not.
    Something I did this week.

[​IMG]

16. Heck, Customcory does it again. Muira meets Starlite.

Jeff Norwell, those look great, BIG great!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  17. awsome. what do you mean by "knife carved"?

18. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

carved from a block of aluminum by hand and knife, not cast or shaped by power tools. Thanks for the kudos

19. Here ya go northern skink... no hard feelings brother...
    (Geezer sacrament? Too young to be soooo cynical... happy Thanks giving man.)

(hope the rig in the thought bubble isn't too cliché he-he-he......)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  20. If that was directed at me.........it's an opinion, and due credit was given to everyone who contributes.......Centurion9

"Simply Amazing.....There's an awful lot of enviable, mind-boggling Talent on the FAS,................:

21. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Feel free to post your work showing how you think it should be done.

22. Thanks man!

Hey Doc., thank you too.

23. stinsonart

stinsonart

Here's an old cartoon I did back in the '80s for ISCA. Have a safe holiday.

Bill Stinson

[​IMG]

24. Del Swanson

Del Swanson
    from Racine, WI

It's okay to feel that way. It's your opinion. Lord knows I've voiced mine here on the FAS (and maybe that has something to do with your opinion). I agree to a certain point that images such as this one are kinda cliche. Every cliche though has a kernal of truth, and there has always been something about that style that takes me back to when I was a kid. The reason I picked this kind of image, is this year I am able to do anything I wanted. In all of the previous years, The signs have been on the conservative side of cartoons. I've allways loved the Roth/Newton monster shirts, and because we never did this style, I thought it would be fun, and it was!
    So, thank you for the critique. I'm always up for constructive criticism, because I allways up for improving on my skillset.
    Thanks

25. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

Jeff, the program looks really cool!.....But your stop watch looks like "borrowed" original art of the old "san deigo timing assc decal" Which is No problem As long as you had permission to Use the artwork, But if you just copyed and changed the name on the stop watch and are claiming it as your own, That is not cool.....I hope that is not the case here, because You As a artist yourself Should Know how much hard work is put into original design and drawing, No pun intended here, But I did not see in your post where you are giving any credit to the original artist or artwork that was done long before You were Born.

Attached Files:

26. Must slap N.Ozols on the back for the graphite approach with the neat kustom VOLGA.

I'm gonna work on this..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  27. Wild Willy

Wild Willy

I've been sitting in the weeds for a year or so, and view the Friday art show on a regular basis, and contribute some of my humble work whenever I can. First, let my say that the level of talent here is off the charts, and worthy of all the accolades that it rightfully deserves, and my aim here is not to be overly critical, but merely making an observation by an outsider that is not in the "in crowd." It appears to me that there's a small group of artists that converse with each other weekly, patting each other on the back, and showering compliments to one another about how outstanding their weekly contribution is, all the time ignoring everyone else. I've seen many a pieces go by unnoticed by the "in crowd" with hardly a comment to encourage newbies to come back the following week with something else. And, I'd have to agree with the guy that complained about the "sameness" (as good as the art is) that seems to appear week after week. The show seems to becoming a show-and-tell for this small, tight-knit group only, thus discouraging many new people from entering, after viewing this weekly trend.
    I've read some comments from former contributors to the Friday art show on some other forums, and it seems that this belief is shared by more individuals than myself. All I'm trying to say here is stop treating this as a "private" art show, and start to recognize lots of other very good artwork that's passing you by with out even noticing it.

28. Nothing private about it. I have seen these guys encourage new talent, and give honest, sincere critique. Heck, the artist group isn't even private. All you have to do is join in. Take a look back through the art archives and you will see what I am talking about. This isn't a feel good, pat on the back venue.

There's my 2c

BTW, Del...Kickin artwork, cliche or not. I used to collect those stickers as a kid, and dig the style. Heck, next thing you know, they'll be calling the Calori Coupe Cliche'.

29. I'd hate this to be a private backslap club. This is the only outlet for hot- rod art fools that's worth a damn. Me, I'm a homeless, penniless bum of the art world. This is my half- way house.
    There's no big- wigs here. Not even the few pros.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.