Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wildest automotive engine concept?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by exwestracer, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Graham M

Graham M
    from Calgary AB

Same here. Those figures are incredible for its era. I cant even imagine qualifying (or at least attempting too) with a 1300hp engine of that characteristic powering a go-cart of a car.

Good lord that thing is a gem.

2. Dapostman

Dapostman

Duesenberg W24 Duesenberg.jpg

3. Wow, that looks just like the drawing of the Miller W24 that I mentioned earlier...

4. Dapostman

Dapostman

Duesesnberg built them for marine racing in the 30s. I wish I knew more about them, but I did hear they were a bear to tune. I don't know if they have any connection to the Miller engine or not, but I do think it would look bitchin in a rod.

5. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Even though it was only used in sport bikes, Honda's oval piston NR750 from the late 70's was a serious departure from the norm.
    [​IMG]

And a drawing the Chrysler 30 cylinder mentioned above.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  6. [​IMG]

The Taylor X24. 1702 Cu In. 1000 HP naturally aspirated, up to 2000 supercharged in 1942!
    4 banks of 6 cylinder set 90 degrees apart

7. [​IMG]
    The Rootes TS3 is a high-speed, two-stroke, three-cylinder, six-piston diesel engine. It uses two horizontally opposed pistons to generate compression and ignition in each cylinder. The TS3 engine used a single crankshaft beneath the cylinders, each piston driving it through a connecting rod, a rocker bellcrank and a second connecting rod. The crankshaft had six crankpins and there were six rockers The 3.5L engine produced a respectable 135hp and 335 lb-ft of torque.

8. And then there was this;
    [​IMG]
    England’s Lanchester Motor Company was founded in 1899. The firm’s Lanchester Ten, introduced a year later, featured an air-cooled, twin-crankshaft, 4.0-liter flat-twin driving the rear wheels. One crank lived above the other, and each piston had three connecting rods—two light outer ones and a heavier one in the center. The light rods went to one crank, the heavy rods to the other, and the two shafts counterrotated. The result was 10.5 hp at 1250 rpm and a remarkable lack of vibration. If you’ve ever wondered what engineering elegance looks like, this is it.

9. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

How about 455" aluminum block, 4 valve per cylinder, double overhead cam Olds Rocket.

Attached Files:

10. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Lycoming R-7755. 36 cylinder water cooled over head cam 5000 hp turbocharged radial.

11. Algon

Algon

Not the wildest but the 68' 427 Pontiac aluminum Hemi was cool with the arrowhead shaped aircleaner.

12. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I worked on a few CanAm cars,not the hated 917's,I and others hated them cus they did indeed kill CanAm with $$$$$$$. Actuly it was a lot of $$$ already,but 917's upped it by X4.
    It was bound to happen I guess,but it was 917's that did it.
    Hell of a great engineering jump,other didn't have it.

13. Wow...

14. realkustom51

realkustom51

Not saying its a dream engine but what ever happened to the Bourke Engine. I read on the net the builder still lives in Maine. I also read that a small 2 cylinder 30 cu in version produces 118 hp at 15,000 rpm's. Also that the US Military considered testing it using hemp oil. It was on the net so I assume they check thier facts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Dapostman

Dapostman

The Enterprise Monovalve Diesel; four stroke, flathead, one valve for both intake and exhaust. monovalve diesel.jpg

16. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Bork was from Santa Rosa California. He died about 40 years ago. His engine used a "Scotch Lock" type of rod/crank interface. Not the first one. In '55 it seemed to have promise. Never seemed to happen.

17. 62rebel

62rebel

wow, indeed! ask the right question and look what you guys provide....

18. Algon

Algon

I've always wanted a Coates spherical rotating valve conversion but the general design I believe is from the 20's.

A friend designed and built his own head of this type for a Briggs and Stratton 5hp just to see if it would work who had never heard of it before. The 5hp even with billet parts quickly demolished itself before the head ran out of air. He always wanted to do a V8 version, well up until I told him about Coates.

19. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Jocko's engine design was pretty cool he brought a prototype to my uncles for my pop and uncle to check out a few years back.

20. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

-----------------
    Apparently Studebaker also tested
    an experimental 'straight 9' engine
    sometime during the late-20's or
    early-30's, as well. It was supposed
    to have been an extremely smooth
    running engine - the whole reason
    for building an inline 9 - but for
    various reasons, it never made it into
    production. Does anybody have any
    pics or other info on the Studebaker
    straight 9??

Mart3406
    ================

21. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Man... new favorite thread. Some really cool stuff here.

22. MBog

MBog

What about Bill Philips rotary valve BAD Hemi. I saw it years ago and I think it actually ran. There's pics somwhere...

23. GMCTwin Six

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  24. Ahh, back from the dead I see...
    Well, I'll toss in a pic of that GM rotary radial I mentioned earlier.
    [​IMG]

25. brad chevy

brad chevy

This beats them all and working engine.:cool:

Attached Files:

26. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The crankshaft was bolted to the frame of the car. It had 5 air cooled cylinders that stuck out like petals on a flower. The cylinders spun around the crankshaft as the engine ran.

Some aircraft radials from WW1 and earlier worked the same way. They were called rotary engines, the ones with static cylinders and moving crankshaft were called radial.

http://www.century-of-flight.net/new site/frames/rotary engines_frame.htm

27. Dunstan out of Australia built a running 200 hp rotary valve engine for Holden in the 50's.

28. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Hell, the truck has to have a pretty good engine just to move that thing. :p

29. Rah Rah Records

Rah Rah Records

[​IMG] How about a sleeve valve engine?