Register now to get rid of these ads!

Navarro 8-barrel Stromberg 48 carb !!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Abomination, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Abomination

Abomination

I saw the below as a link off the Stromberg Bulletin:
    http://www.stromberg-bulletin.com/navarro-stromberg4-carb/

It's 8/31/12. After puzzling over it a while, I figured I'd post it up here. Maybe one of you guys have a clue as to it's origins. If anybody knows, it's gonna be someone on here!

Navarro 8-barrel Stromberg 48 carb !!

Talk about innovation! We all know the great Barney Navarro was a genius when it came to making flathead motors go faster, and this is yet another example of why. Talk about thinking outside the box.

[​IMG]

We honestly don’t know a lot (anything!) about this carburetor. But we are told it was built in 1948 using four back-to-back Stromberg 48s siamesed together with a common machined alloy base plate (it’s got no cast iron bases). Check out the extra/relocated arms on the accelerator pump fulcrum levers, sticking right up in the air. By linking them together across the top of the carb, the left hand pump rods can transmit the pump action to the right hand venturis. Looks like he made some super-long throttle shafts to join four barrels together in line, with one controlled by the pedal and the other (maybe a secondary?) with a torsion spring wrapped around the end of the shaft. And what about that fuel system! Looks like all the inlets are linked, and what are those pipes on the centre drain plugs underneath?!

This one-off piece came via Don Ferguson to the collection of Australian ‘friend of Stromberg’, Graeme Raper and is currently with our buddy Max Musgrove for full restoration with new Stromberg service parts. At the moment we only have these pics to go on, but we’ll be reporting back as this baby gets more attention. Anybody got any more input for us? Please?!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Abomination

Abomination

[​IMG]

"I made this in my diabolical machine works, just to fuck you up 60+ years later. Bwa ha ha haaaaaa..."

~Barney

DrewModelA likes this.
  3. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

Pure Genius at its most basic , I'd like to see a "TV Hot Rod Hero " try this today :) , we all know nothing !!!! I look forward to Max's restoration & a test run of this monster.

4. Abomination

Abomination

Hopefully, Max will chime in, and if Graeme doesn't care, post up a few pics!

~Jason

5. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Holy cow that's awesome. I see it parked on top of a blown flatty.....

6. dad-bud

dad-bud

Sure it hasn't been Photoshopped?
    It sure is an awesome idea and looks bitchin'. I bet it'd flow some big numbers

7. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Does the common baseplate turn it into a "single carburator"?

I'm guessing it was done to get around some sanctioning body's rule.

8. uncle max

uncle max
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Truly an exercise in exquisite tedium... Hope to make Barney proud!

stillrunners likes this.
  9. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I had seen a pic of this before, in an old article when someone interviewed Barney Navarro.
    I have it somewhere, Barney was relating some comparisons with Offie & Weiand heads: versus his own. Lots of info on 'Squish' and 'quench'.

A few pics of his roadster and some of his machinery, lengthy text. GREAT read.

10. Abomination

Abomination

I know you will!

I'd love to see the innards.

~Jason

11. Does the 6 bolt base pattern match up to a gmc blower ?

jimmy six likes this.
  12. Abomination

Abomination

I wondered that, too...

~Jason

13. alchemy

alchemy

There's a old red A roadster with a carb like that on it. I swear Ryan did one of his journal entries on it.

14. Abomination

Abomination

Maybe he'll chime in, too. :)

~Jason

15. backyardbeliever

backyardbeliever

I swear i have seen this on a 471 in one of my OLD mags!

16. I was thinking 4/71 as well. Pattern is too square for a 6/71.

I'm thinking it had to be a solution to fitting 4 carbs on top of the blower inlet.

17. I was thinking 4/71 as well. Pattern is too square for a 6/71.

I'm thinking it had to be a solution to fitting 4 carbs on top of the blower inlet.

18. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I was looking into this - not sure if I had seen this pic and been inspired or not - but I was interested because they'd fit on a 4-71 blower top...that project got sidelined for a while anyway.

19. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

Foaming at the mouth

20. Speaking of foaming at the mouth...NICE avatar!

21. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

these rare old speed parts are so badass, its awesome to see some of the parts guys made back then. nothing but some mechanical know how and a desire to haul ass ! sweet man

22. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

23. [​IMG]

Slightly different.

24. nitro29

nitro29

I think maybe Ak Miller as used on his Mexican 27 T roadster as he described in an article just a thought

25. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

I first thought it was the setup on Tom Beatty's roadster but when I went back to look they looked more like aviation carbs . It sure is cool. I have see it before posted on the hamb. However, this time I finally saved the photos. Thanks

26. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

Sam Parriott's kurtis ran a supercharged olds and on top of the supercharger are 4 97's pruned and look just like the ops pic. I need to find a pic now

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  27. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

Old post but, any more info on this setup? Wondering what the advantage of siamesing the carbs is? 2 strombergs face to face have roughly the same foot print as a 371 opening, so I cant see it being for that reason. The one piece base plate probably allowed the top line of the carbs to be lower, since you wouldnt have a adapter. Also may have simplified the linkage.