Register now to get rid of these ads!

old pre-mopar speed parts for plymouths?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tred, Nov 15, 2012.

1. tred

tred

here's a good question, has anyone ever made any speed goodies for the old plymouth/dodge flat head straight six engines?

i seem to remember a number of years ago seeing a finned head for that engine, but my research now comes up empty.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

tred.

2. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Edmunds made heads and intakes, Fenton made headers and mallory made distributors for those engines

3. tred

tred

right in, i knew it. thank you paul.
    i guess what i should have asked is does anybody have any leads on these items...

4. cakes

cakes

edgy makes great stuff, i had an offy intake with 2 2s and an edgy head on my 50 plymouth before I got rid of it. Really made a difference I bought both off of egay. Keep your eyes open

5. tred

tred

that's the one!

thank you guys! i'll call edgy today.

6. 41 C28

41 C28

Mopar speed equipment from a 1953 Bell Auto Parts catalog Show a Edmunds finned high compression head for Chrysler, DeSoto, DeSoto and Plymouth....$54.

Attached Files:

hitek likes this.
  7. tred

tred

wow, i would give somebody double what they paid for one of those today! :D

8. murfman

murfman

Langdon's Stovebolts makes cast iron split exhaust manifolds and sells a GM HEI distributors from a 4.3 that bolts on as well. The Offy intake is still available new.

9. tred

tred

hmmm...
    thanks for the tip murfman, now you've really got me thinking...

10. the dizzy is rad!i like earls intake better just because you put 94's or 97's on it. and you won't see a ton of them..

11. tred

tred

are you running one now?

are there any pitfalls i should watch out for if i get one, or can i just bolt it on and start burnin' rubber?

12. my car has a sbc so no. i never could get it to time right when i was younger so i put a sbc in it. i have two club members that run them and they are very nice. just make sure you order the external coil so you don't have a hei hanging off the side of your motor.

13. vintage power wagon in iowa sells a performance cam and springs. its also a good idea to have the rotor slyle oil pump they sell that to. pertronics sells a ignition kit for the stock dist. also available from vintage power wagon. i ran a edgy head in stock form then milled off 60 thous ran even better sounded better to. ran stellite valves because they could handle more heat. the stockers would burn with todays fuels. another vintage power wagon item. i also ported the block. there is a book out there how to restore your dodge truck. in the back they have a performance chapter i found very helpfull. i went from running a totally stock 1940 vc pickup running 54 mph. in 24.9 sec to running 17.1 at 78 mph. seven sec. and 24 mph. is what i got out of my modifications. also ran a s-10 five speed. i did eventually break the stock rear end with a 4:10. i put in a 8/34 out of my kids super bee. it was almost a bolt in just had to exchange spring mounts and drive shaft needed to be made.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  14. 73RR

73RR

There is a Tech Thread here on the Hamb as well as over at www.p15-d24.com showing how to modify and use the Mopar electronic from a slant 6...

Olddaddy can set you up with split manifolds.

15. tred

tred

i kinda started at the back and am working my way forward, the rear on my '50 plymouth convertible is a mercury rear, i comfortably cruise the freeways at 80 mph now. i miss my big block chevy and wanna go faster, but with this car i am trying to keep within the confines of the stock engine 'cause you just don't see many of them any more, but i wanna do some period correct speed upgrades.
    does that make sense?...

16. iamdiffrnt

iamdiffrnt

Sounds exactly perfect for this forum. :)

17. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

edmunds, tattersfield, ellis, thickstun, fenton and offy made dual carb intakes (offy still does and are available from several sources) Edmunds and Fenton made finned aluminum heads. Some are still available for big bucks on e pay and at swap meets.

there are several sources for split stock style intakes, you can still find factory (made in 56/7) twobarrel carb intake, and the exhaust minifold is easily split at the heat riser area. reds makes headers, and if you contact forum member Moose, he fabricates welded tubing intakes and exhausts. So lotsa stuff. Stock heads can be milled .090 and still run regular gas. Mallory did make a dual point dist. make sure you specify that you are working on a 23 1/2 inch Dodge Plymouth motor not a 25 inch chrysler Desoto engine.

18. tred

tred

good point, thank you.

the plymouth already has a 2 carb. setup and a split exhaust manifold running true dual exhaust. i figured the next logical step was a shaved head, but i had no idea there were so many options for the distributor, wow!

19. Shoprag

Shoprag

The only thing you would need is a finned head to make that thing super cool. When me and my friends built that car I bought an Edmunds dual intake with 2 carters, finned side covers and stovebolt split exhaust. Maybe I'll post some pics of it tomorrow!!!! I'm glad you are still enjoying it Tred!!!

20. Shoprag

Shoprag

Do you have any pics of the build??? For some reason I do!!!
    Sorry not tryin to be a jerk, I let the mag article slide but I'm not gonna let you claim on here you built my old car! I have friends that helped me build this car that you're
    claiming you did! That's just wrong!

If you check my profile you'll see build pics!!!
    Sorry Tredboy!!!

21. hitek

hitek

depends what specifically you are looking for. The plymouth and dodge (car) is the flathead six made in detroit, or commonly known as the short block (23 1/2" where the dodge trucks, chrysler, desoto or canadian built dodge and plymouths, use big blocks (25 1/2") flatheads. Today we make triple carb intakes for the big block. All alunimum,with way better performance specs compared to the ultra rare \edmunds triple. We use it one out rear engine dragster which you can see on youtube. We also take original intakes for both small and big blocks and split them into dual or triple intakes, and we split exhaust or make headers from original exhausts. We have custom cam's cut for both small and large blocks, mild to wild and I mean wild. Our dragster with a 265 ci flathead bored .125 turns over 7200 rpm. We do have access to forged racing pistons (although they are crazy expensive) and we rebuild overdrives for the late 30's up to the late 50's mopars. We will be at spring carlisle and chrysler carlisle if your around and want to drop by and I can send you pictures etc.

Tim

AoK Racing - Asche Mechanical
    Fertigs, PA

22. hitek

hitek

23. COUPES

COUPES
    from England

WOW Tim!! That looks wild, nice!! Would you use a stock crank in the dragster? Are their any problems with straight 6 blocks? Thanks for the vids too.

24. hitek

hitek

Well we have made a few modifications. drilled oil galleys, ground it and chromed it because we are spinning over 7200 rpm. But the rock stock flathead 6 cranks are incredible. We have several family and friends cars, spinning well above 5500 rpm and no issues with basically stock cranks. We check, but from the factory they are almost always perfectly balanced.

Thanks for the comment. It was a project started by a conversation at Chrysler Carlisle with my late father Eddy Kingsbury, best buds George Asche, his boys and myself. "we should make a modern improved edmunds triple since the price of 1500-2500 is crazy for a used one"... which then became... "if we do that, lets build a new dragster'.. well new to us..
    With a little help from Dad, George and my engineering buddies, and Bartone racings rear engine dragster sort of "falling into our hands"..

The conversation became reality, and the residue was two runs for a total of 25 of the AoK racing flathead triple intakes for the Chrysler/Desoto/Dodge truck 6 cylinder and one sweet "corvette killer".

I think between family and friends and Chrysler Carlisle word of mouth, most of the intakes are gone. But the Velociraptor is alive and well, and at some point beside vintage racing we find/get a different gear set for the strange rear end and take it to the salt flats and end the flathead ford rein.

We say end, because we know with the current setup we can break the world flathead record right now. Give us a better gear ratio and several miles, its going to be beat it by a mile.

As well, there is no NOS, it runs on high octane gas, and 3 customized carter ball and ball carbs with around 2760 cfm

25. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

7200 RPM that's crazy, what stroke crank? Where in Ontario are you?

26. COUPES

COUPES
    from England

l wish you luck beating the record Tim. Thankyou for that info. I thought 5500 rpm was alot but 7200!!! When will you run it? Sorry for the loss of your dad. Just amazed that little 6 can be so cool.

27. hitek

hitek

the stock crank is a 265 ci crank. typically found in 1952 - 1954 chysler windsors,
    or 1952 or newer Dodge 1 1/2 ton and heavier trucks or 1953- i think 1956 desotos.

I live in campbellville, ontario. The car lives with my Dad and my good Friend George Asche in Fertigs (venus) PA.

28. hitek

hitek

Should be on the track this summer. The salt flat not sure. Actually the flathead 6 mopar is a breeze to get it at 5500 rpm. I think we have 3 different cams available that can meet or exceed that.

Thanks for the comment. My Dad had a great life, and while he just missed making 80 years old and I miss him every day, we had an incredible amount of fun, trips, and projects together and he taught me so much about so many things including performance mopars (from flatheads to hemis) that he still lives on !

But on the flathead 6, while I do have a 1970 challenger with a 426 hemi, the 6's are way more fun for the dollar, and so what I tend to think first about driving is my 1941 or 1949 business coupe.

29. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

just found this one today
    [​IMG]