Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

Chuck - I believe this is the Chapman car I was thinking about? Looks to be a 348/250 with single 4GC carb

2. lawman

lawman

Gosh, Those are GREAT pics.

3. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

Obviously, Herman did build a "W" motored Super Stocker although I don't recall ever seeing it run on the west coast. We were all scrambling in 1972, trying to find a place to compete with cars that suddenly had no place to go. Even with my limited knowledge of 348 motors, I'd have to say that he probably had a tough job getting around the plethora of small blocks that responded more positively to the modifications permitted under Super Stock rules. We were busy cutting down tunnel ram manifolds to fit under the hoods of '56 and '57 Chevys just to run those very same classes.

Herman's '69 Chevelle small block entries were substantially more competitive.

c

4. 270283

Got my copy of the Doug Boyce Junior Stock book from Amazon a few days ago. If you are reading this thread you will enjoy this book. Lots of photos and great narrative.

5. AHotRod

AHotRod

Keep the stories and pictures coming folks, best of the HAMB right here!

6. biscaynes

biscaynes

X2!! :rolleyes:

7. ZAPPER68

ZAPPER68
    from BC

<!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    I posted this a few days ago on the HAMB "Drag cars in Motion' thread and I'm hoping I'll geta better response here on this thread...I own the '66 L72 Biscayne that was bought new by Dick Ribaudo (RIP) from Duluth MN. The car was raced extensively (B/S) by Dick and later by John Bezdichek (sp) from New Ulm MN. Does anyone have info or pictures of the car back in the day when it raced at Minnesota dragways? I have been in touch with Dick's son and both he and I would like more info if available. The car was Aztec bronze with a fawn interior. Thanks in advance.
    Regards
    Cal
    <!-- / message -->

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  8. socalmerc

socalmerc
    from socal

hey guys, i own tom nejas ramp truck that he built and have been trying to get a hold of the guy who bought his 57 wagon to see he would like to buy the ramp truck. if anybody knows him could you pass this on to him. the cab was to far gone to save and i was gonna put a coe cab on it that i had but now i just want to sell it. i would like to see it go to some one who would use to haul there drag car with it, since thats what he built it for. heres the link to where i have it for sale on hamb
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=737450

9. AHotRod

AHotRod

I hope to see this thread not die, lots of pictures have disapeared.

10. bfnjz52

bfnjz52

A buddy loaned me a copy of the 1963-64 Mid Eastern Drag News Annual.

[​IMG]

I scanned the Junior stockers in it. Apologies up front if these have been posted previously.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. bobbyj2030

bobbyj2030

Does anyone remember Sam Cunningham? Ran a 61 Vette. Was National Champion several years. From Nederland, Texas. Known as Mr. Shortblock

12. biscaynes

biscaynes

nice shot of the monster mash, thks!

13. danubeblue65

danubeblue65

Does anyone remember or know anything about Perry Lovelady? He took Stock eliminator at the 1969 NHRA Winter Championships running L/S in a 56 Chevy called Zip Code. Anybody know what became of him or the car?

14. 66cayne

66cayne

You might also try posting this on the 'Chevy Talk' 65-70 big car forum. Several B body L72 guys posting there...

15. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Runs like this happened every weekend at local tracks back in the days of Junior Stock.

[​IMG]

16. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Early musclecars were abundant at local tracks every weekend. A common sight in the Junior Stock days was a pair of GTOs battling it out for class honors.

[​IMG]

17. ZAPPER68

ZAPPER68
    from BC

Thanks for the lead...however, I have been a member of that site for a couple of years and have asked for the same information there, unfortunately without any luck. I do appreciate your input.

18. danubeblue65

danubeblue65

I recently picked up a copy of "Junior Stock: Drag Racing the Family Sedan" and I have found it to be an excellent book. The pictures, stats, and stories in this book are priceless.
    There are a few racers mentioned in it that I can't seem to find anything else about though. Anybody have pictures or information about any of the following-
    Otis Grigsby-Division 3 points champion for 1967.
    Wayne Etter-Division 5 points champion for 1967.
    Roger Danivik-also spelled "Dinivik," from Nebraska.

19. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is an excellent book. 1964/1965 sections bring back lots of memories. Very well researched and nicely written.

20. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

1962 Indianapolis Nationals trophy run for D/SA

[​IMG]

21. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

Looks like 'Pop' Kennedy in the Reynolds Buick entry in the far lane. Was class champion in 61 or 62 running the Nailhead and a Dynaflo trans. I am not sure of his racing sucess this day though.
    He went on to become the 'Kenne' of Kenne-Bell fame.

22. POPSTAGE2

POPSTAGE2
    from Wisconsin

The 61 Invicta was D S/A class champ at the US NATS in 61 & 62 so yes, it did win here.
    Also the Invicta won 38 consecutive races between May '61 and Sept '61.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Mag00

Mag00
    from CA

The Album "Fresh" came out in 1967...So...."i feel free" or cat's squirell" would both easily pass tech...

24. t.canter

t.canter

This one lives and was just restored.

Attached Files:

25. Lost Creep

Lost Creep
    from Indiana

P426,
    Pete, a belated "thank you" for the pictures you posted in September. I haven't visited this thread since Sept.14th.....little did I know you were gonna be posting your typical quality pictures shortly after. Great pic's Pete and it was good to see "P426" on the screen again.

Eddie

PS - thank you also bfnjz52 ....neat pictures.

26. I know what you're referring to, but I doubt many other do.
    Quote the post or at least post the number of it.... please!

27. Bob Bender

Bob Bender

Look what I found. Thought I lost all my old pics.

Attached Files:

28. butch70462

butch70462

yes met him in Nederland early 80's he had a farm and was into redoing tractors had vett in shop Butch ps realy nice guy

29. Marty Knox

Marty Knox

Did anyone keep their Raceway News from Englishtown or Competion Copyright from Island Dragway in the early 70's? I had some I kept until my basement flooded and ruined them.

30. Shovel83

Shovel83
    from FL.

I bought this car in 1975 from a man in Red springs N.C. Iwent through motor & transmission and raced it in bracket . my email is [email protected] my is Larry