Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects on the bandwagon Heyitsnate's 36 5w build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by heyitsnate, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Don't sell yourself short...I have seen your work 1st hand, and it is good brother!

2. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

This is pretty sweet build thread,keep up the good work!

3. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

some updates and a word about direction. i will probably lose some people here, but i've decided to put an early sbc and auto trans in this car. various reasons mostly, i don't feel i have to explain. i have built period perfect pre-war cars, and this will not be one. the aesthetic i'm going for is a mid to late 50's build, not an early custom that birthed future styles, but a transitional custom so to speak. lately i've been digging 50's customs with metallic paint,white upholstery, white wall tires, and some seemingly leftover westergard-ish touches such as narrowed grill, lowered headlights etc. on to the work! i started repairing this crumply fender. started with some thorough hammer and dolly work, then shrinking the stretched areas with a disc from metalfaber here on the hamb. i will be repairing the lip sections with pieces of an old vw bug fender. there's some surprising similarities!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

reagen likes this.
  4. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

after i got sick of that, i started about laying the groundwork for my floors. i stole this countersink trick from streetrodder premium...fancy!!!
    [​IMG]
    i cut a back section from the floors i got from nitrohonkey to get a visual reference of layout from where the subrails i made end.
    tall pieces at the front seat cross piece,getting flatter towards the back,similar to stock.titus helped me a lot figuring out a plan,thanks man!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    just moving back ,adding stuff, the driveshaft tunnel will taper in a bit towards the front, and i'm using 1/2x1/2 angle as the inside pieces parallel to the subrails. the tunnel should be pretty easy to attach to it. also mounted my pedal. i found a 39 assembly on the hamb classifieds with the clutch pedal cut off. perfect for my gay automatic transmission!!!

5. draider

draider
    from Texas

Lookin good Nate!

6. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

here's where i'm at now. hopefully this week will see some floor pans at least laid out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. koolkemp

koolkemp

I really like the way you are doing this car, and am looking forward to seeing this come together ! Will be a good reference when I start mine :eek:

8. Looks good Nate!

9. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

got some more work done on the front fender...it was cracked and repaired in 2 places
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i was given some vw bug fenders. the thickness, lip roll and parts of the radius were really close, so they had to die. all i really had to do was form the patches on a dolly to match the fender crown.
    [​IMG]

10. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

not too bad.
    [​IMG]
    now it's pretty much all straightened out. i was worried the side profile would not go back to normal easily, but it did!
    [​IMG]

11. Wow nice work man, your metal work is awesome!

12. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

thanks for the complements guys! some more work on the floor substructure, just making all the pieces interlock before welding,you know...for some added stremf.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Working out well! I like what you are doing Nate...please keep up the posts!

14. Workmanship looks great. About the same place on my 36 build. Will have to keep an eye on this. Keep up the good work.

15. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

thanks! i saw a pic of your 36 in ryans latest post...looks like you're about a year ahead of me! your car looks great!

16. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

i built the rear subrail sections, at this point they will graft onto the stock rear subrails, they're good.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

then i finished the subfloors up to where the trunk riser is.
    [​IMG]

18. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

next i cut the panels for the rear floor pans, after which i made a paper template with bead locations and marked them. i have a crappy hf planishing hammer i don't use except now. i pre-stretched the bead areas with it, then rolled the beads the opposite way and ba-bam...the panels flattened out very nicely. goodgarb helped me roll the beads, and we had to stop in the middle or risk certain wife trouble :eek:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Build looks real nice. Good to talk with you today. I will be happy to have one of my parts on your hotrod.(Henrys actually) It should work out perfectly for you.

20. titus

titus

Its looking realy good, time to put the body on!

21. poorboy

poorboy

22. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

thanks guys, and thanks dale, i agree. it's perfect. also thanks to sinister custom for bringing his bead roller over.

23. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

It's comin' along great!!! Keep up the good work!!!

24. Thanks for sharing. Hope you dont mind if I try to copy your subrails and floor. Was just in your hood visiting my family. Thought about looking you up and seeing your awesome work in person. Instead I focused on staying warm and dry!

25. tbauer

tbauer

Looks great Rock on !

26. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

pulled an all niter at the shop and started splitting my bones. i made 2 fixtures. one to hold the axle in place but still be able to move the bones up and down. mounted them from bungs on my perch pins...and another to note the position of the spring perches to know where to move them back to after splitting.
    [​IMG]
    then i split the bones, installed the bungs and flipped the frame over and put in the trans and motor, and tacked one side in. then i pulled the motor, flipped the frame back over and made a triangle to locate the other side.
    [​IMG]
    sorry,not a lot of pics. it was 3 am! i decided to table the idea of heating the spring mounts until a reasonable hour. we were so tired from working on my car, a model T, and an el camino, but we just had to roll some beads for the floors and test fit them at 4:30 am.we were too tired to flip the frame back over.
    [​IMG]

27. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

28. Looks great. Did the steering column show up yet? Hope it arrived safely.

29. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

yes! and i could'nt be happier- thanks Dale!

30. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

little progress....i made this dimple die from an old tattoo machine grip and a piece of channel.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    then i made the trunk riser panel, and made a hammerform for the exhaust clearance cutouts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]